Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Wi-fi on the electric highway

9K views 101 replies 23 participants last post by  Grum 
#1 ·
Charging at Chievley I saw this on my phone.

Does anyone know what it is all about? Is there a way that we can get use of wi-fi provided my the charger?

See less See more
#67 · (Edited)
The Fastned system offers alternatives to attract different user patterns. An annual charge with 'all you can eat', a monthly charge with a standard kWh fee, and a PAYG at a higher price. But of course their entire system is light years ahead of our shambles.

Edit :- looks like they have changed slightly and now have a two tier monthly option.

Pricing

Second Edit :- In fact looking at the Fastned operation makes me very envious. Browse around to see how they have fine tuned it to cover user requests. In particular look at the various access options, including SMS. And free WiFi at hubs that work as normal WiFi so that other personal IT tasks can be carried out whilst charging there.

Fastned

#77 ·
The Fastned system offers alternatives to attract different user patterns. An annual charge with 'all you can eat', a monthly charge with a standard kWh fee, and a PAYG at a higher price. But of course their entire system is light years ahead of our shambles.

Edit :- looks like they have changed slightly and now have a two tier monthly option.

Pricing

Second Edit :- In fact looking at the Fastned operation makes me very envious. Browse around to see how they have fine tuned it to cover user requests. In particular look at the various access options, including SMS. And free WiFi at hubs that work as normal WiFi so that other personal IT tasks can be carried out whilst charging there.

Fastned
They've reduced their prices since Iast looked at them. Now much more attractive and only slightly more than Ecotricity, but for a much better service. Maybe Ecotricity should crowdfund some cash to copy their business model and get rid of those awful DBT chargers.

#68 ·
Even polar with the instant and plus is light years ahead.

Was thinking about going to South Lakes Zoo but the chargers locally are all charge point genie which involves yet another card or app. At 30p a kWh they're too expensive to make it worth the hassle as well. I do wish ecotricity would hurry up with their 15 minute sessions. I could, now they have wifi, at least risk trying to charge with them (during office hours only obviously)

#74 ·
Failed to start a charge as installing the ecotricity app on the Amazon fire was harder than I thought. However I have just managed to install the app having got home. For those interested, I first had to install apk files for Google play store.
Next time I need to charge at ecot I will try using the fire an ecot wi-fi.
Do you mean installing apk files for Google Play Services? That's a bit different than the Play Store.

The play services actually include a large part of the android os these days as Google have gradually moved as much as possible out of the core which phone vendors are really bad at updating and into a library they control and can update. Almost any app written for android is likely to use features from this library as otherwise they have a very restricted set of functions.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

#83 ·
I was at Hilton Park services (both north and southbound) at the weekend and, after starting the charges on 4G I looked for a WiFi signal but couldn't find one in either case.
Can anyone confirm if these chargers have the WiFi operational yet? If so, how close do you need to be? I was sat in the car.

#86 · (Edited)
Password is all lowercase I think.
That might explain it!
EcoT will tell us one day, unless it's a secret;)

Electric Highway ‏@ElecHighway Feb 2
Wi-Fi is restricted to a small area around each pump. It’s called EHWifi_sitename & password = Ecotricity #ukcharge #EVs (2/3)

7 replies18 retweets25 likes

Electric Highway‏@ElecHighway
@rowenanews it's not on a sign no. It's "ecotricity" for all sites though, so you could screenshot this tweet, or save it in your notes? :)

< sigh > I've asked for clarification.

#88 ·
Why is it always like 20 questions with ecotricity. Just put the information on the website even if they release it as a beta version and email all the users with the information. They seem to think once they have tweeted something everyone knows all about it. Talk about playing hard to get :(

Richard

#92 ·
Used the WiFi at Corley north and south at the weekend. Wifi strength was poor sitting in the car, but worked well to start the charge, when I held my phone up to the dash.

Password as above, ecotricity, all lowercase.

Could not access emails or anything else through the WiFi. So I'd suggest you know your login and password :) The app logged me out last week when I turned up at the charger, luckily the helpline was open the start the charge remotely.

#93 ·
I'll be charging at Shardlow (A50) tomorrow. I'll see if I can get some signal standing right next to the unit. It was bitter cold and raining at the weekend so I stayed in the car. The phone just couldn't lock onto any WiFi at all.

#94 ·
I tried the WiFi at A50 Shardlow (Welcome Break, Derby Eastbound). No signal in the car. Stood next to the unit and connected. Accepted the password and went through the normal screens but crashed out with an error on the last screen before payment confirmation. I switched to 4G and tried again but same error.
I rang Ecotricity. After 30 minutes on the phone they couldn't remote start the charge so they tried a reboot. They found they couldn't communicate with the unit. They said an engineer will have to come out. I had to go out of my way slightly to M1 Trowell services. Lucky I had enough charge but I arrived late to my meeting in Nottingham.

#97 ·
I rang Ecotricity. After 30 minutes on the phone they couldn't remote start the charge so they tried a reboot. They found they couldn't communicate with the unit.
See, this is when it should default to free vend. They can't communicate so it gives away electricity. They start losing money, hey presto, quick repairs. Hopla!

#96 ·
I tried the WiFi at Bangor yesterday. It worked.

I was able to connect from inside the car. I started the charge from outside because I needed the pump number.

I stopped the charge 5 minutes early from inside the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.