Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Why did buy, or are you thinking of buying, an electric car?

• Driving pleasure (the EV grin)

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • Environmental concerns

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • Financial reasons (low running costs)

Votes: 96 78.0%
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question, complex answers, so I've made it a poll. Feel free to add to the discussion.

Mine? All three, but the order I came to the conclusion was > Driving style (EV grin) > Environment > Money.

What about you?

Cast your vote, multiple choice is allowed, because we seem to be a fickle bunch like that. :D

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 30kwh Tekna (2016)
123 Posts
it's the economy, stupid :)

mk-northampton = 70miles per day at 50mpg diesel... x5 days a week

wondering whether there is money to be saved, fun to be had and pleasure to be gained?

no tax, no parking charges and no fuel sounds like good reasons to switch but i'd still need rental for longer trips and a bigger car

... oh and saving the planet of course can't be a bad thing (if only the lecky didn't come from dirty coal power stations)

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 30kwh Tekna (2016)
123 Posts
Hi Abi. The one I just switched to due to house move is putting up prices by 9%! I wish I could switch.

We were with Ovo Energy (not Ovaltine, no) and had mix of renewables and non-renewables. With SSE we didn't appear to have any choice.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just changed our supplier to Ecotricity who provide only "green" energy and also supply the brilliant "electric highway" charging on UK arterial routes. Shame some of that "green" energy has to be imported, but shows it CAN be done. There's also "Good Energy", who I probably would have used had it not been for the Electric Highway being something I'd like to feel I'm contributing to in a small way as a customer.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bumped this up as we have so many new contributors who may have a different opinion to those already submitted. I'd love to hear what steered you all to EVs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
So, I had a 14yr old petrol galaxy that cost £280 per month to keep on the road, not including MOT.

I am 60% financial as this car is not costing much more than a petrol car and 40% tree hugger, need to sort out our craving for fossil fuel. I enjoy gardening, chicken keeping, sustainable living so having an electric car was a natural step for me.

Only had my leaf 16 hours but I love it, the weirdness of the silence is amazing, my 17yr old son doesn't get it, he went back to look at petrol fiestas to have when he passes his test, then kept asking questions so you can tell it's got his interest in electric cars!!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Initial reasons where to get away from fossil fuels, combined with the fact it costs pennies to run. But after 24 hr test drive the grin factor was a bonus!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I think @Kevin Sharpe is absolutely right to mention Good Energy. We all know that Ecotricity is creating the Electric Highway and I openly declare my support for them and Ecotricity in general having my home supply with them. But let's not forget that Good Energy is perhaps the only other electricity company that 100% supports renewables and now they are also getting involved with EVs as Kevin said.

When new EV owners are considering which electricity company to use the obvious one might be Ecotricity because of the Highway but Good Energy would also be a good choice if that is more to your liking :)

·
Super Moderator
6,389 Posts
I had been looking at electric cars for a long while, but my wife is the main user during the week for work, so she had the last say. Although 80% of the journeys she makes are under about 35 miles the other 20% were the problem, as she can have days where she has to travel up to 200 miles and her parents live even further. Last year the cost of running our Merk estate got to be more than her milage allowance so she finally agreed to look for a cheaper to run car. We test drove the new Audi A3 ('its a car" she says) and were on the way to test the new A class via a Chevy Volt. We never got to Mercedes……….
The smile on her face as we silently pulled away, the no brake driving, the instant power, infact just about everything. It is the first car that she has ever been excited about and is now saving us a fortune. So although we started off buying for cost and environmental reasons the next car will be an EV bought for pure driving pleasure.
If you are thinking about going EV and are worried about range then think about a Volt or Ampera (or one of the other plug in extended range cars) once you have driven electric everything else feels so old fashion.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Live in the far north of Scotland mainly doing short trips and when I needed to fill up with petrol/diesel had a 40 mile round trip to buy at a reasonable price (which was still several pence above prices down south). I preferred the Erev as the range isn't practical up here on pure electric with virtually no charging points so I went for the Chevy Volt. Think its brilliant.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,543 Posts
I went for the Ampera, Vauxhall fan for a long time, ever since my second car in 1979. I can do a fair mileage each year, last car covered 240k in just over 8 years. Even excluding my commute of just over 100 miles round trip a lot of my visits to family and friends is anything between 55 and 105 miles round trip and no charging facilities at over half of them so I needed a compromise and the Ampera/Volt fitted my needs the best. Like Mick not the best coverage of charging stations up here with none out of town on main routes.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had driven a Vauxhall Insignia Elite Automatic for 5 years and was looking to replace at 6. I was driven out to Sunday Lunch in an Ampera and was immediately struck by its technology, smoothness, quietness and potential reduced driving cost, without any reduction in general ride comfort. From then on I was hooked, and immediately placed an order even though I was dubious about the 4 seat restriction and reduced boot space. The latter two items have proved not ideal for me, but the joy of driving the car, even in ICE mode, more than makes up for it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yeah, yeah all of that, but what about the Ampera sound system ??!! :D

Best car stereo I've heard in fact. Or maybe previous stereos have been good but just drowned out by the diesel drone ?

Its great I've been able to rationalise this choice using the financial and environmental arguments ! ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Can't say it was any of those reason in particular that drove (sorry) us to get the Zoe - mainly it was just because we need a small auto hatchback, but due to mainly being short journeys all ICE cars are very inefficient. We're not particularly bothered about the environment but getting 24mpg at best always seemed silly, especially as this was only a 1.4 Fiesta, not a Jaaaaaaag or anything... Having had a test drive, though, the instant torque (great for roundabouts) helped, as did the wife's realisation that EV meant no more petrol stations...

We're now replacing the Zoe with an i3, and I can tell you the reasons for that:
1) Performance is even better than the Zoe
2) Spec is way, way better than the Zoe (and the Zoe spec is pretty good)
3) We've specced the REx option - there are maybe two journeys that would be annoying with the Zoe, but painless with the i3 REx.
4) It means we don't have to deal with Renault any more (that's actually the main reason, but not relevant to this discussion)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm probably an extreme case - I think the Zoe is a fine car, I really enjoy driving it, it does everything we hoped it would, and if anything has exceeded our expectations. We don't have an issue with the battery lease either, since it is less than we were spending on fuel. As far as I'm concerned, I "tried a Zoe and it totally works".

My issue is purely with Renault themselves; if I'd had no cause to be in contact with them after taking delivery of the car then I would happily be keeping it. However, the post-sales issues I've had, not to mention the various warranty-related issues, have all been handled so badly that I want nothing more to do with Renault. I'd even write off the brake failure (!) as the sort of thing could happen to any car, if it weren't for the way in which it was "dealt with".

I'm fortunate enough to be in a position where I can move on; were it not for that, I'd stick with the Zoe and just hope I never had to speak to Renault again.

·
Leaf lover
4,770 Posts
I just wanted the magic of an ev. I wanted to be part of making the Leaf succeed by owning one.
I would love to also own an i3 (without REX) because it also deserves to succeed, even if it is pricey.
Which leaves me annoyed at VW and their E-UP because it does not deserve to sell at that silly price. Had the E-UP come out at the same time as the Leaf then that’s a different story but three years later, get real Volkswagen.
The Zoe deserves to succeed but should be offered for purchase outright and it would have been good to bring that option in when Nissan gave us Flex to consider. Or as in my case, to dismiss.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts