Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last two charges my Zoe on 100% is showing 56 rather than the normal 90 mile range. I called the service centre it is under warranty with and they couldn't tell me, they said 'they just do that'. I asked how but they didn't know, I asked how they know my battery is OK and they gave the same response - they just do that. Calling Renault direct didn't bear any fruit either. Probably on here people know better I'd imagine!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's because it's very cold at the moment, so you'll be using a lot of energy for heating.
Hi Tandy, thanks - I understand that, however what I don't understand is HOW the car knows I have a lower range and why the range has gone down to almost 40% lower, it seems a lot. What are other people's experiences?

·
Zoe Devotee
7,929 Posts
Nothing to do with how much heating your using. Batteries are less efficient at cold temps, they can't hold as much charge. Cold conditions and wet roads (drag) will reduce your range.

If push came to shove, if you actually drive the car to a low SOC you'll find it'll likely go further than that claimed 56miles, more like 65miles. Much like if you tried to use all 90 miles of your summer mileage you'd more likely find you've got 80-85miles.

·
Registered
214 Posts
It's because it's very cold at the moment, so you'll be using a lot of energy for heating.
It's more the behaviour of the battery at these temperatures than it is the heating - as discussed in other threads, Zoe's heater is pretty efficient. Of course it will still have a contributing effect to the lower estimated range.

In short @feezap: It's normal for range to go down in cold temperatures, it's largely to do with the physics and chemistry of the battery pack. My ZE40 has gone from a full-battery estimate of ~160mi to ~120mi in the past couple of weeks.

(Edit: Sniped by Sandy!)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi All, thanks for your replies

I understand that the batteries don't perform as well in cold weather. My question of Renault is how the car knows what range it has at full charge - it can't see the weather forecast! Does it work it out according to the temp at time of charging or as an average over the last few charges? No one can tell me :)

I also wondered if other people have had experience of such a steep drop in range? its gone down by nearly 60%

·
Registered
56 Posts
The range is dependent on Trip B. The driving you ahve been doing works out an average, the average is then used to calculate the range based on what it understands the battery capacity to be.

Reset trip B and your range when full will be back to normal. It will however adjust again when driving to the current conditions.

To reset trip b, use the buttons on the end of the right hand stalk to scroll through the different options, when on trip b, hold down the bottom button and it will all reset back to zero.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It can also use your most recent trips (last X miles) to estimate your next X miles if you never reset your trip B. It can also put less energy into the battery when its cold, which it knows about.
If you regularly drive fast on motorways, you'll find your estimated range is lower till you reset the counter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahhhh! Thanks so much Fuzzer and RiverRock, as suspected a much quicker response than from Renault! I might reset (and tell my partner not to drive it so hard as it messes it up ;) )

Has anyone else experienced such a large drop in range?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
The car knows how many miles it actually did on the last charge

the car can only calculate this “full tank”range based on the last one

so while the last timeIt showed 90miles, it may have only got 70

The “mpg” (mpkwh) of that last tank is then known and used to calculate against the next full tank

it’s exactly the same as how a petrol car estimated it’s range

JJ

·
Registered
56 Posts
The car knows how many miles it actually did on the last charge

the car can only calculate this “full tank”range based on the last one

so while the last timeIt showed 90miles, it may have only got 70

The “mpg” (mpkwh) of that last tank is then known and used to calculate against the next full tank

it’s exactly the same as how a petrol car estimated it’s range

JJ
Ish, a petrol car will normally take a pragmatic approach and calculate it based on the last 30-60 mins driving. The Zoe keeps a running average till the trip B is reset, which overall gives a more realistic figure over a period, but doesn't take into account the current conditions.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Think the OP was referring to post a full charge.

Zoe does that too though

if you floor it your mpkwh drops and so does your range.

I came down the motorway at 85 on the limiter and had a starting range of 150 and did 90 miles and had 5 miles left

the range dropped at twice the rate or mileage covered

JJ

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was referring to post full charge - thanks all - that has reassured me (not so much about renault's knowledge of their own cars though)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts