Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the official price that we've heard for the MG 5 is around £24k, about the same as the ZS EV official price. I guess we'll see the difference in the dealer discounts or whatever?

WLTP of the ZS is 163 miles versus 214 on the 5 EV.

ZS is 4.31m vs 4.54m for the 5. And the bootspace is 470litres versus 578litres.

As far as I know the 5 can't do ACC nor does it have a sunroof.

In lots of ways that matter though, it just seems to me that the 5 will outclass the ZS in most of the features that matter to the average punter. It just seems strange to me for a company to offer two cars with about the same official price but one that's pretty obviously superior.

How will that work? Will we just see heavier discounting on the ZS?

·
Registered
147 Posts
ZS is already getting discounted. I suspect with a facelift coming there'll be a list price increase, which they can then discount a bit.

Compact SUV crossover things massively outsell midsize estate cars though. I might want an estate, you might want an estate, but the vast majority of people don't.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have (well the missus does) an MG ZS EV Exclusive. Looking to get the MG 5 though for myself went its released. My local dealer says it will be available in the same trim styles as the ZS , ie. Excite & Exclusive.
Will know more on the 22nd.
Happy with the Exclusive spec so I'd look for that again - can't have the missus having more toys than me ! (ooerrr !! lol)

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
The MG 5 will not have a sun roof or MG Pilot.

The ZS EV facelift is rumoured to be arriving around April 2021, with a 65kWh battery.

Reactions: garypersonaltrai

·
Registered
562 Posts
The MG 5 will not have a sun roof or MG Pilot.

The ZS EV facelift is rumoured to be arriving around April 2021, with a 65kWh battery.
That's good news. Even if the price goes up a bit, I think the ZS will be tough to beat with that. That's probably going to mean 220 mile plus range in a cross over form that people seem to love atm.

·
Registered
562 Posts
So the official price that we've heard for the MG 5 is around £24k, about the same as the ZS EV official price. I guess we'll see the difference in the dealer discounts or whatever?

WLTP of the ZS is 163 miles versus 214 on the 5 EV.

ZS is 4.31m vs 4.54m for the 5. And the bootspace is 470litres versus 578litres.

As far as I know the 5 can't do ACC nor does it have a sunroof.

In lots of ways that matter though, it just seems to me that the 5 will outclass the ZS in most of the features that matter to the average punter. It just seems strange to me for a company to offer two cars with about the same official price but one that's pretty obviously superior.

How will that work? Will we just see heavier discounting on the ZS?
There's one problem with that: this kind of body style isn't in vogue with people buying family cars at the moment, and as I've said before with this thing, it is a very bad mix of bland and ugly which might be a tough sell with those that would typically buy a crossover like a Kona, Niro or suchlike.

If you want an estate, can live with bland/ugly, no active cruise and can live with the thought that this costs £11K in China as an ICE car then it is definitely for you.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,971 Posts
I’m surprised they’re shipping the 5 without MG Pilot. It’s one of the things that makes the ZS EV such good value for money - you don’t see such features in EVs below £30k.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I’m surprised they’re shipping the 5 without MG Pilot. It’s one of the things that makes the ZS EV such good value for money - you don’t see such features in EVs below £30k.

perhaps its aimed at the company car market

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you want an estate, can live with bland/ugly, no active cruise and can live with the thought that this costs £11K in China as an ICE car then it is definitely for you.
I assume the ZS costs a lot less in ICE form in China too - it costs a lot less in ICE form in the U.K.!

·
Registered
562 Posts
I assume the ZS costs a lot less in ICE form in China too - it costs a lot less in ICE form in the U.K.!
Good point!

Maybe MG's next EV will be built on an EV exclusive skateboard platform so that we don't make these comparisons :)

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
ZS EV 70-plate with zero mileage available for £20k (pre-reg by a few days!), and Exclusive for £22k.

MG5 will be 24-26k for a few months yet so 4 grand more than the ZS.

You can get a Niro hybrid for 22k online, the EV is well over 10 grand more. The ICE vs EV price comparison is everywhere.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,971 Posts
Makes sense @Curley if they all end up as pool cars.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
24 Posts
I'd skip the 5, need a car that has some height to it, so the missus can get in, and out of the car.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Crossovers / SUV's are the "In Vogue" style fashion at the present and it has been that way for a while now.
I can't see that changing any time soon either.
They have definitely stolen the lead from the once extremely popular five door hatchback that's for sure !.
The SUV / Crossover appears to have a wider age group attraction, with their higher ride and practical use for young families, I can see their popular appeal.
If you want a sporty looking, really stylish car then with an SUV - you are looking in the wrong place I.M.H.O.
It's all about practicality, form over function it is not.
I think the estate car will attract a smaller number of customers than the SUV only because estate cars have always been smaller volume over other body styles.
I think if you dislike the shape of pretty much every SUV regardless of its size, then the MG5 is a good option.
Why - because it's clearly a car at heart in almost every sense, but with the added advantage of similar space of a SUV.
Most people would mistake it as a normal ICE estate car, which is fantastic if you don't want to shout about your EV credential's.
It is not really the type of car you would expect to be a full BEV ?.
Great that it is though !.
The choice is a simple one really - MG ZS EV ( SUV ) or MG 5 ( Car / Estate ).
One style you will love, the other you are going to hate.
I therefore think the choice is really easy in many respects.
The MG 5 may not have a sun roof, but neither does the ZS EV Excite.
If I was considering a MG 5 as a true family car, then check if it can accommodate a roof top box.
The ZS EV Excite can not accept a roof top box, because it has no roof rails.
Just saying.

·
Registered
62 Posts
What’s the difference between a hatchback and an estate, about 40 cms. And the Passat estate has always been a big seller, 2nd hand dealers never have one hanging around so I think there will be a big market for the MG5. We can’t rule out how working from home will roll out for sales teams who will need to pack materials overhead projectors etc. but don’t use vans. It just could have a big market. But then I’m a bit biased because I’ve owned 2 Passats and kept them for many years. I‘ve also owned Astras (actually more reliable) for work use too. Not sure how long the MG5 is but the penny might just drop for how it can be used and it could be a great success.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The ICE ZS costs around 9k to 14k in China I'm surprised at the almost price parity to be honest, not because I thought the Chinese market can't afford it they're well off enough just surprised that we/the EU don't slap on a massive tarrif on the imported cars.

·
Registered
503 Posts
the China pricing is always very confusing because the government there is constantly changing its subsidy policy. But at the moment on the website www.saicmg.com you can see a new ICE ZS starts at £9,600 (!), the EZS £14,400, but they don't sell MG5 EV in China, that bodystyle is sold as MG6 but only as a PHEV. this is typical of MG whose lineup tends to chop and change and vary considerably, they are still trying to get rid of RHD ICE MG3 hatchbacks here which they stopped selling in China years ago. As for price differences in China, you can watch a premier league game for 60p live whereas in the UK a now TV daypass is £10!

·
Zoe Devotee
9,135 Posts
If the 5 had released before or at the same time as the ZS I could have seen myself in the 5. Only for the extra range and space in the boot. But having driven the ZS for 6 months I can safely say I think I picked the right car, the boot is sufficiently big enough for my family. We all like the shape, like the high up view out but the smaller footprint than an estate. ACC even pre-comfort2 update is used fairly often. We all love the full glass roof, the blind is rarely closed. Lets so much light in (but not too much since its tinted), interior is light and airy for it. Kids are always looking up out of it.

Reactions: booms and TiJayFLY

·
Registered
562 Posts
Crossovers / SUV's are the "In Vogue" style fashion at the present and it has been that way for a while now.
I can't see that changing any time soon either.
They have definitely stolen the lead from the once extremely popular five door hatchback that's for sure !.
The SUV / Crossover appears to have a wider age group attraction, with their higher ride and practical use for young families, I can see their popular appeal.
If you want a sporty looking, really stylish car then with an SUV - you are looking in the wrong place I.M.H.O.
It's all about practicality, form over function it is not.
I think the estate car will attract a smaller number of customers than the SUV only because estate cars have always been smaller volume over other body styles.
I think if you dislike the shape of pretty much every SUV regardless of its size, then the MG5 is a good option.
Why - because it's clearly a car at heart in almost every sense, but with the added advantage of similar space of a SUV.
Most people would mistake it as a normal ICE estate car, which is fantastic if you don't want to shout about your EV credential's.
It is not really the type of car you would expect to be a full BEV ?.
Great that it is though !.
The choice is a simple one really - MG ZS EV ( SUV ) or MG 5 ( Car / Estate ).
One style you will love, the other you are going to hate.
I therefore think the choice is really easy in many respects.
The MG 5 may not have a sun roof, but neither does the ZS EV Excite.
If I was considering a MG 5 as a true family car, then check if it can accommodate a roof top box.
The ZS EV Excite can not accept a roof top box, because it has no roof rails.
Just saying.
I much prefer the drive and looks of an estate over a crossover.

But in this instance I don't think I'd get the MG5 as it looks bland + awful. It is a generation behind even MG's own design language.

The underpinnings are also questionable for the price IMO.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts