Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a GTE MK7 with MIB2. My MIB2 has no 'Network setting' or 'Wireless LAN' option. Is it possible to connect the car to the WiFi hotspot of my phone to get it registered to the VW Connect? I can't get my car registered to the VW Connect portal because the GTE can't communicate with the internet.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Pretty sure that the first run of MY16 cars with standard MIB2 units don't have the app connect in the menu system, so there is no option to have it retro-fitted; whilst later build GTE's from October onwards, do have app connect in the menu, and can have it retro fitted by purchasing a code from VW and dealer activating it.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have a GTE MK7 with MIB2. My MIB2 has no 'Network setting' or 'Wireless LAN' option. Is it possible to connect the car to the WiFi hotspot of my phone to get it registered to the VW Connect? I can't get my car registered to the VW Connect portal because the GTE can't communicate with the internet.
I don't think We Connect can be used via WiFi - I think it only works if the car has the built in SIM card and related hardware.

When you say your car can't communicate with the Internet, do you mean it does not have the hardware, or...?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty sure that the first run of MY16 cars with standard MIB2 units don't have the app connect in the menu system, so there is no option to have it retro-fitted; whilst later build GTE's from October onwards, do have app connect in the menu, and can have it retro fitted by purchasing a code from VW and dealer activating it.
I do have 'App-Connect' in my menu and can connect my phone to the unit using a USB cable. There is no Car-net menu though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think We Connect can be used via WiFi - I think it only works if the car has the built in SIM card and related hardware.

When you say your car can't communicate with the Internet, do you mean it does not have the hardware, or...?
Definitely no SIM slot in the car. I tried registering on the VW Connect portal and it keeps failing as it can't verify the mileage on my car, which I believe is because the car just can't transmit any data. I called the VW helpline and they asked me to connect the car to my phone hotspot so it is able to verify the mileage

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
I do have 'App-Connect' in my menu and can connect my phone to the unit using a USB cable. There is no Car-net menu though.
On my 2020 GTE, those are unrelated. "App-Connect" is for Android Auto, Apple Carplay, etc, nothing to do with the VW app.
Definitely no SIM slot in the car.
It might be a built in sim, rather than a sim card slot.

On my GTE with Discover Media, there's a little globe icon at the top of the screen near the clock. Not sure if it'd be the same on yours, but might be worth looking for. It's light grey if the car is connected and dark grey if it isn't.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Definitely no SIM slot in the car. I tried registering on the VW Connect portal and it keeps failing as it can't verify the mileage on my car, which I believe is because the car just can't transmit any data. I called the VW helpline and they asked me to connect the car to my phone hotspot so it is able to verify the mileage
As cdlb says it is not an accessible SIM card, it is buried somewhere in a telematics module.

As well as the globe icon cdlb mentions on the screen there is also useful info here - in particular the green light in the overhead console

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On my 2020 GTE, those are unrelated. "App-Connect" is for Android Auto, Apple Carplay, etc, nothing to do with the VW app.

It might be a built in sim, rather than a sim card slot.

On my GTE with Discover Media, there's a little globe icon at the top of the screen near the clock. Not sure if it'd be the same on yours, but might be worth looking for. It's light grey if the car is connected and dark grey if it isn't.
Thanks, I just had a look and no globe icon in mine. Might be it doesn't come with a built-in sim.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As cdlb says it is not an accessible SIM card, it is buried somewhere in a telematics module.

As well as the globe icon cdlb mentions on the screen there is also useful info here - in particular the green light in the overhead console

Thanks for your reply, very informative thread. I had a look and there isn't a SOS button or a green light on my GTE. I just have the standard overhead and rear light switches. It could be something they introduced in the newer mk7.5 models

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Thanks for your reply, very informative thread. I had a look and there isn't a SOS button or a green light on my GTE. I just have the standard overhead and rear light switches. It could be something they introduced in the newer mk7.5 models
As per the other thread probably worth contacting VW and speaking to the We Connect support team, with your VIN to hand - hopefully they can tell you if We Connect should work for your car, and help to fault find if it should.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Thanks, I just had a look and no globe icon in mine. Might be it doesn't come with a built-in sim.
View attachment 140328
Yeah, you're missing the little globe that my car has next to the clock. The caveat here is that my car is a 2020 Passat, so they may not be the exact same.

I don't have a picture of mine, but it looks like this one that I found on another forum if you want something to compare against. This picture has it greyed out (not connected), it turns white when it's connected.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Problem resolved. Thanks to you all for your advice. My car apparently has an embedded sim and I can now use the VW Connect app to control charging, heating, see car parking location, driving, etc. After contacting the VW Customer Services, I managed to get the car registered by changing my units to Kilometres and then entering the mileage in the VW portal in Kilometers.

Here is the reply back from VW Customer services team

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen Digital Services.

We apologize for the inconvenience you are currently facing. However, we are more than happy to assist you.

As we further analyze your vehicle status, the communication between your vehicle and Volkswagen server are up to date as well as your driving data.

The embedded Sim that it's installed in your vehicle is also activated, however, our system showing that you are still have not complete the enrollment.

Please remove the vehicle then add and complete the enrollment of your vehicle in the We Connect Portal.

www.portal.volkswagen-we.com

Also in VW ID:

https://vwid.vwgroup.io/

In order to enroll your vehicle, we would suggest you take it for a short drive of 6-7 km, then note down the mileage as indicated on your dashboard.

If you are having trouble entering the mileage, please convert the mileage to kilometers, via an online converter, and then try registering. If the initial value is not accepted, it would indicate that there is partial mileage which cannot be accommodated in the mileage field. In that case, please adjust the initial value by +/-1 and try again.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Problem resolved. Thanks to you all for your advice. My car apparently has an embedded sim and I can now use the VW Connect app to control charging, heating, see car parking location, driving, etc. After contacting the VW Customer Services, I managed to get the car registered by changing my units to Kilometres and then entering the mileage in the VW portal in Kilometers.

Here is the reply back from VW Customer services team

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen Digital Services.

We apologize for the inconvenience you are currently facing. However, we are more than happy to assist you.

As we further analyze your vehicle status, the communication between your vehicle and Volkswagen server are up to date as well as your driving data.

The embedded Sim that it's installed in your vehicle is also activated, however, our system showing that you are still have not complete the enrollment.

Please remove the vehicle then add and complete the enrollment of your vehicle in the We Connect Portal.

www.portal.volkswagen-we.com

Also in VW ID:

https://vwid.vwgroup.io/

In order to enroll your vehicle, we would suggest you take it for a short drive of 6-7 km, then note down the mileage as indicated on your dashboard.

If you are having trouble entering the mileage, please convert the mileage to kilometers, via an online converter, and then try registering. If the initial value is not accepted, it would indicate that there is partial mileage which cannot be accommodated in the mileage field. In that case, please adjust the initial value by +/-1 and try again.
Result (y)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts