Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Leaf 24Kw
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Been harping on for years saying power needs to come down not go up, manufacturing needs to get simpler, clever and cheaper. This could be just the thing for town and city dwellers?

Reactions: dk6780

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,441 Posts
Sadly for 14 YOs in the UK they need to wait until they are 17 and have a full licence to be able to drive one in the UK (some say 16 and a provisional licence).

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
Apart from the looks, how is this different to the Twizy?
Ami is slower and less expensive. Twizy has a bit more range. Twizy 80, the only version sold in the UK has a 50mph top speed. Ami is limted to 28mph.

Doors are an option on Twizy. Twizy has tandem seating.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,441 Posts
Slower - limited to 28 mph rather than 50mph.

Safety - both are quadricycles and don't have to pass the same tests as car. Maybe a step up from a moped?

There are no plans to produce a right hand drive Ami - the Twizy is centrally seated.

Cost - the Ami costs about half the amount of a Twizy.

Reactions: cpcnw

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,811 Posts
The Ami is more of a properly engineered G-Whizz. The Twizzy is more of quad bike with a lid. I know which one would be more fun to play with.... I also know which is more practical to use, especially in a UK city.

·
Registered
2014 Leaf 24Kw
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ami: Identical front & back panels and doors. Finally manufactures are starting to think a bit harder. Next - roll out swappable battery trays and battery swap stations.

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
Next - roll out swappable battery trays
Tesla Model S and Zoe both had swappable batteries. Tesla found that no one wanted to swap batteries.

Better Place lost about $500 million before giving up and closing down their Renault swap stations.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,441 Posts
Better Place lost about $500 million before giving up and closing down their Renault swap stations.
Don't forget the Fluence in Israel!

Ami: Identical front & back panels and doors. Finally manufactures are starting to think a bit harder.
Meaning that one is hinged at the rear and is a "suicide" door without the clever interlocks of a Mazda RX8, Mini Clubman etc. This is using the lack of safety allowed under the ancient quadricycle legislation (which fortunately was updated to allow a reverse gear).

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Don't forget the Fluence in Israel!

Meaning that one is hinged at the rear and is a "suicide" door without the clever interlocks of a Mazda RX8, Mini Clubman etc. This is using the lack of safety allowed under the ancient quadricycle legislation (which fortunately was updated to allow a reverse gear).
To be fair, do you need a safety interlock on a suicide door if you can only do 27mph ? The main risk of suicide doors is wind grabbing the door and ripping it open at speed which wouldn't happen at 27mph :)

Also keep in mind the Twizzy is available without doors and yet can do up to 50mph!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Twizy is easily the most fun thing I’ve ever driven. I hope we get these in the UK just so I can try one for 15 minutes 😁

·
Registered
2014 Leaf 24Kw
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tesla Model S and Zoe both had swappable batteries. Tesla found that no one wanted to swap batteries.
How did Tesla find that? Survey of Tesla owners? Or across all EV drivers?

·
Registered
2014 Leaf 24Kw
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Meaning that one is hinged at the rear and is a "suicide" door without the clever interlocks of a Mazda RX8, Mini Clubman etc.
They can make domestic freezer doors that are identical yet can be hinged either side. In this case they took it a little far admittedly. Reducing part count / complexity is surely a good thing when it comes to keeping cost down. Be interesting to know what the crash test data was like though.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Apart from the looks, how is this different to the Twizy?
Ah, the Twizy - ideal for Spain and Italy, with towns that have tiny back streets.

Not been a raging success here, though, has it.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
They can make domestic freezer doors that are identical yet can be hinged either side. In this case they took it a little far admittedly. Reducing part count / complexity is surely a good thing when it comes to keeping cost down. Be interesting to know what the crash test data was like though.
Crash data? What crash data... it's not a car. :)

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
How did Tesla find that? Survey of Tesla owners? Or across all EV drivers?
Tesla built a battery swap station at Harris Ranch mid way between Los Angeles and San Francisco.

It didn't get used. After 3 years, Tesla quietly closed it down.

·
Super Moderator
12,113 Posts
Ah, the Twizy - ideal for Spain and Italy, with towns that have tiny back streets.

Not been a raging success here, though, has it.
I count 464 licenced for on-road use in the UK. BMW C Evolution scooter stands at 110.

A Twizy with doors and no other options is about £12,250.

A C Evolution is £14,330 before the plug-in motorcycle grant. Range is 60 miles. Option for 100 mile range. The 60 mile version uses the 94Ah i3 modules. I'd guess the 100 mile version uses 120Ah modules. 16Amp on-board charger. - Twizy is 10Amps.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.