Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
EGolf
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we are having a driveway laid so no home charging for a few days. She drove to the BP Pulse at the end of the road but gave up once it didn’t take her debit card and is now at Ospray and I get this picture sent

Followed by the message “which one do I use?”
This might take some time.... :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2017 Nissan Leaf Acenta 30kWh
21 Posts
You're lucky she had an alternative nearby! I've just had to talk my wife through her first rapid charge, with the full BP Pulse experience. It went something like this:
WIFE: I'm at the charger and it's BP Pulse, is that OK?
ME: Uh Oh...
WIFE: The charger has contactless, shall I just use that?
ME: You can try, but it won't work.
wait...
WIFE: It doesn't work.
ME: That's normal. You'll have to use the app. I've installed it on your phone and logged it in as me.
wait...
WIFE: I've opened the app but nothing's happening.
ME: That's normal, you have to wait a while.
After talking her through finding the chargepoint ID and getting it to start...
WIFE: Which connector do I use, there are 3 of them?
ME: ChaDeMo
WIFE: Cha what?
ME: Open the black flap next to the orange one that you normally use. Find the one that fits. If it fits in, it's the right one.
wait.
WIFE: It's charging!!!
ME: Phew.
15 minutes later she calls back.
WIFE: How do I stop it charging?
ME: You can try the app, but it probably won't work.
wait...
WIFE: It doesn't have any option to stop the charge?
ME: That's normal. Just press the big red Emergency Stop button on the charger.
WIFE: Are you sure?
ME: I do it all the time. It's the only way, unless you want to try phoning them?
wait...
WIFE: OK I pressed it. I can go now.

·
Registered
EGolf
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im not sure I have your patients! 🤣

Funny as the one at the end of the road is BP and we walk the dog past it daily and I have even stopped to show her the correct plug etc. She also has the app but in fairness its BP's loss and Ospey's gain due to ease (or lack of) use

·
Registered
2017 Nissan Leaf Acenta 30kWh
21 Posts
Im not sure I have your patients! 🤣

Funny as the one at the end of the road is BP and we walk the dog past it daily and I have even stopped to show her the correct plug etc. She also has the app but in fairness its BP's loss and Ospey's gain due to ease (or lack of) use
Have you ever used the BP Pulse? I'd advise against it unless you have no alternative. At least the fast chargers have the emergency stop button to end the charge. With the slow chargers I have to phone them up after every charge in order to get my cable released.

·
Registered
EGolf
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I made the mistake of using the "Free" BP Pulse AC chargers at Asda as a trial the other week. I set up the app, added £5 to said app, then got charged £1.20 as a connection fee, was connected for 20mins and had to go! Wont be making that mistake again!

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,702 Posts
.............. then got charged £1.20 as a connection fee, was connected for 20mins and had to go! Wont be making that mistake again!
Hotel California. Run by the Mafia. You can never leave. They advertise the modest connection fee to capture you but don't advertise the £50 release fee.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
My wife's now OK with using the charge point I put in for her new Zoe and as soon as the restrictions are lifted we are going to head off so she can check out using a rapid charger before she needs to use one in anger. She's planning a long trip in June, so I just hope that she can get to grips with using a rapid before then.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Petrol pumps aren’t much easier. About a month after acquiring a brand-new pearlescent white MX5 a few years back - which I was very proud of as a 21 year old chap - my mrs brought it home with a stripe of Shell Pump Yellow down the side.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
I think my wife could manage a CCS charge though her fingers do seem to have a sort of resistance to activating touch screens. Apps would definitely be a step too far. The next problem is she has no patience, so waiting half an hour or more to fill it would be stretching things.
Then I checked out where she is going for her holiday in June which turns out to be a bit of a rapid desert. So there is finding a charger, waiting in line to use it, finding it broken or blocked and needing a plan B, or more.

Life throws enough problems at me without inviting more, so we'll be sticking with liquid fuel for a few more years - or death/loss of licences ... It could be close run :)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
One thing that my wife noticed as being a bit more difficult than she expected was pushing the connector in to the car. It's not something I'd ever thought about, perhaps because I drove a plug-in hybrid with a Type 1 connector for around 5 years and didn't really notice that the Type 2 needs a fair bit more force to push home. Before she ordered the Zoe we went out to a nearby supercharger so she could practice plugging a CCS connector into the Tesla I used to own and she found that pretty hard going.

She's now used to plugging the Type 2 into her Zoe, but I did try and make things as easy as possible, by making sure the charge point is close by (I fitted it to a post right next to where she parks) and by using the lightest cable I could find, to make it a bit easier to handle. The lightest, slimmest, cable I could find is the really nice, European made, stuff that EV Chargeking supply (I have no affiliation with them, other than as a happy customer) and I would strongly recommend this stuff, as it is like chalk and cheese when compared to some other tethered cables. It is much easier to handle and massively tougher than the crappy Chinese made cable, the stuff that has a very soft outer sheath, that seems to be used by a lot of charge point manufacturers. It's also easier to coil up neatly, as the tough, shiny, PU sheath makes it naturally lie in neat loops.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,566 Posts
I remember test driving a Soul with my wife. She drove, I wanted it to be her idea to buy one, and she got it down to 4% without a thought of worrying that we were going to an Electric Highway rapid and She had no issue jumping out and getting it going. If I had done that you can bet She would have been worried at running it so low and the bloody rapid wouldn't have worked for me!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I struggle with the granny charger sometimes :) plugging in is fine, but getting the car to release it is frustrating more often than I’d hoped. Open app, go to charging section, stop charging or unlock charge port

as much as the zappi is a nice charger, I wish I had a button on my cable to release the damn thing

1 - 20 of 36 Posts