Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been looking into finance for my Model S, however, I think there are significant advantages to sourcing the money elsewhere.

Here's my thinking, assuming the purchase of a fully specced P85+ of £85k + VAT
  • Until March 2015, there is a 100% FYA on the purchase. (HMRC Details) This means that my company could make up to £100k profit, TAX free this year. In real terms for me, it would be more like a saving of about £8,000 which was my 2012/2013 tax bill, and my 2014/15 year is looking similar.
  • Claiming the VAT back. I'm currently not VAT registered, but if I do get registered before the purchase, then I can claim £17,000 back in VAT after the first quarter.
So in cashflow terms for my business, this is an extra £25,000 in my bank at the end of the year. The quote from the finance company at 4.8% interest on a 5 year deal has come back at a little bit over £1700 per month - so the first years payments are easily covered by the TAX benefits!

I'm not an accountant, so can someone tell me if I have totally misunderstood something and got this all wrong?

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
  • Claiming the VAT back. I'm currently not VAT registered, but if I do get registered before the purchase, then I can claim £17,000 back in VAT after the first quarter.
HMRC website - "When you buy a car you generally can't reclaim the VAT"

I would strongly recommend you talk to your accountant... this is a complex area and with the recent changes announced in the budget you may end up paying a lot to get the vehicle out of the company.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah ha! I thought it was all sounding a little bit too good to be true!

Thanks for the reality check, Kevin. :)

·
State of the art 1958 and 2017
101 Posts
Kevin is spot on.
To get the vat back the vehicle must be a vat qualifying vehicle. Best check that out! Then as it is an expensive one you would be wise to check the benefit in kind rules, could be to HMRC, a luxury model.
Finally to make £100k profit in a year you would have to be vat registered already. Reg limit is turnover £85k or more.
A lot of people might be interested in a business that makes £100k profit!
Sorry to deflate your balloon

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
Kevin is spot on.
To get the vat back the vehicle must be a vat qualifying vehicle. Best check that out! Then as it is an expensive one you would be wise to check the benefit in kind rules, could be to HMRC, a luxury model.
Finally to make £100k profit in a year you would have to be vat registered already. Reg limit is turnover £85k or more.
A lot of people might be interested in a business that makes £100k profit!
Sorry to deflate your balloon
Your 3years too late ;)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
"I would strongly recommend you talk to your accountant"
+1,000,0000

You do have an accountant don't you?

Asking bunch of strangers on an internet forum for this type of advice (or advise if you are a bob) is not sensible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts