Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dont understand - nothing unusual there

I mean there is an ac and a dc charger on each post and you can only plug in 1 car at a time even though there are 2 connectors and 2 parking spaces

JJ

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,859 Posts
There are 2 parking spaces because some EVs have the connector on one side, some on the other, just like ICE cars*.
The difference is that charger leads aren't usually long enough to reach across a car like petrol hoses.

* Of course, some EVs (Zoe, MG, Kona, e-Niro) have the connector on the front, so can use either space.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok but why can’t 2 charge at once?

panel has buttons to control both sides of the post

other posts like the Pod-Point ones can

just adds to the “there are not enough chargers”

This can half charge 1 car every 45 mins

Hmmmmm :)

JJ

·
Registered
16,918 Posts
Ok but why can’t 2 charge at once?

panel has buttons to control both sides of the post

other posts like the Pod-Point ones can

just adds to the “there are not enough chargers”

This can half charge 1 car every 45 mins

View attachment 128436

Hmmmmm :)

JJ
Because it’s first generation stuff, made by the French and gifted to the EH.

They were cheap for a reason.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I assume you mean that you can't use both the AC & DC connections at the same time unlike other rapid chargers which usually allow one or other of the DC connections to be used at the same time as the AC.

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
There's only one AC-DC unit inside the charging post, it can't be split into two charging outputs like some charging systems (e.g. Tesla superchargers.) The AC is unavailable while fast charging because the AC supply to these units is often only just about enough for the 50kW fast charging. There would be barely any spare capacity left over.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yes I suppose reducing current is but really viable when the charger cuts of after 45 mins.

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
So Tesla have 20 posts with 2 connectors and can charge 40 cars, EH still promote this as a good system but wonders why uptake of EVs isn’t higher

if there was ever a business to nationalise its the charge network ;)

plus side was only a 30min wait
Nissan mk1 leaf driver was a lovely lady
And free vend

JJ

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
So Tesla have 20 posts with 2 connectors and can charge 40 cars, EH still promote this as a good system but wonders why uptake of EVs isn’t higher
Minor correction - one Supercharger stall can only charge one car at a time even though they have Modified-Type2 as well as CCS heads.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,859 Posts
Minor correction - one Supercharger stall can only charge one car at a time even though they have Modified-Type2 as well as CCS heads.
Unless they're the new V3 stalls as shown on Fully Charged a while back. Those can charge 2 cars at once.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Unless they're the new V3 stalls as shown on Fully Charged a while back. Those can charge 2 cars at once.
No, V3 can also only charge one car at one stall at a time. The difference is that power is not shared between two stalls on V3 vs V2.

The fact it has two connectors per stall is purely for compatibility between the modified-type2 S&X cars and the CCS plug in the Model3 and soon Y (which again, is not really spec-standard CCS on a SuC stall either), if you happen to try and plug in two cars in at the same stall only the first one who plugged in would get power (besides, stall layouts make this near-impossible to accomplish).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts