Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zoe is due back on a few months at end of PCP? If RCi offer reasonable balloon payment I am considering keeping it.
However, I wonder: How will I ever get rid off Zoe in the future?
I accept that the car might not have any value in a couple of years, but what do I do with the car to stop the battery lease? If I can't sell it, do I ask renault to collect it to stop having to pay for the battery?
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. Its not as if we can extract the battery from the car and return just the battery to RCI.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. Its not as if we can extract the battery from the car and return just the battery to RCI.
Well... I think you can but you would need to pay to have it removed.

If you sell it on as normal the buyer just takes a new rental on the battery and you advise RCI.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What if nobody wants to buy a four or fife year old electric car. What do you do? I can't just scrap it, meanwhile I will have to keep paying RCI?

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
9,005 Posts
Someone will take it. It just might be at a low price. There's no choice about the lease. You have to pay it. If you have to scrap the car you supposedly take the batteries out and return them somehow.

I'd think one with an extended warranty, assuming it's transferable,would be easier to sell on.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure if you ever get rid off it? What if there is a costly repair which you don't want to undertake.
What is a owned Zoe exit strategy. I can scrap an ICE or SORN it. With the battery lease the clock keeps ticking.

·
Premium Member
11,980 Posts
RCI have been offering that at end of PCP you can pay CAP rather than GFV but often you have to ask. Sometimes more than once!

If a Zoe is out of warranty and has no extended warranty, an expensive repair might cause it to be uneconomic. In that case Renault will recycle the car and work with RCI to reuse the battery. Hopefully most owners will take out extended warranty to reduce risk of this - it is transferable to a new owner.

People are entitled to their opinion that a 5+ year old battery lease Zoe won't sell, but it isn't an opinion I share. I believe in 2020 a Zoe with extended warranty will be a popular 2nd car due to known, low, fixed running costs.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RCI have been offering that at end of PCP you can pay CAP rather than GFV but often you have to ask. Sometimes more than once!

If a Zoe is out of warranty and has no extended warranty, an expensive repair might cause it to be uneconomic. In that case Renault will recycle the car and work with RCI to reuse the battery. Hopefully most owners will take out extended warranty to reduce risk of this - it is transferable to a new owner.

People are entitled to their opinion that a 5+ year old battery lease Zoe won't sell, but it isn't an opinion I share. I believe in 2020 a Zoe with extended warranty will be a popular 2nd car due to known, low, fixed running costs.
Do you reckon you can just hand the car back to result in a few years? I understand that there a lot of different opinions, etc. Just trying to understand what the worst case would be. Hand the car back to Renault and be done with it? No argument with RCI?

·
Premium Member
11,980 Posts
Do you reckon you can just hand the car back to result in a few years? I understand that there a lot of different opinions, etc. Just trying to understand what the worst case would be. Hand the car back to Renault and be done with it? No argument with RCI?
Even at 8 years old, I am sure a Renault dealer would buy it off you and sell on. Small cheap EVs will be in high demand in 2022 and new ones probably won't be much cheaper by then.

Bear in mind that people are currently buying old Fluence for over £1000 and that is a car that only charges at 3kW and has battery rental that costs more than a Zoe!

Worst case is you give car away if someone takes over battery rental. As low as £50 a month to drive a car with battery warranty - I think you would get plenty of takers!

Reactions: rjo103 and Neilew

·
Registered
519 Posts
Someone has just been told by Renault that the 5 year drive train warrany is conditional upon the reuptake of the general warranty. This suggests the the drive train warranty is separate to the general warranty. If you take the extended warrany will the drive train be covered from year 6 onwards by the extended warranty? Im genuinely not sure now. Does anyone have a clearer view on this?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Extended Warranty Prices

Renault Extended Warranty is designed to provide you with ongoing protection from mechanical and electrical failure after the original warranty has ended.

Model Name Policy Cost
Twingo, Clio, Captur, Megane, Kangoo £229
Twizy, ZOE, Kangoo ZE £289
Kadjar, Scenic, Grand Scenic, Clio Renaultsport, Megane Renaultsport £349
Trafic, Master £699
What are the benefits of Renault Extended Warranty?

T
  • Full cost of parts, labour and VAT for any number of claims*
  • Out of pocket expenses like towing, car hire and overnight accommodation are all included
  • The cover is valid for trips to EU countries as well as throughout the UK
  • When purchasing online, you will have the option to pay by direct debit or in full, by credit or debit card

·
Premium Member
11,980 Posts
Someone has just been told by Renault that the 5 year drive train warrany is conditional upon the reuptake of the general warranty. This suggests the the drive train warranty is separate to the general warranty. If you take the extended warrany will the drive train be covered from year 6 onwards by the extended warranty? Im genuinely not sure now. Does anyone have a clearer view on this?
Who in Renault? Some oik who knows naff all? Attached is latest official warranty details. Odd that battery included 40kWh model isn't handled correctly in an Aug 17 version though!

Attachments

·
2quidforhalfanhour
394 Posts
I think the OP has hit the nail on the head with this.
And is one thing that puts me off buying mine.
He's saying what if, for whatever reason, you can't sell it?
If it's not under warranty and it stops working, chances are you would be looking at an uneconomic repair in 5 years' time.
Even if it is under warranty, anyone that has had to make a claim on a 5 year old car would know that any warranty provider would fight tooth and nail not to have to pay out, and use any excuse they deem fit.
Who's going to want to buy a lump of metal that doesn't move and has a battery lease attached to it?!
The point is, no-one knows how that owner would be absolved from paying RCI for battery rental forever.
Can't be legal on any level for RCI not to include this in the terms of the battery lease, unless it is hidden away somewhere.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Who in Renault? Some oik who knows naff all? Attached is latest official warranty details. Odd that battery included 40kWh model isn't handled correctly in an Aug 17 version though!
RCS after consulting their laywers apparently. They have offered to pay 50% of the cost of the repair (total cost 5k) as a good will gesture and told the customer if he doesn't like it to go to the the motor ombudsman. Quite poor.

·
Premium Member
11,980 Posts
RCS after consulting their laywers apparently. They have offered to pay 50% as a good will gesture and told the customer if he doesn't like it to go to the the motor ombudsman. Quite poor.
Well the warranty is black and white and attached. This is "he said they said" and all heresay. Any links to facts on this example?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Head over to the stop electric failure thread. Im not trying to convince anyone just asking a question based on conversation on this forum. You don't believe the op that's up to you.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I'm interested to know about this. I always assumed that you would just be able to hand the car back to a Renault dealer and walk away (with no money changing hands). The talk over on the other thread, this post specifically; STOP Electric Failure DANGER has me feeling a bit nervous about that assumption now.

·
Premium Member
11,980 Posts
I'm interested to know about this. I always assumed that you would just be able to hand the car back to a Renault dealer and walk away (with no money changing hands). The talk over on the other thread, this post specifically; STOP Electric Failure DANGER has me feeling a bit nervous about that assumption now.
Yes as per EU law and on Renault web site with no exclusions.

Environment | Discover Renault | Renault UK

I find the "£600 to investigate fault" story all a bit odd and wonder if there is more to it than being disclosed...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts