Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd share this here as I feel a little of a freak when I see how other EV owners speak about their choice of vehicle, why they have them and why they got into them.

As I mentioned in my introduction, my first EV experience (hands on) was driving a MINI E. Before that they'd always been on the perimeter of my world, out in the corner of motorshows, set aside in special places or "green" areas, where only hardcore enthusiasts seemed to hang out. I felt uncomfortable in those situations.

When I got to drive the MINI E, I was won over. Although I still didn't get to own an EV until almost four years later, my head had been well and truly turned. I felt like electric cars really could be the future, despite the bigwigs at BMW of that time telling me that wasn't true, that hydrogen was where it was at.

Why was I won over? The drive. I'm a huge MINI fan, loved the old Mini since I was a kid, inherited one, and got into new MINIs very early on. My favourite thing was the handling, the performance, and the cheeky looks. The MINI E was amazing, it was like a magic MINI, brilliant fun, and REALLY easy to drive, the torque was astonishing.

So anyway, after that I kept a look out, and wanted to get an EV as soon as we could justify it, and finally we're here. I now have stronger views, and am much better informed, on the other benefits to electric cars and electric car ownership, but the main attraction for me was the driving experience.

This is why, despite being a Leaf owner (very happy one) I'm really interested in what BMW i are doing and in particular Tesla and others. I can't wait for the market to get better over here in the UK, and I fear test driving a Tesla, as I couldn't afford one, but I KNOW I'd want one! This is also why I started this forum, as I don't want to be in any "camp" at the moment, I like electric cars (and find electric bikes fascinating). Here's hoping others agree!

:D

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 30kwh Tekna (2016)
99 Posts
thanks for sharing Paul and for pulling this community together with this site.

your enthusiasm and positively militant anti-oil free attitude are what's making me wonder: "is EV right for me too?"

there's a docu on netflix about the electric car that certainly has been very well produced and made me want to dig deeper now. your forum and sharing insight is helping me greatly. so thanks again

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:)

Two docs I watched that wound me up and encouraged me to rabble on more where "Who Killed the Electric Car" and then "Revenge of the Electric Car", the guys from Jalopnik etc in the second one being smug and saying how it would all fail... dinosaurs. :(

·
Registered
99 Posts
i think i watched the former the other day, with the diy ev conversion?

·
Registered
99 Posts
it was 'revenge of the electric car' ... anyway, quite intriguing

·
Registered
63 Posts
Seems like I had better watch 'Revenge'.

Aside from Paul's enthusiasm, what is making you think about changing to an EV?

·
Registered
99 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
thanks for sharing Paul and for pulling this community together with this site.

your enthusiasm and positively militant anti-oil free attitude are what's making me wonder: "is EV right for me too?"

there's a docu on netflix about the electric car that certainly has been very well produced and made me want to dig deeper now. your forum and sharing insight is helping me greatly. so thanks again
I am a advocate of the EV but I am learning not to be a militant anti any thing type of advocate. I was just that but, then I encountered the forces of evil that drive by way of the ICE. I could not win them over from the dark side and so I find that I must co-exist with them wherever I go in peace and harmony. It is the other EV drivers that come into conflict when we must fight over the one and only charger in town. This is something that we must overcome before we can convince the rest of the public that our way is better or even practical. If driving your EV does not convince others to do the same, nothing will. I try to make my example a good one.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Paul, test drive the Tesla, I was so glad to get back in the Ampera. It was a very worthwhile experience but did confirm my original decision. Having said that, I have reserved the M3 hopefully more affordable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts