Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Who's going to buy a ZS EV instead of an MG 5 EV?

18K views 95 replies 26 participants last post by  TJEV 
#1 ·
So the official price that we've heard for the MG 5 is around £24k, about the same as the ZS EV official price. I guess we'll see the difference in the dealer discounts or whatever?

WLTP of the ZS is 163 miles versus 214 on the 5 EV.

ZS is 4.31m vs 4.54m for the 5. And the bootspace is 470litres versus 578litres.

As far as I know the 5 can't do ACC nor does it have a sunroof.

In lots of ways that matter though, it just seems to me that the 5 will outclass the ZS in most of the features that matter to the average punter. It just seems strange to me for a company to offer two cars with about the same official price but one that's pretty obviously superior.

How will that work? Will we just see heavier discounting on the ZS?

#54 ·
For fleet maybe. It’s not going to do their image any favours in the consumer market.

#68 ·
I dunno MG is still fairly low volume sales. Seeing a ton of MG branded EV estates being used by fleets will get folk thinking about the brand again. Remember cars don't have to be solely about the looks, if the car is spacious, competent and priced right who cares?

Reactions: TJEV
#56 ·
If the comments by James Coates are right about improved interior build quality and its good range it’s a winner. Can’t help think the front isn’t too dissimilar to my 6 year old Passat, they have tidied up the charge port opening stiffened the suspension to better suit European roads and taste. It’s also 22 cm shorter than the Passat which often overhangs parking spaces.
it will be great for touring holidays, if we’re ever allowed them again. We could end up being a 2 ev family at this rate.

#59 ·
I meant that what we know as MGs over here are also badged as MG in China, and follow a consistent design language designed for an international market. Whereas the 5 is adapted from a slightly older Roewe, which are more for the domestic market and don’t really fit in with the current MG lineup...

Reactions: Favguy
#60 ·
The reason is there was no intention to actually bring the car here, until a last minute decision was made to cash in on a gap in the market for an EV estate, following the enormous success of the ZS EV. So it was quickly "tweaked" and the badges swapped out, no time for an MG facelift. We have already lost consistent design language anyway, as the latest ZS has just thrown out the previous 3/ZS/ZSEV/HS family look we were all just getting used to for a ford looky likey face! So we now actually have 3 different faces on the go at once!!

#63 ·
Agreed its a good car for taxi work. I still prefer the look of the ZS EV. Perhaps they should have kept the same grill and wheels as the ZS EV. It would have looked much better.

Reactions: TJEV
#65 ·
Maybe I'm mad. I think it looks better than the ZS! But of course I haven't seen one in the metal yet. Quite a nice blue colour in the configurator should help it look a bit less utilitarian -- but what's wrong with utilitarian anyway? Fashion -- pah. But I do like the new Peugeot 208!

#69 ·
I worked for a company who gave me a new estate every 6000 miles or six montha they all came with around 3 to 4 months tax left and were then sold for more than they paid for them as they got them so cheap for buying them in huge quantity's

I never want another estate ever again, I'm sick of them

#74 ·
ACC is fine and all, but you forgot the bigger boot on the ZS and most importantly, full glass roof.

#80 · (Edited)
Just checking and Miles says in the recent video its 464ltr with parcel shelf in place, so less capacity than ZS EV which is 470ltr with parcel shelf in place.

With seats folded the MG5 is 1456 and the ZS is 1375. So in normal mode the ZS is bigger, for maximum load capacity the MG5 is bigger.

#76 ·
ACC is important IMO. Even if they'd just put a purely radar based system in, it would have been fine.

I'm assuming this means no AEB either?

#79 ·
Still safer than most taxis out there, I guess. At least the steering will be straight and it'll have less than 200,000 miles on the battery.

Edit: I'm still not thrilled about MG going back to rebadging old cars, and stand by my statement that it'll be bad for image. Their current brand image is new/high tech cars for cheap, which delivers excellent value. Apart from the drivetrain, the MG5 is basically from the 90s.

#83 ·
They should just wait until it’s properly ready for the modern western market. This is half-assed.

And who’s going to buy it knowing it’ll be replaced next year? Consumers won’t. Uber drivers like old Toyotas too much, and mini cab firms drive old diesel Mercs. Mondeo Man drives 80,000 miles a day and wants to refuel in five minutes. Where’s the market?

Reactions: rogerdee
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.