Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Why did buy, or are you thinking of buying, an electric car?

• Driving pleasure (the EV grin)

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • Environmental concerns

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • Financial reasons (low running costs)

Votes: 96 78.0%
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,633 Posts
Looks like you've got the best of both worlds having the Mii as well. ISTR the Mii is basically a brother of the Up! and CitiGo, so pretty economical, and gives you the extra range when you need it.
Yes, the Mii has got the range and economy, but we find it pretty horrid to drive a rattly three cylinder petrol manual compared to the CZero.
Which makes me think, any household that has two cars should seriously think about getting a BEV when one comes up for replacement. For single car households the limited range and poor charging infrastructure at present still means that a full ICE or a hybrid will be the primary choice for people however much we argue the case for BEVs.
I agree with you about two car households - especially now that used BEVs are coming through at affordable prices and the scary predictions of expensive battery replacements have not come to pass. For single car households, a BEV may still be a sound option, depending on the requirement to make longer journeys.

·
Registered
MG ZS Exclusive
276 Posts
Financial reasons for me. 60 mile round trip to work 5 days a week, that plus social mileage is costing me around £200 petrol a month. I was gonna get a little fiesta (company green lease car scheme) cost £230 a month, my new leaf will cost me £70 more a month than the fiesta. If i can keep my electric costs to £30 then its simple math. I save £100 a month. The plan is to use the EV as a work and local car and use my wife's ICE for long journeys but we will see :) We have family in Oakham and Glasgow. once the wetherby/scotch corner divide gets more reliable well who knows!

Reactions: Paul

·
Registered
217 Posts
I saw the leaf a few years ago and was interested purely for the geek factor but could never justify it financially.

Then last year when looking to replace our second car (an mx-5 which was only used for commuting) I stumbled across the leaf on the leasing websites so I couldn't resist going for a test drive, it blew me away so I got a 48 hour test drive and after looking at the financials I managed to convince the wife it would be ideal for our second car and save £80-£100 per month on our fuel costs.

It is now our primary car for every trip except a holiday in the lakes and trips to the in-laws in Yorkshire as there isn't enough redundancy in the charge network in Yorkshire yet.

Ironically I don't get to drive it much as once winter came and the wife realised it was always toasty and de-iced in the morning she always takes it for her commute. Also the reversing camera is a huge advantage at the nursery drop off every morning.

Coincidentally for the week in the lakes there were 3 leafs and an i3 doing test drives around Grasmere the whole time were were there! Which made us regret not figuring out a way to get there in ours.

I am confident now that I will never buy another ICE again, as when the 4 year lease is up on our second car ;) there will be both more EV options, battery improvements and a better charge network.

Can't wait.

·
Registered
MG ZS Exclusive
276 Posts
I read a post somewhere (cant find it) where an engineer posted he had just fitted a rapids in York and they were due to go online in the next 2 weeks :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Environmental.

Our current car was getting on a bit and it was time to replace it. My commute is by bicycle, but mrsbrothersoulshine's job requires a car.

We asked ourselves whether we were going to continue to be part of the problem, or whether we should be part of the solution. Climate change will have a big impact on our kids and on their kids and we want to try to lessen that impact as best as we can. Buying an EV is a way of encouraging car manufacturers in the right direction.

Of course, when we test drove an i3 and a Leaf we were proper sold. I guess that's the EV grin that people talk about. The Leaf should be here by the middle of the month.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought my Leaf 1 week ago and will get it in 2 weeks. Still not sure if I did the right thing... am I the only one who is questionning his decision? Hope everthing will be fine! I bought the Leaf because I thought it is time to change. Burning petrol in a car seems to me like last centurys technology. I red that we use worldwide more than 90 million barrels of oil EVERY DAY!! That fact made my decision to switch to an EV. By the way: Do you get a rental car for 25 days per year for free aswell with the Leaf?? Because that helped me making my decision. I think buying a EV to save money isn't a very good calculation. Because EV's will loose extrem in value over 4 -5 years.When the next Leaf will be fitted with this chameleon charger, old versions will loose extremly in value! But who cares, we are doing the right thing, aren't we???

·
Registered
708 Posts
I bought my Leaf 1 week ago and will get it in 2 weeks. Still not sure if I did the right thing... am I the only one who is questionning his decision? Hope everthing will be fine! I bought the Leaf because I thought it is time to change. Burning petrol in a car seems to me like last centurys technology. I red that we use worldwide more than 90 million barrels of oil EVERY DAY!! That fact made my decision to switch to an EV. By the way: Do you get a rental car for 25 days per year for free aswell with the Leaf?? Because that helped me making my decision. I think buying a EV to save money isn't a very good calculation. Because EV's will loose extrem in value over 4 -5 years.When the next Leaf will be fitted with this chameleon charger, old versions will loose extremly in value! But who cares, we are doing the right thing, aren't we???
This is something that you will not experience unless you have a petrol mower. Today we had to buy petrol for our Ampera and mower. There were about twenty cars waiting to refuel. Each time a queue moved foreword the cars start their engines to move forward. It gives me a sense of pleasure to just glide silently to the pump and then to drive off in silence. There is also a feeling of not being one of these motorists and even a sense of guilt in driving off and not using any petrol to do so. Then when I pay I feel a bit guilty again in not spending much ( I fill up after every 400 miles). And so although we use some petrol as our Ampera suits our motoring requirements better than a Leaf it gives me great satisfaction when I pat around £12 when the others pay about £50.
I am sure that you are doing the right thing with your Leaf but with us it gives me a reminder of how it used to be each time I fill up.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
For me, it was all about saving money:
I was paying £225/month for my ICE, and spending £180/month on petrol. We've recently had solar panels installed, so the savings really added up. I'm now paying £255/month for my Leaf (18000 miles pa) and, with the solar panels, it looks like my monthly electricity usage is still down on what it was before.

Of course, being "green" comes with the territory and I'm quite happy to jump on that bandwagon too.

Any doubts I had were dispelled from the moment I test-drove it...

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Leaf lover
5,521 Posts
Any doubts I had were dispelled from the moment I test-drove it...
Yes. It just feels like magic.
Two years and over 40k miles it still does
I want a second Leaf in the family but I realise that that car would not get anything like the same use, so I find I can't justify the cost, even second hand.
Plus I realise just how much of an indulgence factor there has to be for me.
I know that because if my wife said "ok,buy an i3" I would order one immediately and my lovely blue Leaf would be the one standing idle.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Buying my EV has been tax efficient and has made a lot of financial sense but if I had to choose one main reason for the decision to purchase I would say I did it because it's an interesting change.

I've been driving petrol/diesel cars for over 20 years and an EV offers something refreshingly different. It probably won't take long to get used to things like the silence, the strong acceleration at low speeds and regen braking but at the moment these things are brightening up my daily commute and I'm enjoying the new stuff :)

·
Premium Member
12,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
The split so far on the results is interesting to me, and probably not quite what I expected. Shows how important various government schemes can be and also that if the sale price dropped a lot I think the sales volume could explode (well, grow very rapidly anyway).

·
Registered
337 Posts
Buy on emotion - justify with logic!

I'm not a tree hugger, I've never owned a diesel, it wasn't originally the running costs (although funny how you become obsessed with not using petrol). I bought an Ampera and for me it was the looks and leapfrogging my way to the early-adopter-cutting-edge. I feel so smug, ICE seems so last century. so thats the emotion (real reason).

Then there is running costs, emissions, the public good, zero road tax, zero congestion zone charge (I never drive into London!) and "all the torque is available from zero(?)" - and thats the logic (not the real reason).

·
Administrator
6,980 Posts
Think your self lucky, I have to drive a van every day and if I don't sprint out the door with the keys for the Volt she that must be obayed won't even let me drive at the weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Think your self lucky, I have to drive a van every day and if I don't sprint out the door with the keys for the Volt she that must be obayed won't even let me drive at the weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am very lucky. I get the Ampera most days, unless I chose to cycle to work, or am taking a van/train/plane somewhere.
Having said that, I really don't mind taking a van, as the ones I hire are always very comfy !

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
My history of owning cars the past 10+ years has consisted of fast hot hatches the last car being a Volkswagen Scirocco which I loved.

Working in the electrical engineering field and being a lover of cars I have known about the Tesla Roadster since it was released and have followed tesla and electric cars from a distance since then, but obviously well out of my price range and a distant dream.

Even when the leaf was launched I stumbled upon one in a car park one day as I was leaving the gym, but when looking at the price of it, for me it was too expensive for what it was.

Fast forward 3 years and an increased interest in electric cars and spending too much time reading on the leaftalk forums (I'm sure we have all have done this :)) I took the plunge and picked up a 7 month old Gen 2 acenta with 2000 miles on the clock for a very good price, for price that I thought was realistic! £10,000 less than the OTR price!

I have been driving electric for 3 months, 4160 miles and 1233kWh pulled from my charger. I don't think I will never go back to an ICE car now. My fuel bill has reduced from £200 a month to around £40ish. I enjoy the drive of electric and regen is my best friend :)

I was worried that due to the majority of my commute being motorway driving at 70ish mph that I would use a lot of energy but I'm averaging around 3.8 miles per Kw. Which I'm happy with and the 50 mile commute each day is easy for the leaf.

I'm looking forward to the future now even though I've only had the Leaf 3 months. The i3 is tempting but again too pricey I'll see what happens in two or three years with used prices. I also would definitely go back to another VW with the E-golf but not until they upgrade to a 32A onboard charger which is think is absolutely ridiculous that they haven't included.

The final option would be to keep the leaf and save the pennies for four years and be first in line for the "Model E".

What ever happens the future is looking bright for EV's and I for one can't wait and am so glad that I've made the switch away from ICE!

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
375 Posts
Can't wait to switch but can't be now for us. Being London commuters, we have limited car use during the week so the diesel bill is not a big concern. Mostly we drive around our SW London neighbourhood but the car for us means the occasional dash to the countryside or further afield, most times improvised so full electric and the hunt for charging points doesn't appeal.

Already occasionally annoyed that our A4 convertible can only take 4 passengers and limited luggage, we had to rule out the Ampera and of course the i3 REX. We are trying the Mitsubishi PHEV tomorrow but for the car use we have, that'd be a huge expense from new.

Hopefully the range of available range extenders EVs will extend to crossovers and small MPVs soon and otherwise, I'll be in the market for a recent Outlander PHEV in a year or 2.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Wow - I'm getting a bit of a "tried a Zoe and it didn't work" vibe at the moment. I wonder how representative this is!
Mainly C,with some input from the others..-and My Zoe's working just fine!
now if I could just get the R-Link/satnav system to point me at a charger when a bit of range anxiety was coming on..
Additional-Several months in,today I made a 150+ mile round trip that from previous experience in an ICE I know was quite frazzling..even despite getting a couple of uncooperative chargers en route,I got back quite relaxed..an EV makes a BIG difference to your state of mind while driving!

41 - 60 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.