Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surprised to see there are 13 hydrogen stations on zap map. They seem to be all owned by universities, oil companies or car companies. I don't think they are open to the public as there are no feed backs or network info. Are there any commercial hydrogen cars available to buy in the UK yet?

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
I was surprised to see there are 13 hydrogen stations on zap map. They seem to be all owned by universities, oil companies or car companies. I don't think they are open to the public as there are no feed backs or network info. Are there any commercial hydrogen cars available to buy in the UK yet?
Yes, a few.

Cobham is open to the public and I think a few others.

Read an article that said it was very easy to use, but you might need to call ahead to check they had H2 before you left...

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
Our ICE-bound journey today between Lechlade and Hungerford took us past the Honda factory and in both directions I saw a little sign saying "For hydrogen refuelling follow Honda".

This must take a prize as the roadsign applicable to the smallest number of drivers on the road! It would have been cheaper to just ring them all up and let them know...

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
Our ICE-bound journey today between Lechlade and Hungerford took us past the Honda factory and in both directions I saw a little sign saying "For hydrogen refuelling follow Honda".

This must take a prize as the roadsign applicable to the smallest number of drivers on the road! It would have been cheaper to just ring him up and let him know...
Think this might be more accurate given the geographic dispersion of the cars set against their range and the leakiness of the tanks (don't leave it parked for a month or it'll be empty).

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
Judging by the fact there are somewhere around 50 FCEVs on the road today, I imagine almost all of these are demo or trial vehicles for those in the industry.

I'd love to hear from someone who actually bought one as a daily driver.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Judging by the fact there are somewhere around 50 FCEVs on the road today, I imagine almost all of these are demo or trial vehicles for those in the industry.

I'd love to hear from someone who actually bought one as a daily driver.
On the road meaning taxed and insured. Wow that’s higher than I thought.
I agree that it’s likely most of not all are companies showing off the cars. RiverSimple have a number of HFC cars, maybe one of theirs is leased out to someone.
Someone would have to be pretty well clued up on the restrictions to actually buy one with their own money.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,354 Posts
I guess they are mostly 'researchy' situations, and if you were to contact the relevant owner and mention that you happened to pick up a cheap hydrogen powered car off autotrader, then they'd be more than happy to let you use it so that they can 'study you'.

This is like Blu-Ray vs HD DVD all over again, except the losing side doesn't know when to accept defeat...
In this case, however, the 'losing side' just happens to be the way that will allow Big Gov to carry on taxing us, while the 'winning side' is an insurgent guerilla movement against Big Gov/Bog Oil interests. That makes the whole thing skewed and less predictable.

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
On the road meaning taxed and insured. Wow that’s higher than I thought.
I agree that it’s likely most of not all are companies showing off the cars. RiverSimple have a number of HFC cars, maybe one of theirs is leased out to someone.
Someone would have to be pretty well clued up on the restrictions to actually buy one with their own money.
Well there's 30 non-SORNed Mirai on the road:

Search results for 'Toyota Mirai ' - How Many Left?

The only other ones are the Honda Clarity (which doesn't register yet) and the Hyundai Tucson (I think!)

Next time I'm at a Toyota dealership I might ask if they're actually selling them, and not just doing a fixed term lease.

What's interesting is that pretty much all of the H2 fuelling stations are paid for by government research grants. Not by the oil companies.

Why on earth would you pay £50 to fill up your FCEV when you can fuel a BEV at home for around £10.

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
Telegraph and autocad review said it wasn't coming to the UK - the autocar photos had a 66 plate car which should be showing by now.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
the leakiness of the tanks (don't leave it parked for a month or it'll be empty).
Is that still true of current generation vehicles?

I'm no fan of hydrogen cars, but there's plenty of valid arguments apart from that one which I thought was largely solved. OTOH, if I'm wrong I'd be glad to know.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
im glad we have a H2 fueling network for research purposes. Best not to block technology or pick winners using our own bias. let it freely evolve. Some of these H2 stations are 10 years old now tho. I wouldn't like to see any more money go on these tho. Cos if noones using them, its just waste.

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
Well no-one is about to picket H2 pumps. :)

It can evolve all it likes with the current number of FCEV sales annually. It's probably a technology that might have caught on, had it not been for those damn battery powered cars!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Well no-one is about to picket H2 pumps. :)

It can evolve all it likes with the current number of FCEV sales annually. It's probably a technology that might have caught on, had it not been for those damn battery powered cars!
Or the cost of hydrogen, difficulty making it, inefficiencies of making it, difficulties of transporting and storing it, cost of the precious metals required for the fuel cells, cost of the high grade components and storage vessels in the cars, difficulties and requirements for the servicing of cars, ..................

Although I did watch Fully Charged today and Orkney seems to have too much electricity and so are making hydrogen on one island to make electricity via fuel cells on other islands for the ferries when they are docked.

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
Is that still true of current generation vehicles?

I'm no fan of hydrogen cars, but there's plenty of valid arguments apart from that one which I thought was largely solved. OTOH, if I'm wrong I'd be glad to know.
Quick google and found this (thanks to cah for the hint about ITM)

http://www.itm-power.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/CaseStudy6-HomeRefueller.pdf

"• Internal leakage dilution by forced air flow through all elements of the system to avoid the need for costly explosion-proof technologies within the enclosure"

And page 7 of this one

https://h2tools.org/sites/default/files/ix35 FCEV ERG_Eng.pdf

"FCEV releases low concentration hydrogen while operating FCEV. The released gas is diluted through a ventilation system equipped in the vehicle before the gas gets into the inside of vehicle and the diluted gas releases to the surroundings."

Not conclusive, but does suggest that they are just working around the issue ...

1 - 20 of 58 Posts