Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The National Audit Office have published their findings on emission reductions in passenger cars over the past decade, Even though the uptake in EV's seems to be gaining momentum, it seems we have a long, long road ahead if we are aiming to be carbon neutral by 2050.

Do you, as early adopters think that we are doing enough and if not, what do you think we should be doing?

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
871 Posts
We’re helping, but there’s going to have to be a cultural shift. At the moment SUVs are still socially acceptable and aspirational. It’s not helpful that the big ICE manufacturers are building such huge and inefficient electric SUVs. The etron is 2.5 tonnes for example and goes less distance than a Zoe with a battery almost twice the size. SUVs - whether ICE, PHEV or BEV - need to become deeply unfashionable if we want to make progress

·
Registered
374 Posts
Well, I remember back in 2014 looking at the BMW i3. I eventually bought an e-Golf in 2019, so not exactly an early adopter.

Anyway, what am I supposed to do? All I can do is buy a BEV, drive it when I can and let people know about it, without boring them to death with it.

But, if some ideas come out here, let's see.

This is quite interesting: timeline-history-electric-car

·
Premium Member
17,668 Posts
The National Audit Office have published their findings on emission reductions in passenger cars over the past decade, Even though the uptake in EV's seems to be gaining momentum, it seems we have a long, long road ahead if we are aiming to be carbon neutral by 2050.

Do you, as early adopters think that we are doing enough and if not, what do you think we should be doing?

The human animal is the most dangerous, cruel, and stupid animal on Earth.:mad:
Life is balanced between good, bad, and indifferent.
The UK is making big strides to go green, and EV's are a part of that.
Until an affordable EV is available, the changeover will be slow.
Until adequate supplies are available, it will be slow.
If I could not afford an EV, that suited my life style I would be driving an ICE or a Hybrid.
Manufacturers are still dragging their feet, apart from Tesla and VW, not forgetting the Zoe!
Hyuandai & Kia are still messing about, and the 'new' ioniq is more expensive than the old ones, and only available in
a limited production run.
Nissan?? Not sure what is going on there?
Audi??
Mercedes??
Ford??
Porsche??
Not a lot for the mass markets.
2030 will be a push, and with all the foot dragging, it may be extended.
The UK is doing ok, but we are a small piece the the pollution Jigsaw.
Thank God they got rid of Trump - friend of the Virus & Pollution!!
With America back in the ring, it is a good beginning.
Developing Countries get by the best they can, concentrating on survival, more than a Green World.
So much has improved in the last 10 years, so there is hope.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
There's been little done in the LCv area afaik, @Swagman you probably know much better than most so you can comment on that.

Electrification of small vans would have a big impact. They do lots of miles, total cost of ownership is as important as purchase price, they spend lots of time in built up areas. Efficiency considerations should win over performance and desirability in business.

Need to also enable and encourage more alternative transport. Buses eScooters, eBikes, walk cycle take the train....

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,171 Posts
I'm still enjoying the smugness of driving an EV so if it takes time for the steeple to catch on, that's fine with me.
If governments want to accelerate uptake, I recommend mandating clean air zones in towns an cities, free parking for EVs, and putting up the price of petrol.
Maybe importing more Indian and Chinese EVs would make them more affordable.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I'm still enjoying the smugness of driving an EV so if it takes time for the steeple to catch on, that's fine with me.
If governments want to accelerate uptake, I recommend mandating clean air zones in towns an cities, free parking for EVs, and putting up the price of petrol.
Maybe importing more Indian and Chinese EVs would make them more affordable.
Definitely increase price of Dino juice. Govmt has been weak on that for 20 years.
Polluter pays should apply. Ramp the price of fuel. Also why is heating oil, or gas still so cheap.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
1,007 Posts

The old adage applies that you can do far less than you think in a year and far more than you imagine in 10. I'm essentially an optimist but what people keep doing does try one's commitment to seeing the positive. Perhaps one of the most depressing things is the continued use of SF6 in the grid, especially in new wind developments such as Hornsea.

It will be interesting to see what happens as more wind comes online in the next couple of years. I'm hopeful we'll see a significant drop in the carbon intensity of the grid.

I personally suspect one the biggest problems will be people not being able to afford anything. In the UK, over the next few years to decades we're potentially going to be in a bad way. If you're struggling to afford the daily essentials, nothing else gets a look in. If you're ok, but feeling the squeeze, you probably won't prioritise insulation and installation of a heat pump, or whatever. So long as it remains cheaper to pollute, the majority of people will continue to do that.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Definitely increase price of Dino juice. Govmt has been weak on that for 20 years.
Polluter pays should apply. Ramp the price of fuel. Also why is heating oil, or gas still so cheap.
I am an early adopter and EV's are just too expensive. On the subject of heating oil I have an oil boiler as there is no other alternative. Air source is out of my price range(3x an oil boiler to install) and I am not heating my house with storage heaters as that too would be very expensive to run.
Some people like me have no choice but to use what we currently have. Who is paying for the change as I for one cannot afford it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am an early adopter and EV's are just too expensive. On the subject of heating oil I have an oil boiler as there is no other alternative. Air source is out of my price range(3x an oil boiler to install) and I am not heating my house with storage heaters as that too would be very expensive to run.
Some people like me have no choice but to use what we currently have. Who is paying for the change as I for one cannot afford it.
What about an air-air heat pump? £800 from Amazon and self-install

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
That's rather the point.
If the price of heating oil doubled through taxation, then that tax was used to massively subsidise insulation to passive house standards... so that you could massively cut your consumption at little cost...

You'd still have no choice, but it's a different no choice. And that could be made more or less neutral to you in cost, but hugely beneficial to both reducing consumption and creating employment.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
What about an air-air heat pump? £800 from Amazon and self-install
For whole house it's going to be a lot more. It's pretty difficult to justify financially unless you needed a new system already.
Somewhere around £5-6K installed for a 5 way multi split. Has to be installed by an FGas certified installer, and we've still got to heat @Fang2260 's hot water on top of those costs.... it's not a slam dunk.

Still the price of oil could also double next week for market reasons.

Insulation is potentially relatively cheap (unless you have solid walls then it's a mare).

·
Registered
105 Posts
That's rather the point.
If the price of heating oil doubled through taxation, then that tax was used to massively subsidise insulation to passive house standards... so that you could massively cut your consumption at little cost...

You'd still have no choice, but it's a different no choice. And that could be made more or less neutral to you in cost, but hugely beneficial to both reducing consumption and creating employment.
I am all for it but the help to change will never be at a level that will make it possible.

·
Registered
659 Posts
The only thing that will move people and businesses quickly is money / cost, i remember the oil shock of the late 1970's when the price of oil shot up, that triggered smaller compact cars with much better fuel economy. So I think we need to have a carbon tax on all fossil fuels to encourage people and business to swiitch to alternatives, rather than subsidies you should get zero interest loans for the whole cost to be reapid from the savings over the life of the equipment. price caps on the cost of electricity and low emissions zones to ban SUV's diesel vans and buses. If you can afford 70k for an SUV you're not likley to bothered by filling it up, if you can't drive it where you want to go it's a different matter.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts