Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit a deer this morning stupid thing just wandered across the road, no chance to stop, happily I wasn't going that fast and damage appears to be cosmetic i'm going to keep an eye on the coolant levels for the next few days just be on the safe side.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I've hit a deer before too, you might find you have blood and slime all under the front of the car which will start to smell horrendous if you don't blast it off, you're lucky it didn't come over the car and through the windscreen.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I hope you put it in the boot as I assume it is dead despite only cosmetic damage! :p
Nowt wrong with a bit of fresh venison!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was a small deer, no sign of any gore on the car bu thanks for the heads up, @Russ You're not allowed to pick up your own roadkill apparently ( how anyone would know I'm not sure ) but thems the rules

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Fresh organic meat and no shot! Wouldn't stop me on a quiet road.:LOL:

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,650 Posts
Be wary they often travel in pairs. You get startled by the first one, look at where it has disappeared to and don't see the second one following behind until it is too late.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I hit one at some speed (ahem - at least 80+) at about 02:00 on the A34 in a Vectra.

it was so dark I couldn't see what damage there was but as far as I could tell the power steering had failed, but nevertheless I drove it the 30 or so miles home.

At the crash repairer the next day he said "you're power steering's gone". "Yes" I said, "I know". He said "No, it's completely gone - the motor behind the front skirt is missing".

I think the deer probably didn't survive!!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I hit one in the mk7 transit doing 65+, apparently the transit tipper behind me said he saw it fly over the roof of my van and his, landed in the hedge somewhere.

Minimal damage to the mk7....

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
... You're not allowed to pick up your own roadkill apparently ( how anyone would know I'm not sure ) but thems the rules
It depends! A friend of mine hit a pheasant, killed it dead on the road. Walked back to pick it up, just as a following policeman also pulled up, hoping to have it himself. The policeman said: "You're not allowed to pick up that pheasant you've just killed!". Mate said: "Oh yes I am". Produced his shotgun license and said "It states here: licenced to kill game. Says nothing about what I use to kill the game with!". He picked up the pheasant and left the policeman open-mouthed! :)

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just taken a closer look this morning, coolant levels are fine PHEW, the plastic lower grill verical strut is broken off at the base and that' the extent of it. Any ideas where I can get that lower grill insert ?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Well I crashed my car start of December leaving quite a bit of front end damage including headlight and various bumper parts. Body shop is still waiting for some of these parts from Vauxhall who can not give an ETA. Parts availability has always been a bit hit and miss for the Ampera.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've had a look at the parts manual on-line and the inner lower grille just unclips, There is one available in Germany at 147 euro and it's $57 from the US. It should be repairable with a bit of plastic welding hopefully get my local body shop bloke to look at it on Monday.

There are several on-line GM parts suppliers gmpartsgiant.com ship to international destinations

25975547 - Genuine GM Grille-Front Bumper Lower Fascia Center this is the part I need

manual page for the front end.

FRONT BUMPER OPEL AMPERA

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have to see how it's broken before it can be fixed but thanks for tthe idea looks an interesting product

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Well I crashed my car start of December leaving quite a bit of front end damage including headlight and various bumper parts. Body shop is still waiting for some of these parts from Vauxhall who can not give an ETA. Parts availability has always been a bit hit and miss for the Ampera.
My car has been in a body shop twice over the years for rear end damage (not me guv) and had extended stays due to difficulty getting parts.
Surely these parts are not made to order but deep in a wharehouse somewhere in the US at worst. Why does it take so long when I can go online to GM parts suppliers and be quoted just a few days direct from the US?

Is Vx on stop with them?

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
It depends! A friend of mine hit a pheasant, killed it dead on the road. Walked back to pick it up, just as a following policeman also pulled up, hoping to have it himself. The policeman said: "You're not allowed to pick up that pheasant you've just killed!". Mate said: "Oh yes I am". Produced his shotgun license and said "It states here: licenced to kill game. Says nothing about what I use to kill the game with!". He picked up the pheasant and left the policeman open-mouthed! :)
I would have thought that any good citizen should move a carcase out of the road where it is a danger and take it directly to a recycling facility where it will not be wasted (the kitchen) :LOL::whistle:

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My local body bloke has fixed the lower grille so all is well just need to fit a new stone guard this weekend

1 - 18 of 18 Posts