Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Is this fake news? I just googled "tesla semi fire", and got 1 hit from Sept 2019 showing a semi-trailer on fire destroying 5 Teslas & a Subaru. Cause was a fault in the trailer itself, apparently.

What's the source of the pic above, and how does it relate to electric vehicles please? Reference needed. Petrol cars are catching fire all over the place, all the time.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My girlfriend took it last night while I was driving. We’re on a 2200 mile road trip. It’s a general public safety announcement— when passing a semi, don’t switch lanes right in front of them and then tap your brakes. If you look closely you can see a car on fire crumpled and partially underneath the front of the semi.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,886 Posts
My girlfriend took it last night while I was driving. We’re on a 2200 mile road trip. It’s a general public safety announcement— when passing a semi, don’t switch lanes right in front of them and then tap your brakes. If you look closely you can see a car on fire right in front of the semi.

There is no suggestion that happened as far as I can see.

The debris field appears to be on the hard shoulder. Looks like a case of a sleepy truck driver crashing into a stopped car.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well we were driving through rural nebraska and while doing 80mph+ I was getting passed by semis doing 85+mph. Most of them were doing about 80mph.

·
29,886 Posts
Well we were driving through rural nebraska and while doing 80mph+ I was getting passed by semis doing 85+mph. Most of them were doing about 80mph.
That'll explain it better, wouldn't it?

I suspect the truck might have suffered tyre blowouts, given the flaming marks on the road.

Allowing trucks to drive at speeds in excess of the speed ratings of the tyres seems to be a peculiarly North American thing. They do that in Arizona too, and there the tyres are also under a higher heat loading.

Maybe don't jump to conclusions.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If a semi hit a parked car it’d most likely be an offset collision and the car wouldn’t have ended directly in front.

·
29,886 Posts
If a semi hit a parked car it’d most likely be an offset collision and the car wouldn’t have ended directly in front.

View attachment 137748
Draw me the diagram showing the semi squarely in the hard shoulder as the guy was asleep. What happens then?

Then draw a diagram of someone hitting their brakes in the 1st carriageway lane, where do they end up after 'that' crash ... all neatly on the hard shoudler? errrr ... I think not ....

How can a truck hit a car in the 1st lane and after everything stops they're both on the hard shoulder? Draw me that diagram, please.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well all night I was passing semis that were going slightly slower than my avg speed, but then they were speeding up when I went to overtake making it difficult to obtain a safe distance in front when switching back to the original lane. I can see how it would be tempting to cut in front and tap the brakes to slow the semi down but this would obviously be a mistake. Some people make mistakes.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The fire behind the vehicles was simply a grass fire that was spreading away from the vehicles in dry vegetation.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
To be fair, the original title doesn't mention Tesla. I assumed it might be intended to refer to the best-known semi discussed on here, so included Tesla in my search. Perhaps I shouldn't have done, and it appears I assumed wrongly. Thinking a bit more about it, I don't think there are many Tesla semis on the roads yet, just a few doing testing/PR/whatever.

What the relevence is in a Ev forum I don't know. Brake-checking is a silly & dangerous thing to do in any vehicle under any circumstances I suspect. Electric or not.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wonder if Tesla Autopilot is designed not to brake check semis that are behind the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
AP will brake check whom it damn well pleases!
Good point, a good driver would hopefully not choose to slam on full emergency braking while in front of a truck. AP is it lacking in any appreciation of what is going on behind?

·
29,886 Posts
We're moving into a new era where people really will have to keep their distance.

There is no point tailgating another vehicle and flashing lights at them if it is on auto-drive-pilot-somethingorother as if it will have any effect on the 'thing' in control of the car. It'll happily slam on the brakes if it passes something a bit close, so you'd better be aware of that.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts