Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sometimes it's scary to see something so expensive be sold for so cheap. Is it a good deal? Is it legit? Why is the i3 so cheap? My take on it is that it's in a very unique situation that allows it to be sold at such deep discounts.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
It’s a nightmare out of warranty.

·
Registered
BMW i3 REx 2014
274 Posts
A family member bought a 2015, approved used Bmw model. Low mileage.

within 3 months of ownership it had 9k in repairs!
Can you tell us the failed items, mine was steering rack, parking pawl, strut bearings, EME and a KLE recall. Want to see if there are other failure modes .....

·
Registered
138 Posts
While this is a dire state of affairs for those involved I suspect its not the "norm" for i3s or they wouldn't be as popular as they are. I'm sure those with a lemon will feel bitter, but to add just one balancing experience, we are three years in, no failures, no complaints, no warranty claims, and total cost of servicing so far is £240 48, which may actually see us through the 4th year as well, other than the MOT due soon. I've never had a car as cheap to run...

...unless of course such statements amount to a kiss of death!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Can you tell us the failed items, mine was steering rack, parking pawl, strut bearings, EME and a KLE recall. Want to see if there are other failure modes .....
First failure within a week of ownership was the multimedia system. New unit around £1800.

big failure was battery management related £5500 part.

·
Registered
BMW i3 REx 2014
274 Posts
First failure within a week of ownership was the multimedia system. New unit around £1800.

The EME is around £5.5K (need to drop the entire rear engine/transmission to replace) and the head unit around £1500 exchange: BMW parts list online

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
USA, but UK should experience the same reasoning for depreciating prices of the i3.
My 2 1/2 year old i3 120Ah has just been valued by a dealer at £6000 more than I was offered at the start of the year. They clearly think that they can sell it on if I decide to trade it in. Twenty percent depreciation (after taking into account the PICG) over 30 months is pretty good. I was told that they don't expect these market conditions to last (but they would say that wouldn't they): it is simply supply and demand.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I suspect that the stories of problems out of warranty apply to the earlier cars. My 2016 car has had no problems at all. Have any of you i3 owners had issues with cars after the first battery upgrade?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts