Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Huh?

I've been with Octopus since October 2020, and they switched the meters over and took readings then. Both electric and gas meters are swapped over, I'm on Go Faster 2030-5H and they've had no difficulties getting a connection to either, plenty of half-hourly data including for today available online.

Yet today at 10am someone from Lowri-Beck came around to read the meters -- although unsuccessfully for the gas meter, as due to a stupid design at this house, the gas meter is buried in a bush at the front garden (which didn't half attract complaints from the guy who had to swap it, I can't exactly blame him.)

Has anyone else had this happen? I thought one of the advantages of smart meters to the energy companies was that they didn't need to employ vast numbers of meter readers!

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
It's the law. I joked with a meter reader a year or two ago about him being out of a job when smart meters came in, but he smiled and said that unless they changed the law he would still be required to manually read the meter (I think once every year, may have been once every two years) both to ensure it was working correctly and to check for signs of tampering.

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
300 Posts
I had the same about a month ago, turned up and said I’m here to read your electric and gas meter for octopus. I was like well they’re smart so you don’t need to and secondly I only have an electric one as octopus took out the gas meter about a month ago. A sceptical and confused look across his face, he wondered down the side of the house to the meter boxes and I never saw him again.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Well, I've had 4 (or is it 5?) visits in the last year.. Two (3?) from Lowri-Beck, the same guy, one from Morrisons and one an Octopus direct employee. I think it was due to confusion regarding the meter associated with the MPAN but I certainly never had as many visits as when I had a dumb meter!

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
756 Posts
Not seen a Meter reader guy in last 6 years, at our old house we used to have to read the meter's and submit the readings a few times a year, but since moving to this house and going Octopus in 2019 and shortly having a SMETS 1 meter fitted don't even have to submit meter readings anymore.

Maybe its a SMETS 2 thing?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,129 Posts
I had the same about a month ago, turned up and said I’m here to read your electric and gas meter for octopus. I was like well they’re smart so you don’t need to and secondly I only have an electric one as octopus took out the gas meter about a month ago. A sceptical and confused look across his face, he wondered down the side of the house to the meter boxes and I never saw him again.
Sadly, in my case the house pre-dates outdoor meter access.

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Maybe its a SMETS 2 thing?
Nothing at all to do with the type of meter, there's been a legal requirement in place to inspect and read meters for decades, and the law/regulation has not changed because some homes now have smart meters. The meter reader is supposed to check the meter is working OK, that it hasn't been tampered with (i.e. seals still intact, etc) as well as record the reading. IIRC, it's buried somewhere within the Electricity Act, and relates to the duty of suppliers to ensure that meters are always kept in working order, or something similar. Pretty sure some suppliers are a bit lax about it, though, as I think the only time we've had regular meter checks has been when we were with British Gas (years ago) and SSE a few years ago. I doubt anyone actually bothers to check that suppliers are complying with this, TBH. Like many things, it's probably one of those bits of law that's falling by the wayside, by not being enforced.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Nothing at all to do with the type of meter, there's been a legal requirement in place to inspect and read meters for decades, and the law/regulation has not changed because some homes now have smart meters. The meter reader is supposed to check the meter is working OK, that it hasn't been tampered with (i.e. seals still intact, etc) as well as record the reading. IIRC, it's buried somewhere within the Electricity Act, and relates to the duty of suppliers to ensure that meters are always kept in working order, or something similar. Pretty sure some suppliers are a bit lax about it, though, as I think the only time we've had regular meter checks has been when we were with British Gas (years ago) and SSE a few years ago. I doubt anyone actually bothers to check that suppliers are complying with this, TBH. Like many things, it's probably one of those bits of law that's falling by the wayside, by not being enforced.
We've lived in our current house for 6 years now and never once had an honest to goodness physical meter reader come to read the meter. And we're onto our second power company now. Indoor analogue meter.

So much for legal requirements... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
He fell into your alligator trap ? :)

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Well, I've had 4 (or is it 5?) visits in the last year.. Two (3?) from Lowri-Beck, the same guy, one from Morrisons and one an Octopus direct employee. I think it was due to confusion regarding the meter associated with the MPAN but I certainly never had as many visits as when I had a dumb meter!
What do Morrisons have to do with reading your meter?? Do you have a metered milk supply or something? :)

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
What do Morrisons have to do with reading your meter?? Do you have a metered milk supply or something? :)

It is the supplier that "owns" the meter, so the requirement for reading/checking it falls to them, but in practice some of them contract this out to meter reading and inspection companies, like Lowri-Beck (utility services) and Morrison Data Services (not the supermarket, this company: Morrison Data Services - Leading metering services provider to the UK utilities market.).

·
Registered
682 Posts
Nothing at all to do with the type of meter, there's been a legal requirement in place to inspect and read meters for decades,
Yep, from well before I did some of my training and an early job with an SSE metering department back in ~1977. It was to protect all sides of the situation. The plaintiff cry of 'you should have billed me so I wasn't surprised at what I have to pay' was a common cry, and a proportion of people haven't got more intelligent since by learning to read a meter and do simple multiplication. When SSE had their own direct employed staff fiddles, some very imaginative, were found quite often but I don't think that is the case these days.

The data clean up for the customer records when the Data Protection Act was introduced was an eye opener. Unfortunately comments such as 'Amorous housewife' had to be replaced by more anodyne comments such as 'Do not visit this customer alone' which covered a multitude of sins..

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
The SLC requirement to read meters was dropped sometime ago by Ofgem. The only requirement now is for a supplier to obtain a meter reading once per year: how this is to be obtained is not specified. I have had SMETS2 meters now for nearly 2 1/2 years. A reading from a meter reader appeared on my account 6 months ago. I called Octopus CS and was told that readings from a meter reader are treated as industry-validated for billing purposes and couldn’t be changed. I pointed out that the reading was 4000kWhs greater than that shown on my meter; that my garden gate was locked and that Octopus had been receiving uninterrupted 30 minute data (well mostly) for nearly 2 years. In sum, the meter that was read clearly wasn’t mine.

We then had a chat about not charging me for any units used for the next 5 years as I only import 800kWhs/year, moving on to how would this work with HH billing? Eventually, after a Manager was brought into the fray, the erroneous meter reading was deleted.

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
590 Posts
I've been with Octopus for several months now and submitted gas meter readings, the electricity is a smart meter. Whilst I've had bills for the gas I haven't been charged yet for any electric. Has any other Octopus Go users had the same experience.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts