Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In preparation for my Model S I contacted ChargeMaster, however a local sparky that has been fitting units under the grant scheme told me he'd do a 32A single phase for free, saving the £95 excess ChargeMaster want, so i cancelled my ChargeMaster install (who also had delayed me to be completely fair)

I've been chasing him for weeks now, and was getting more and more worried. Last week it was "I'm getting the unit in stock will be around Monday/Tuesday to install"... Wednesday comes, still no install....

Thursday at 6:00pm, I receive an email saying he will no longer do it unless I pay in full as the grant is no longer valid.

So Friday my hell begins:

I go to pick up the Tesla from Heathrow (c. 140 miles) Now I only have the S60, so it was tight range wise, but doable. However Tesla only provided the car with 135 miles remaining range, not a good start, especially as I explicitly emailed them I had to drive to Nottingham. So I hung around their sales room for 40 minutes while they topped off the car on their 3 phase 32 A charger.

I Stopped off for 30 mins on the way back and grabbed some charge from an Ecotricity point at the services, to make the most of my coffee / lunch break and got home with around 40 miles left.

Of course family want a trip out in it, so when I finally park up, I have 8 miles range. "Safe" in the knowledge I had a portable EVSE that would give the car enough to get me to a charge point. Unfortunately the charger didn't want to play ball.

After a catalog of errors on my part, and some not so self inflicted. I am just very fortunate that they have very recently installed a 32A Polar point at the local Park and Ride <4 miles away.

As penance for my foolishness I could be found at 6:30 in the morning outside the park and ride waiting for the gates to open so I could get my car charged! :)

Simon

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Hopefully you can get the home charge point installed quickly, I guess your portable EVSE is limited to 10 amps?

Be interesting to hear how you get on with an S60, I don't think many have been ordered in the uk!

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hopefully you can get the home charge point installed quickly, I guess your portable EVSE is limited to 10 amps?

Be interesting to hear how you get on with an S60, I don't think many have been ordered in the uk!
Yep portable one is limited to 10 amps, but TBH my commute is only 6 miles each way, and I can count on one hand the number of times I drove more than 120 miles in a day on one hand, so not a biggy. It was also a consideration in the choice of the 60 over the 85.

I also have an Elise, which I am going to spend the difference between the 60 and P85 on ;)

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,696 Posts
In preparation for my Model S I contacted ChargeMaster, however a local sparky that has been fitting units under the grant scheme told me he'd do a 32A single phase for free, saving the £95 excess ChargeMaster want, so i cancelled my ChargeMaster install (who also had delayed me to be completely fair)

I've been chasing him for weeks now, and was getting more and more worried. Last week it was "I'm getting the unit in stock will be around Monday/Tuesday to install"... Wednesday comes, still no install....

Thursday at 6:00pm, I receive an email saying he will no longer do it unless I pay in full as the grant is no longer valid.

So Friday my hell begins:

I go to pick up the Tesla from Heathrow (c. 140 miles) Now I only have the S60, so it was tight range wise, but doable. However Tesla only provided the car with 135 miles remaining range, not a good start, especially as I explicitly emailed them I had to drive to Nottingham. So I hung around their sales room for 40 minutes while they topped off the car on their 3 phase 32 A charger.

I Stopped off for 30 mins on the way back and grabbed some charge from an Ecotricity point at the services, to make the most of my coffee / lunch break and got home with around 40 miles left.

Of course family want a trip out in it, so when I finally park up, I have 8 miles range. "Safe" in the knowledge I had a portable EVSE that would give the car enough to get me to a charge point. Unfortunately the charger didn't want to play ball.

After a catalog of errors on my part, and some not so self inflicted. I am just very fortunate that they have very recently installed a 32A Polar point at the local Park and Ride <4 miles away.

As penance for my foolishness I could be found at 6:30 in the morning outside the park and ride waiting for the gates to open so I could get my car charged! :)

Simon
Need to push Tesla about more Supercharge stations for UK

·
Registered
150 Posts
@Simon Mac - Can you tell us a bit more about your car. You have the 60kW... Did you go for base spec or any add-ons? What sort of range is it predicting and what are you finding (I know you've only just got it, so early days...!)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Simon Mac - Can you tell us a bit more about your car. You have the 60kW... Did you go for base spec or any add-ons? What sort of range is it predicting and what are you finding (I know you've only just got it, so early days...!)
In terms of add-ons, I didn't go too mad: Black (no cost option but my favourite colour anyway), Leather (Tan), Tech package and parking sensors. To be honest for the sort of car it is I think it's almost the minimum you can sensibly get away with, so the £50k base price is a bit misleading. You are looking more at £56k if you want to get a real Tesla experience.

The two things I'm slightly worried about longer term is the Supercharger upgrade, which is extra on the 60, and the shorter battery warranty. Both really from a resale value POV more than anything else.

Indicated range has been up to 170 miles, but I haven't used the extended range function.

HTH Simon

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you go for the Supercharger upgrade?
Nope, didn't bother my daily usage doesn't need it, and I still have access to ICE cars if it really came down to it.

Due to the way I funded the car, I had a fairly strict budget. So with East Mids hardly being priority number 1 for SuperCharger roll out, I thought it better to have leather and tech package I would use every day rather than something that may arrive in a few years time.

If it really comes down to it I could upgrade at some point down the line.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does it have spring suspension? (without the upgrade)
Nope standard suspension, but TBH it handles very well anyway.

It obviously is a heavy car, but then I'm comparing it to what I've been driving the last 3 months (a 750KG Elise!)

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I feel your pain. Been trying to get a home charger installed for 8 months now, thanks to one guy in the management team of my apartment block who's "not sure" if it's ok or not.

I've had the S for 5 weeks now and am getting used to leaving it in random streets and car parks at stupid times of the day just to get a charge. At least you'll be getting an install soon!

Out of curiosity, your car is probably the most efficient S in the UK, due to lack of weight and power-hungry options... so what sort of Wh/m are you getting?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Supercharging option makes a lot of sense if you will be lucky enough to take advantage.

Over 5 years at 20k miles a year that's nearly £13,000 of diesel in our qashqai. Not bad for 'free'!

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I feel your pain. Been trying to get a home charger installed for 8 months now, thanks to one guy in the management team of my apartment block who's "not sure" if it's ok or not.

I've had the S for 5 weeks now and am getting used to leaving it in random streets and car parks at stupid times of the day just to get a charge. At least you'll be getting an install soon!

Out of curiosity, your car is probably the most efficient S in the UK, due to lack of weight and power-hungry options... so what sort of Wh/m are you getting?
Hope you get something sorted, not sure I could live with my situation long term, and sounds like you are in a similar position.

Average when I got out today said 323Wh/m. Not sure it's fair though as I've had a/c on and did circa 40 miles of village roads with 5 adults, all of whom wanted to experience the Tesla warp speed mode at every opportunity :)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally got a charge point installed at home! (30A Polar unit)

My previous "what do I do to get myself 4 miles down the road to the nearest public station" anxiety has completely gone now :)

Rita is happily slurping away at 18/mi per hour charge rate (30A) as we speak. Will get home tonight, plug her in, so by tomorrow morning and for the first time since I've owned the car she'll finally have a full charge.

Happy days!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts