Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Leaf lover
4,592 Posts
Given the horrors of the last century it is understandable we have no ideologies driving world opinions these days. We simply have the tired notion that growth is the only option, when growth is now at the heart of our problems.

A few months back a professor was optimistically explaining how the world’s human population will level off at around 11 billion. It was fascinating stuff, the maths and myth busting and it all made sense. Only we have global warming now with 7 billion of us, so what’s so reassuring about the 11 billion figure?

The world needs a front runner. A nation that shows that restraint and sustainability (not sustainable growth) can work.

For me the new ideology must be to work to eliminate poverty This can only be done by abandoning the idea that only growth will give us the means to alleviate poverty. All growth gives us is the perpetuation of poverty.
The aim must be to eliminate rather than alleviate poverty.
To value the rest of nature instead constantly looking to push it to one side, when it really has nowhere to go.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I don't mind the point that I think the article's author is trying to make, and I don't know that I disagree with them terribly, either. However, I suppose that as an American I'm slightly offended at seeming to always be the focus of the blame for environmental ills in the world.

We here do consume a lot. Consumerism is very entrenched in our way of life here as it has been for 70 years or more. For most Americans it is an impossibility to live in any other fashion - not because of our sentiments - not because of our priorities - but because the infrastructure and demands placed on us necessitate it.

I do disagree entirely, though, that affluence brings with it a disregard and disrespect for the environment. This may be true in some cases, and it is these cases that may likely be the biggest culprits and biggest contributors to environmental damage in our world, but by-in-large it is my experience that a certain degree of affluence brings with it the capacity to do something different from those around us.

In my experience I've seen the greatest disregard for the environment be among those who live in poverty. Poverty brings with it so many other ills as well, and I completely agree with @richardglover the the prioritization must be on eliminating poverty.

Consumerism was a solution to solve poverty. In some ways it worked, but we all know that consumerism is not sustainable, and it does have its casualties.

I believe that a better solution to poverty is through education and skills training. If we put our greatest emphasis on enabling and encouraging our planet to become well-educated and well-trained then I believe that we will discover a way out of both poverty and consumerism.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts