Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just getting my new Leaf e+ and have arranged for a home charger to be fitted but it occurred to me, who should fit my smart meter?
I have found out on the SSE site that their engineer will require access to the gas meter to monitor the gas usage.

Should I have the electricians touch my gas supply or can I trust the gasman with my electrics?
Am I getting paranoid in Lockdown?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I would hope that the person dispatched by SSE to touch a gas meter is suitably qualified!

Both our smart meters ('leccy and gas) were installed by the same guy during the same visit. Our supplier is Octopus and the fitting was sub-contracted to SMS (smart metering services)

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,658 Posts
When OVO switched me to a smart meter, about 4 years ago, the same guy did the electrics and gas. He replaced the whole gas meter.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I am just getting my new Leaf e+ and have arranged for a home charger to be fitted but it occurred to me, who should fit my smart meter?
I have found out on the SSE site that their engineer will require access to the gas meter to monitor the gas usage.

Should I have the electricians touch my gas supply or can I trust the gasman with my electrics?
Am I getting paranoid in Lockdown?
If you're getting electricity AND gas from the same supplier then they would normally fit both smart meters at the same time. If you've split the contract (which often gives better results e.g. Octopus are far cheaper than any other electricity supplier but not competitive for gas) then the smart meter fitter shouldn't be touching the 'other' meter. But as roger davis said above if a meter fitter is sent to fit both meters they'll be qualified to work on both fuels.

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,274 Posts
Any meter installers should be fully qualified to be working on both gas and electricity. I’ve not been with SSE for home energy but have had boiler cover with them in the past and their engineer seemed just as competent doing electrical work as he did with gas when I had my full heating system replaced.

Likewise with my smart meter install most recently done by ESB Energy, their installer replaced both gas and electricity meters without any problems.

·
Registered
217 Posts
As said - whoever you get your services from. They will be fully qualified.

Do note that its worth double checking you want to keep using the services from your current supplier long term. Most of the time, if you switch provider, your smart meter will return to being dumb (only occasionally can suppliers get info from each other's meters - an issue that was supposed to be sorted many years ago). Also if you want to go onto any of the "Smart" tariffs - the meter will need to be the one from your utility provider.
I'm currently on my third smart meter in 5 years, and only discovered I couldn't go onto my current supplier's "smart" tariff as they only supported it on their old meters (and they put a new one in). The current meter apparently stopped sending readings back to the supplier a few months ago (in home unit and view in the linked "SmartThings" app is fine) so I'm back to sending them meter readings till they complete their system reset (which apparently can take 6 weeks).

I've still not saved any money from having any of the smart meters.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
As said - whoever you get your services from. They will be fully qualified.

Do note that its worth double checking you want to keep using the services from your current supplier long term. Most of the time, if you switch provider, your smart meter will return to being dumb (only occasionally can suppliers get info from each other's meters - an issue that was supposed to be sorted many years ago). Also if you want to go onto any of the "Smart" tariffs - the meter will need to be the one from your utility provider.
I'm currently on my third smart meter in 5 years, and only discovered I couldn't go onto my current supplier's "smart" tariff as they only supported it on their old meters (and they put a new one in). The current meter apparently stopped sending readings back to the supplier a few months ago (in home unit and view in the linked "SmartThings" app is fine) so I'm back to sending them meter readings till they complete their system reset (which apparently can take 6 weeks).

I've still not saved any money from having any of the smart meters.
SMETS2 is what you want.

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
770 Posts
Is it just the meter itself that gets replaced? My box is very full with an extra consumer unit that my charger runs off so dont want them to mess it up

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,274 Posts
Is it just the meter itself that gets replaced? My box is very full with an extra consumer unit that my charger runs off so dont want them to mess it up
With a meter upgrade or replacement yes. They will rip one out and put another straight in. They won’t be touching your fuse box or anything like that, although they may leave you with a notice to say they recommend you upgrade it. Purely optional, as long as your current setup is safe however.

If your meter box is very full however you may have an issue with a smart meter install if you’re coming from a rather small meter right now. You may need an extra unit fitted to enable the 2 meters, your IHD and the supplier to all communicate with each other depending on what make and model of meter is being installed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts