Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I contacted Waitrose and got the same reply as @Stag/leaf. The only difference is they swapped out Truro for Leek. Also contacted Sainsbury's and was told it would be passed on to the relevant team. So, no one has any plans for chargers up here in the Moorlands...guess they prefer it to be polluted with more ICE cars.

·
Registered
610 Posts
As the branch in Milngavie* is not due to open until later this year, unfortunately we can’t disclose any information at the moment because of the sensitive nature of this development.
I asked Waitrose too about charge points at the Milngavie store and they responded that they 'don't have any plans for this at present' but would 'pass on the suggestion' (presumably, to the bin!).

·
Registered
271 Posts
Every time I look at the MK area on the zap-map, I think they have way too many rapids there. I need these many in London please ! Especially in the SE, where it seems to be rather "dry".

Our favourite Waitrose here has quite few chargers, most of them not used throughout the day. They get usually ICEd by yummy mummies in their colossal "safety" devices.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,877 Posts
Every time I look at the MK area on the zap-map, I think they have way too many rapids there. I need these many in London please ! Especially in the SE, where it seems to be rather "dry".

Our favourite Waitrose here has quite few chargers, most of them not used throughout the day. They get usually ICEd by yummy mummies in their colossal "safety" devices.

I wonder if some of the MK Rapids will get relocated due to lack of use :p

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,786 Posts
Just to do a holy thread revival...

I emailed waitrose a short while ago to ask about charging and I got more or less the same same canned reply a previous poster had in Feb 2015!

@**** pestered & my reply

We do have a number of charging points across our estate but we have taken a pause from installing currently so that we can assess how the points are being used, the best locations and the right type of charging posts. The market for EVs and the charging infrastructure has changed in the last few years and we want to make sure that we install the best solutions in the most appropriate sites.
I really don't think they're serious about sustainability. If Asda are putting chargers in all their stores then they're well ahead.

For visits to my local waitrose I don't need to charge.

When I'm in other non local towns I'd want to rapid charge while popping into a Waitrose. That's a big EV draw right there. If they don't provide that facility then I'll be using a supermarket that does and then that could lead to a permanent shift to that supermarket. If Sainsburys start putting in chargers in all their stores that's a big threat as they're the brand that is most able to poach waitrose customers.

Someone earlier mentioned Leek Waitrose. There is also a new Uttoxeter one and they haven't put a single EV charger in there either.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
They have been rather half-hearted about it. Unfortunately I think they were screwed by the owners of the chargers. The ones I have used have been PodPoint. Usually broken on at least one side, non-working phone number etc. Of course they have to be near the shop in the prime spaces, because digging a trench costs money.

ASDA and Sainsbury's did much better. Multiple chargers with no silly cards, just plug-in and use. Sensibly positioned, rarely ICEd.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well. A few years on, it's 'amusing' the see how things are slowly moving on, and also not.

Having plugged into one of 4 chargers at their Hereford branch (on a family visit to the city), I'd asked if their branches in my area might follow:-

" We currently offer electrical vehicle charging in 35 of our stores, which is over 10% of Waitrose and Partners' estate.

We are currently reviewing our strategy around electric vehicle charging, however there is no immediate plans to install these at Salisbury.

We have logged your request for provision at Salisbury and will take this in to account when we review branch locations for electric vehicle charging points in the future."

Keep asking, gang. We'll wear them out eventually!

When I plugged in (free charge, no cards, thank you!) my old Zoe at Hereford, she predicted 13+ hours to full - with 3 other vehicles already using the posts alongside. On my return 2 hours later, Zoe was the only vehicle in the bays, and was at 100%. The chargers are branded EVlink, which is a clue, I guess.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Waitrose are useless. They've said the same thing for years. They can't be arsed. I've emailed them several times and they come out with the same stock answers.
Sadly, that seems to be the situation overall. The big picture, after all this time (with the rare glorious exception) is that Waitrose are just 10% committed to EVs.

Their website lists EV charging as one of the Customer Facilities at the Hereford branch. My quote from Waitrose was their third response. Their customer services online had earlier came back with:-

"Following on from my previous email to you, I've been in touch with our internal team who have advised The Old Cattle Market car park at Hereford is unfortunately not operated or managed by Waitrose so you would need to make any request to the car park owner, however having reviewed Zap Map there are 4no. 7kW charging posts on site."

which did make me wonder if Waitrose really knew that the chargers were bolted to the wall of their store...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Waitrose Guildford opened in November 2015, so after the comments above about a pause on installation, but with 2x2 (Polar) 32amp chargers. They're in their own separate rank with a different surface, and OK signage - doesn't scream at you, but is generally enough to stop them being ICEd. They're also in frequent use.

The key difference was that the local council made it a condition of the planning permission that they were installed. So if you want Waitrose, or any supermarket, to put chargers into a new store, you are probably better off lobbying your councillor as soon as the possibility of a new store is being discussed.

Reactions: zoe'd

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Why should Waitrose supply chargers......?
Why should it be any concern of theirs at all....?
Surely most people shop within a few miles of their home, why should it even be a consideration to have to charge there?
I'm not getting the 'annoyance' here at all.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Why should Waitrose supply chargers......?
Why should it be any concern of theirs at all....?
Surely most people shop within a few miles of their home, why should it even be a consideration to have to charge there?
I'm not getting the 'annoyance' here at all.
The businesses with most of the money should be activly spending on raising awareness and promoting cleaner more sustainable energy use, it will also help thier brand and customer loyalty.

I don’t blame them for not investing in changing as ev range is getting better then no one will need to use them. So they’ll end up as popular as lpg pumps.
People do use them if they are installed, not everyone lives near thier preferred supermarket or whatever destination buisness they might be visiting, also if a known favoured brand has good support for EV charging, some may prefer to use them whilst travelling away from home.
Lpg pumps also do get used, indeed some folks will actually travel to use them, just maybe not you.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The businesses with most of the money should be activly spending on raising awareness and promoting cleaner more sustainable energy use, it will also help thier brand and customer loyalty.

People do use them if they are installed, not everyone lives near thier preferred supermarket or whatever destination buisness they might be visiting, also if a known favoured brand has good support for EV charging, some may prefer to use them whilst travelling away from home.
Lpg pumps also do get used, indeed some folks will actually travel to use them, just maybe not you.
I doubt many Waitrose customers will start shopping at Tesco just to top up their 200 mile range, but maybe you would. And I think you’re mistaking popularity with desperation. The populous did not adopt lpg in the uk, so those who did have to travel to find an lpg pump.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I doubt many Waitrose customers will start shopping at Tesco just to top up their 200 mile range, but maybe you would. And I think you’re mistaking popularity with desperation. The populous did not adopt lpg in the uk, so those who did have to travel to find an lpg pump.
Most affordable EV's don't do 200 miles and you have also missed my points probably deliberately, so, meh.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
You seem to have missed the point @Bol d'or was making - most people do their supermarket shopping within a few miles of their home. I really don't see the point of destination chargers at supermarkets. Rapids, such as those Tesco plan to roll out, do have a use for people on a journey to stop off and maybe buy a coffee and a few odds and ends while their car is charging. That way they are attracting passing trade, rather than people who shop there regularly.

·
Registered
553 Posts
...most people do their supermarket shopping within a few miles of their home
I have struggled with this too.

I get that the charging infrastructure companies want inexpensive parking spaces they can re-purpose as charging spaces, hence rapids in supermarket car parks. If there were a few rapids at every Tesco it would be welcome. There may be a business case, as there will be EV owners without off road parking, so a full charge in an hour while shopping would be worth paying for, especially if the supermarket is within a few miles of home.

The 7kw chargers I don't get. An hour at a Tesco is an eternity, the idea of waiting 3 or 4 is painful, even if free.

Tesco and Podpoint must have researched this issue?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
When I've visited Chichester, I've deliberately parked at Waitrose, done some shopping there and also done other things nearby, all whilst charging on a 7kW post and ensuring I'm back within their car park 2 hour limit.

If they didn't have the charger, then I wouldn't go there, I'd park elsewhere, nearer to the other shops.

101 - 120 of 121 Posts