Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I bought a Leaf ( will get it in 2 weeks) but I trusted these Youtube videos of " building your own EVSE" far too much.... there is no place around where I can buy a Mainpine EPC 32 A block so I'm pretty screwed!!!
This was probably the stupidest idea I ever had..So to all other out there thinking about buying an EV: DON'T DO IT !!!!!!! there is no way of charging your car in 4h at home or at other places without this EPC!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Hi @Paul G. Where are you? There seems to be a number of resellers around the globe who may be able to help with this and maybe @Kevin Sharpe or someone else can point you in the the right direction.

It does seem a little odd to me that someone should buy a car purely on the presumption you can DIY one single (optional) part for it. Even more extreme to suggest nobody else buys an EV because you've (so far) been unable to DIY that single, optional part!

The option I assume most people would take is to buy an EVSE, rather than DIY anyway so this problem you're currently having is most likely a rare and extreme case, however frustrating you're finding it just now.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Erm... what's wrong with getting a FREE home charger with FREE installation? from one of many government funded installers (eg British Gas)?

http://nuworldenergy.co.uk/ are a Mainpine reseller. I'm sure they would sell you one, but I wouldn't recommend DIY'ing a charger without significant electrical knowledge. Just use the brick that comes with the car, and get British gas to install a charger for you for free...

·
Registered
307 Posts
Erm... what's wrong with getting a FREE home charger with FREE installation? from one of many government funded installers (eg British Gas)?

http://nuworldenergy.co.uk/ are a Mainpine reseller. I'm sure they would sell you one, but I wouldn't recommend DIY'ing a charger without significant electrical knowledge. Just use the brick that comes with the car, and get British gas to install a charger for you for free...
The chap may be living in a block of flats and have access to only a 3 pin socket in his allocated parking spot? Hence no way of getting the free install carried out.

This would have been my situation when living in Liverpool city centre.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
The chap may be living in a block of flats and have access to only a 3 pin socket in his allocated parking spot? Hence no way of getting a the free install carried out.
If he only has access to a 3 pin socket he doesn't need a 32A charger, he needs the 10A Brick that comes with the car!

·
Registered
307 Posts
If he only has access to a 3 pin socket he doesn't need a 32A charger, he needs the 10A Brick that comes with the car!
Unless, he went with the 6kw onboard charger option and trying to DIY the brick himself rather than spending £x supplied from the dealer.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Unless, he went with the 6kw onboard charger option and trying to DIY the brick himself rather than spending £x supplied from the dealer.
He still can DIY the brick himself, if he searched this forum he'd find at least two Mainpine resellers listed by the Mainpine company chairman himself...
but he still wont get a 4hr charge from a 3pin 13A socket! For a 4 hour charge a 32A diy unit still needs a 32A supply.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
In which case buy the Vauxhall Ampera brick which is much cheaper so I hear. Certainly cheaper than the cost of building one when you factor other build costs. The kit doesn't include the case and other bits and bobs you can easily get elsewhere. Budget an extra 130-150+VAT on top of the EPC/cable kit to do the job properly. Seriously.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
@Paul G. I'm sure we can help. Several forum members are building DIY EVSE and if you have the relevant skills and qualifications then that's a viable way forward. If you don't have the skills (or time) then we are working hard on a portable 6A-32A EVSE that I hope we can announce in the near future.

If you really only need emergency charging then buying a 10A EVSE on ebay is an option :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi @Paul G. Where are you? There seems to be a number of resellers around the globe who may be able to help with this and maybe @Kevin Sharpe or someone else can point you in the the right direction.

It does seem a little odd to me that someone should buy a car purely on the presumption you can DIY one single (optional) part for it. Even more extreme to suggest nobody else buys an EV because you've (so far) been unable to DIY that single, optional part!

The option I assume most people would take is to buy an EVSE, rather than DIY anyway so this problem you're currently having is most likely a rare and extreme case, however frustrating you're finding it just now.
Hi Paul
Yes, you are right I' m pretty frustrated. Look it might seem to you like a minor problem but I depend on charging my car on 380v 32 a CEE sockets. Can' t buy a box for every destination I drive to. I just find it irresponsable to tell the people that it wouldn't be a problem to get 32A Epc because it just isn't!! Now I am stuck with this car and probably have to rent another one!!! People should think more than twice before buying an EV that you maybe can' t use...or am I wrong... best regards.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Hi Paul
Yes, you are right I' m pretty frustrated. Look it might seem to you like a minor problem but I depend on charging my car on 380v 32 a CEE sockets. Can' t buy a box for every destination I drive to. I just find it irresponsable to tell the people that it wouldn't be a problem to get 32A Epc because it just isn't!! Now I am stuck with this car and probably have to rent another one!!! People should think more than twice before buying an EV that you maybe can' t use...or am I wrong... best regards.
Are you in the UK? As @Kevin Sharpe says above I'm sure there are options.

IF you are/were relying on a particular tool to be able to use a car, I'd personally make sure I got the cheaper tool sorted first, before making the major commitment of a car. But that's just me.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Hi Paul
Do you have the 6.6kW charging option, an extra £800 or so option?

If you do, then go ahead with the build. Hard to get parts like the EPC & cable from nuworld energy, IIRC they have a 10% discount for forum.members, search for.it. Other parts from RS or elec wholesaler.

If you don't have 6.6kW you can only charge at 16. Make or buy a CEE to 13a adapter and plug the car brick into that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Hi,
The online shop you mentionned isn't online as far as I know .And most wallboxes don't charge at 6,6 kw on one phase. I just need that Mainpine 32 A EPC nothing else, for the rest I am ok.. because then I can charge on every 3 phase 380v 63 A or 32A or (16A plug. just 3,3kw of course) . I will just connect one the 3 phases and I'm fine..I hope you understand what I mean. Sorry for my weak English. Best regards.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
The online shop you mentionned isn't online as far as I know
Did you look? EPC's are available online as discussed. Here is a direct link;

http://nuworldenergy.co.uk/shop.php#!/~/category/id=9187015&offset=0&sort=normal

HI just need that Mainpine 32 A EPC nothing else, for the rest I am ok.. because then I can charge on every 3 phase 380v 63 A or 32A or (16A plug. just 3,3kw of course) . I will just connect one the 3 phases and I'm fine.
The Leaf supports single phase charging at 16A or 32A (only if you have the 6kW option). You cannot charge at three phase or much above 240V.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Hi,
The online shop you mentionned isn't online as far as I know .And most wallboxes don't charge at 6,6 kw on one phase. I just need that Mainpine 32 A EPC nothing else, for the rest I am ok.. because then I can charge on every 3 phase 380v 63 A or 32A or (16A plug. just 3,3kw of course) . I will just connect one the 3 phases and I'm fine..I hope you understand what I mean. Sorry for my weak English. Best regards.
Here in the UK, its just a question of asking for an upgrade of the free box to 32A and paying any surplus.

The shop is live at the nuworld website. Not the best site, you need to click on the shop link at the top, then ZCW hardware, then EVSE 32A type 1 kit.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
@Paul G - it would really help if you can tell us which country you are based in. It is obviously not the UK (the home of this forum) as we a) have loads of 7kW EV chargers and b) we rarely find 3-phase CEE sockets.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you have the 6.6kW charging option, an extra £800 or so option?

If you do, then go ahead with the build. Hard to get parts like the EPC & cable from nuworld energy, IIRC they have a 10% discount for forum.members, search for.it. Other parts from RS or elec wholesaler.

If you don't have 6.6kW you can only charge at 16. Make or buy a CEE to 13a adapter and plug the car brick into that.
Hi,
yes I have the 6,6 kw charger. Maybe I relied too much on the talking in these kind of chatrooms. Thank you for the help . best regards.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts