Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I wasn't sure where to post the video. If the moderators would like to move it, thats fine by me.
The sound has a bit of background noise but Finland Tony's thoughts seem well considered.

I have a 2020 e-niro 4 and am very happy with it. But as with all things mechanical, fingers crossed!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I wasn't sure where to post the video. If the moderators would like to move it, thats fine by me.
The sound has a bit of background noise but Finland Tony's thoughts seem well considered.

I have a 2020 e-niro 4 and am very happy with it. But as with all things mechanical, fingers crossed!
Very interesting review and surprising in many ways, but I think he nailed it when he compared prices, iPace cost is mind boggling, E-Niro, half the price and almost as good except in the 4 wheel drive and performance area.
But forget all that stuff, the man is wearing an IRON MAIDEN TROOPER T SHIRT, best heavy metal band of all time, so he must be a Iron's fan, as am I, and in addition, he has a METALLICA scarf nailed to the garage wall and a drum kit, now that's one cool dude🤘🎸:devilish:.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
940 Posts
Hmmm....
So, if Coronavirus hadn't come along he'd still be driving the I-Pace?
I think thats the main upshot of the video, whichever way it's dressed up.
For me the main upshot is that people with money to spend will go for a car in their price bracket without actually considering that a cheaper car could actually be better for them. That, and that Kia build quality can rival Jaguar build quality.

·
Well-Loved Member
1,132 Posts
On his mention of lane keeping assist: had a similar tale of woe driving a loaner Pug last year. Going down a back lane the car violently "assisted" my steering back into the path of a farm telehandler I was deliberately running wide to avoid, whereupon both of us ended up doing an emergency stop and the zoom boom driver pulling what I can only describe as red face + shrug emojis combined.

I don't know if Peugeot's system differentiates between 'lane keeping assist' and 'emergency lane-keeping' but it was all turned off and left off. The Prius my parents have has always been similarly insistent on fostering head-on collisions and adrenaline overdoses and thus the Toyota 'lane departure alert' thing never ever gets used either.

I guess most people trust it?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a little plastic kitchen door cushion stuck to my lane keep assist button / switch. It helps me locate it as I always turn it off for every drive.
Once, when it was on, I was steering to pass a cyclist. The car didn't see the cyclist but tried to steer me back into the cyclists space on the road lane !

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,157 Posts
I have a little plastic kitchen door cushion stuck to my lane keep assist button / switch. It helps me locate it as I always turn it off for every drive.
Once, when it was on, I was steering to pass a cyclist. The car didn't see the cyclist but tried to steer me back into the cyclists space on the road lane !
That’s an excellent idea. Thanks. Those buttons are really not easy to see and locate with fingers, especially if you need to operate them whilst driving. To make it into something tactile is a good one. I always turn LKA off as it’s verging on being dangerous IMO. It tries to drive me into the kerb frequently on roads around here. I’m amazed such a system even gets any safety approval to be used. Especially so as it always defaults to on! Might be great on motorways, but it’s useless to me. I will stick something on my LKA button for sure. Thanks.
Peter

·
Registered
2015 BMW i3 REx 60ah, Solar Orange
120 Posts
Hmmm....
So, if Coronavirus hadn't come along he'd still be driving the I-Pace?
I think thats the main upshot of the video, whichever way it's dressed up.
Completely, he was spending 1,500 Euro a month on it as a business expenditure with no income, and a further 500 Euro a month in tax. With no customers that's a noose around your neck given the amount of time this pandemic has been going on. Not aware of emission laws in Finland, but he could have opted for a second hand ICE car as a daily runner until the situation changes.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Yes, an interesting comparison from an owner rather than biased car journalists who have questionable loyalties.

This guy also has a very interesting video if his e-niro experience in EXTREME weather conditions which is very interesting.

Stunning scenery too!

·
Registered
233 Posts
It boils down to efficiency - e-Niro can do 275 Wh/mi while the i-Pace needs 375 Wh/mi. So then despite the bigger, heavier more expensive battery with the i-Pace you get less range (and less storage space in the boot! the car is all battery). Efficiency is everything with EVs, otherwise you end up with something too expensive or too heavy. And efficiency is not particulatly easy to acheive, as the traditional manufacturers are now finding out.

I like the look of the i-Pace though. And credit to Jaguar for being one of the first people after Tesla to get a 200+ mile EV on the road. (I think maybe there was one other - the GM Bolt)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Not driven the Niro , but the Kona. I've driven the I-Pace too. The Jag was a fab drive , the Kona not. Is it worth an extra £30k .. debatable - but it's definitely worth more.
We had a Kona on loan for 2 weeks as part of our recent accident repair as the Niro in the hire fleet was unavialable (both electric obviously). Not even comparible to a Niro, far bouncier ride due to shorter wheelbase, and far less refined. WIfe literally said I'm glad we didn't buy a Kona (and we've done some 4k miles in the Niro now).. Having the HUD for a couple of weeks was a "nice" change, but it wasn't really suited to my driving position.

·
Registered
272 Posts
We had a Kona on loan for 2 weeks as part of our recent accident repair as the Niro in the hire fleet was unavialable (both electric obviously). Not even comparible to a Niro, far bouncier ride due to shorter wheelbase, and far less refined. WIfe literally said I'm glad we didn't buy a Kona (and we've done some 4k miles in the Niro now).. Having the HUD for a couple of weeks was a "nice" change, but it wasn't really suited to my driving position.
Kona had horrible torque steer and traction issues. Guess that's the same as they have same electrical architecture.

·
Registered
979 Posts
..and if Coronavirus recedes he's keeping the e-Niro not going straight back to the i-Pace. Think you missed that bit out.
But he wouldn't have been driving the e-Niro if the pandemic hadn't come along, would he?
It doesn't matter whether he's realised that the e-Niro is a better car when everything including price is taken into consideration, he'd have still been in the Jag without the pandemic. The only thing that actually made him change cars is the money he was paying out, not the tech, range or anything else. All of those are a pleasant surprise but not the factors for his change.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Kona had horrible torque steer and traction issues. Guess that's the same as they have same electrical architecture.
Traction issues are the norm with front wheel drive cars off the line under maximum acceleration. The weight transfers rearward which exacerbates the problem as the front of the car raises becoming lighter on the front (driven) wheels.

This in turn reduces the grip of the front tyres such that the torque takes over causing the wheels to spin. This is exacerbated when the road surface is smooth or wet whereupon tyre grip is less and even more-so by the high immediate torque exhibited by EV's.

The law of physics cannot be altered! Hence why rear wheel drive is preferable for EV's (or better still 4 wheel drive) and why EV's developed from the ground-up adopt this as it can be designed this way from scratch.

The Kona and E-niro are front wheel drive ICE cars that have been adapted to electric, hence it is easier to put the motor where the engine used to be rather than have the expense if a costly and time consuming re-design.

Torque steer again us dictated by the laws of physics. The spinning driven front wheels invoke a gyroscopic effect as they are rotating perpendicular to the axis and will want to maintain this axis. Hence why when turning the wheels to alter this axis to steer the car the gyroscopic effect wants to resist it.

Front wheel drive EV's are not ideal, but are a compromise when off-the-line performance is not paramount, however they can still be entertaining!

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I think the commonest reason for torque steer is having left and right driveshafts of different lengths leading to different deflections under power and a slight variation in steering angle at each front wheel.

Back in the day some manufacturers used longitudinal engines (Audi, SAAB and Subaru come to mind) for FWD set-ups which are a bit more complicated but allow the use of equal length driveshafts.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.