Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had one on some of our MINIs and a Ford, absolutely brilliant.

I'm surprised they don't have this in the LEAF as it is much quicker (and one would assume more efficient) than any other form of de-most or de-frost function.

Any stories on why this didn't happen or if it may be in the pipeline?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I think the Ford version is patented and either they won't share it or most companies won't pay to license it.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've heard that, but surely my MINIs would tell you otherwise.

Or Nissan just massively cheap?

Also a quick Google showed that VW and Mercedes have or have had then too.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understood the Ford patent expires next year ...
Someone on Piston Heads was saying it ran out in 2006, but it's a smokescreen because many other manufacturers already have them, so there's no reason why Nissan can't that I can think of, other than they chose not to.

I'm wondering why they made that choice, or if anyone can have a decent guess?

·
Super Moderator
7,504 Posts
Nissan are globalish, and we live in a cool but humid country - I think we suffer with misted up windscreens more than most!

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,493 Posts
Any car I have been a passenger in with it, all Fords, I find the elements a bit distracting. Maybe it is something you would get used to. My first car, a 1969 Vanden Plas Princess, had the same idea in the rear windscreen with the vertical elements but with a horizontal connector acress from one side to the other near the bottom of the screen.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Its a ford patent, its not all good though as replacement windscreens cost more, also I find with the Leaf in the winter that timed or remote started cabin climate control means not only is the screen clear but the cabin is warm too, power to do this is negligible and also most of the time its plugged in so takes the power from the mains not the battery.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its a ford patent, its not all good though as replacement windscreens cost more, also I find with the Leaf in the winter that timed or remote started cabin climate control means not only is the screen clear but the cabin is warm too, power to do this is negligible and also most of the time its plugged in so takes the power from the mains not the battery.
Having had it in our MINIs it's much better than aircon/windscreen blowers in terms of speed. For me it's great because I hate "hot" cars and the demist in the LEAF is quite poor I find.

·
Registered
661 Posts
My old ford focus ghia has the heated windscreen which is great, although as it is an old car it only defrosts the passengers side!
Anyway I agree with you Paul, I think it would be amazing on the LEAF.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Similarly, I wonder why the LED headlights are only available on the Tekna. It's such an obvious energy saving feature for an EV that you'd expect it on all trim levels. If it allows for a few extra miles, it would help sell more cars.

Also, why is there a 12V lead acid battery in this car? Put a high capacity Li-Fe-P battery that allows more peripherals to run longer before they start to drain the main battery pack.

With some innovations like these, costing perhaps £200 more than standard components, meaningful real life range gains should be possible.

·
Registered
542 Posts
There was a lot of buying and selling of brands, I'm sure one of the reasons is to get the technology/patents!

I think it went something like this.......

Ford had the heated windscreen patent.
Ford bought Landrover - patent transferred (I have a heated screen in my Defender! - although you need it as the heater is useless!)
BMW bought Landrover - patent transferred
BMW bought Mini - patent transferred

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I had it on my Ford Focus - brilliant feature. Not in leaf, and not in the BMW i3 ... less a problem if you remember to preheat though

·
Likes talking about cars
789 Posts
Same, I had it on my focus, didn't like seeing the heating elements (although fine). But worked well, climate control timer in the Leaf works for me in the mornings (only wish it would use heat + AC) to avoid the build up of moisture in the car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nissan has it on the current Qashqai...not sure why they skipped it on LEAF

Reactions: Paul

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I've never had the screen take more than a few seconds to clear on the Leaf, A quick blast of the defrost setting normally does it for me. That, and some Fog Doc (which probably needs re-applying now it's been on the car for about 6 months)
Fog Doc is much cheaper than an expensive heated windscreen.
Heated wing mirrors, however, they're useful. My old Honda had those.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Same, I had it on my focus, didn't like seeing the heating elements (although fine). But worked well, climate control timer in the Leaf works for me in the mornings (only wish it would use heat + AC) to avoid the build up of moisture in the car.
Me too. Had it on a Mondeo and once you focus on the elements you have a job not seeing them. Also when driving into the early morning or evening sun they'd obscure the view. Much prefer the idea of pre-conditioning your car with an EV.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts