Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

Can anyone recommend an effective and reasonably priced WiFi extender to allow me to boost the WiFi signal in my detached garage. The garage is about 30 metres from my BT router, which is inside the main house.

I have had an EO smart charger installed in the garage, and would like to be able to make use of its ‘smart’ features via my iPhone whilst away from the property.

Thanks.... all help much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
If your router is already in the closest part of your house a simple repeater may not be much help. Can you be a bit more specific about the geography.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Don't even bother with a "repeater" which relies on a wireless connection back to your main base station - waste of time, especially if you're trying to reach a detached garage. Ethernet cabling out to the garage is ideal of course but may not be feasible.

A good compromise is powerline ethernet with one end having a built in Wifi base station. I have one of these:

Although I normally have it in the house I have plugged the WiFi end into the garage on occasion and it works great. Real world throughput using AV1000 is only about 100Mbps but that's about 100 times more than you'd need for a smart charger... the main thing is that the connection needs to be reliable.

If you only need Ethernet at the charge point end there are cheaper models that forego the WiFi, (like this one: TL-PA7010 KIT | AV1000 Gigabit Powerline Starter Kit | TP-Link United Kingdom ) however this particular WiFi model has both Wifi and an ethernet port which can be used simulataneously, and you may find the Wifi useful in the garage even if your charge point doesn't need it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your router is already in the closest part of your house a simple repeater may not be much help. Can you be a bit more specific about the geography.

Hello Mike,
The Router is in the hallway with a large double glazed window looking out to the garden. Across that (flat) part of the garden is the garage, about 30-35 meters away.

Is that the kind of info you are looking for?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
271 Posts
Don't even bother with a "repeater" which relies on a wireless connection back to your main base station - waste of time, especially if you're trying to reach a detached garage. Ethernet cabling out to the garage is ideal of course but may not be feasible.
I agree with the fact that cabling is preferred, but I beg to differ when it comes to WiFI range. An outdoor (i.e mounted on the wall on the outside of the house) will have way more than 30 metres of range, provided there is line of sight. If the receiver in the garage can be equipped with an outdoor antenna, then 70 metres would be perfectly feasible.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

A good compromise is powerline ethernet with one end having a built in Wifi base station. I have one of these:

Although I normally have it in the house I have plugged the WiFi end into the garage on occasion and it works great. Real world throughput using AV1000 is only about 100Mbps but that's about 100 times more than you'd need for a smart charger... the main thing is that the connection needs to be reliable.

If you only need Ethernet at the charge point end there are cheaper models that forego the WiFi, however this particular WiFi model has both Wifi and an ethernet port which can be used simulataneously, and you may find the Wifi useful in the garage even if your charge point doesn't need it.
Hello again,

Is this the same kind of thing : Buy Netgear 1000Mbps Powerline Kit | Powerlines | Argos

Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Is that the kind of info you are looking for?
Yep :)
Unless you can fit the repeater nearer the garage than the router, which it seems is unlikely inside, then it may not help. The suggestion in #8 above might work, but needing to be weatherproof will up the cost.
Alternatively a directional repeater, beamed at the garage, might work.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
I agree with the fact that cabling is preferred, but I beg to differ when it comes to WiFI range. An outdoor (i.e mounted on the wall on the outside of the house) will have way more than 30 metres of range, provided there is line of sight. If the receiver in the garage can be equipped with an outdoor antenna, then 70 metres would be perfectly feasible.
The OP's wireless router is clearly not mounted on the outside of their house - it's in their hallway as stated in an earlier post. And any repeater receiving that would not be outside either it would plugged into a power socket inside the garage. So your scenario is totally unrealistic and optimistic as there are no outside antennas involved.

At least two walls to go through, one of them probably brick and 35 metres between them. Fat chance with typical consumer WiFi such as a Virgin Superhub or BT Homehub and a cheap (or any) repeater.

My main Wifi router (yes, it's a Superhub 2 so not great) is in the living room and has two solid walls and less than 10 metres to reach the garage - and there is zero usable signal inside the garage despite the garage being attached, devices can't even detect anything. On the other hand the powerline ethernet backhaul to the garage works brilliantly, and as long as the OP's garage power comes back to the same consumer unit/meter as the house it should work well, certainly well enough for a low bandwidth application.

One of my responsibilities at work is managing a school enterprise wireless network, even with the enterprise gear we use you can't count on 35 metres through two walls. One wall, yeah, sometimes, but not two. Too much attenuation.

Powerline ethernet as the backhaul is the obvious choice in the OP's scenario when you consider ease of implementation, cost and reliability. I've had almost zero problems with the TP-Link unit I linked above - the repeater I had previously was non stop problems even used within the same building.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That one is Ethernet only. Can your smart charge point use an Ethernet connection ? Or does it need WiFi ?

If it doesn't have an Ethernet port you won't be able to use that one, you'll need one that includes a WiFi base station like the one I linked.
Hello Simon,

Once again, thanks for getting in touch. You’ve convinced me that the ‘Powerline’ option is the one for me, and I shall track down the model you recommend above.

I should add that this is all brand new territory for me, and so I may be asking for a bit of help when I come to if that wouldn’t be too much of an imposition ?

Thanks and kind regards,

David

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
If the garage power is fed from the same CU as the house - and has a 13amp socket available then the simplest, cheapest, and most idiot proof solution is a T-Link system with one end plugged into a 13amp socket by the router and cabled to the router. Then the other unit plugged in a 13amp socket in the garage. Instant WiFi available within the garage area using the mains wiring as the connection.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Hitstirrer....

.... your reference to Consumer Unit prompts a question. In my case, The main CU is in the house, with a feed going out to the garage, which then has its own smaller distribution board, feeding 4 x 13amp sockets, plus the EO charger unit.

I’m buying this kit: TP-LINK TL-WPA7510 WiFi Powerline Adapter Kit - Twin Pack

Just checking.... do you think that will this work in the manner that you describe above?
Thanks again, and kind regards,
David

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello Simon,

Once again, thanks for getting in touch. You’ve convinced me that the ‘Powerline’ option is the one for me, and I shall track down the model you recommend above.

I should add that this is all brand new territory for me, and so I may be asking for a bit of help when I come to if that wouldn’t be too much of an imposition ?

Thanks and kind regards,

David

——-
PS... please see my subsequent exchange with ‘Hitstirrer’ below. Ref. Consumer Units.... I wonder if you might have any comments?

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
Thanks Hitstirrer....

.... your reference to Consumer Unit prompts a question. In my case, The main CU is in the house, with a feed going out to the garage, which then has its own smaller distribution board, feeding 4 x 13amp sockets, plus the EO charger unit.

I’m buying this kit: TP-LINK TL-WPA7510 WiFi Powerline Adapter Kit - Twin Pack

Just checking.... do you think that will this work in the manner that you describe above?
Thanks again, and kind regards,
David
The key is that the two units use a common mains connection to talk to each other so I don’t see a problem with a secondary small distribution box in the garage. But PC World offer a 14 day return anyway if it doesn’t work. A few hoops to jump through which is why I tend to use Amazon who offer a seamless return policy.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
The key is that the two units use a common mains connection to talk to each other so I don’t see a problem with a secondary small distribution box in the garage. But PC World offer a 14 day return anyway if it doesn’t work. A few hoops to jump through which is why I tend to use Amazon who offer a seamless return policy.
In my garage there is a mini CU with fused switch and circuit breaker which supplies lights and a 3 pin socket, this goes back to a circuit breaker on the main CU in the house. Surprisingly the power over ethernet speed when plugged into this socket in the garage is even better than when plugged into the socket I normally use inside the house!

It all depends on the way the house is wired and what path the signal has to travel between the two points. Within the same property you're always going to get a connection, the only question is what speed it will be, but for this application speed is not that important as long as it's reliable.

Using a seller like Amazon with a good returns policy is a good idea though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you very much ?
In my garage there is a mini CU with fused switch and circuit breaker which supplies lights and a 3 pin socket, this goes back to a circuit breaker on the main CU in the house. Surprisingly the power over ethernet speed when plugged into this socket in the garage is even better than when plugged into the socket I normally use inside the house!

It all depends on the way the house is wired and what path the signal has to travel between the two points. Within the same property you're always going to get a connection, the only question is what speed it will be, but for this application speed is not that important as long as it's reliable.

Using a seller like Amazon with a good returns policy is a good idea though.

Good morning Simon.... my TL-WPA7510 Kit has just been delivered!

Once I have met my dog walking responsibilities, I shall unpack the kit set it up....fingers crossed.

I’ll keep you posted. Meanwhile...

Have a good day!
David

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Sounds like your garage is becoming a man cave with WiFi. What excuse will you be using for the beer fridge? ?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts