Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is quite a good explanation for the record wholesale prices in January.

A few factors but mostly seems to be lack of available capacity.
""Although low wind and high demand both contributed to the high price events (and wind generation was lower than average across the month), our analysis shows that wind and demand conditions were within the range that we’d expect to see in a typical January. The main cause of the high prices was the unavailability of a number of plant, largely from plant nearing the end of their life (nuclear and coal), or plant that were unavailable due to events not accounted for in the CM calculation (Calon going into administration).""

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
612 Posts
Interesting article, thanks. I admit I got a bit lost trying to follow some of the market jargon, but I think I got the gist of it!

Interesting how much probability theory comes into it.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting article, thanks. I admit I got a bit lost trying to follow some of the market jargon, but I think I got the gist of it!

Interesting how much probability theory comes into it.
Yes its a bit dense in places...
I heard various explanations in January when many on Agile or Tracker were struggling with high rates. I was having trouble figuring out why it was so much worse than previous years.

Nice to note however that unlike Texas, the UK market seems to be set up in a way that the lights stayed on, and it's only those on Agile and Tracker really noticed there was something odd happening. Even then we are protected from the big spikes in wholesale price. I really don't fancy paying £4/kWh.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts