Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I now have my new Silver Ampera and time to work on a parcel shelf to replace the trampoline.

My little shopping list:
1. Ampera boot floor cover

2. 40W Semi-Flexible solar panel for Car

3. HAZE 12V 7ah Battery AGM – (For Electric Bikes) x 3

4. 12v Waterproof Accessory Cigarette Power Socket & 2 Meter wiring Loom Kit A lock X 3

5. Stainless steel spring loaded shoot bolt x 4

6. Velcro self adhesive sticky strip 2mtrs x 50mm hook & loop

7. PWM 10A Solar Power Panel Charger Controller Regulator 12V/ 24V Auto Switch 240W

I made modifications to another boot floor cover I got from the my Vauxhaul Dealers parts department who were interested in my project. Unfortunately they do cost around £200 but being a great dealers and me a good customer, they very kindly supported me by supplying it free due to the short delay on my new car. After making the parcel shelf couldn't stop there as I needed to trickle charge my medical equipment, which in previous cars always drained the battery so went mad and put in my own solar panel system which I have to say charges my AGM batteries (21Ah combined) with very little light and is keeping topped up. found the HAZE 12 volt fitted in the rear side compartments flush with no modification or movement.

PLEASE NOTE THAT NONE OF THIS PROJECT IS CONNECTED TO ANY PART OF THE AMPERA ELECTRICAL SYSTEM AND IS TOTALLY SEPERATE!

Pictures show the project to completion and my inspre others.

Cheers

Cliff

Attachments

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Looks good cliff, I thought that the tinting on the glass of the boot lid might have restricted the efficiency of the solar panels too much, but very pleased it seems to be working for you :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you do with the electricity you generate?
I now use it for charging my medical equipment (more than just the defib) and all my peripheral charging e.g laptop, satnav, torch, coolbox and thinking of fans for the summer when parked and perhaps heating in the winter but we will see.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks good cliff, I thought that the tinting on the glass of the boot lid might have restricted the efficiency of the solar panels too much, but very pleased it seems to be working for you :)
did some tests with a friends panel with a multimeter inside and outside the car. I was suprised how effective it is, but that is why I got a reasonbly large sized panel to make up for any loss.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I tried exactly this on my PiP last year. I was hoping to run air cooling fans to ventilate the cabin in sunshine.

Nothing. Plenty of open circuit Voltage but no output current to speak of.

Direct sunshine, perfect. Through the glass, zilch.

I can only assume that the heat rejecting glass used by Toyota was also totally reflecting the bulk of the energy (as it should when I thought about it).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Cliff, I know it's been a while but I have only just bought my Volt. I want a boot cover like yours and I need to know what model of Vauxhall it was intended for?
Thanks
Alan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts