Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you know if the Zoe ZE50 has any features to top up the 12 volt battery, say if you leave it parked up for a long time (2-4 weeks)?

Say if it was left at an airport for a couple of weeks, when you come back to it, will the 12 volt battery need charging?

I'm aware the traction battery will hold its charge for a much longer time, so I'm not concerned about that. It is the 12 volt battery that concerns me and if the car shouldn't be left for that long without running.

I've not been able to find out anything definitive from Renault about this unfortunately.

·
Registered
Zoe R110 ZE40
274 Posts
Yes - it will slowly drain. There are a number of connected services and the electronic locking systems that will always stay active, slowing running down the battery.

A few weeks wouldn't be an issue. Once you get over a month of no activity, I'd be starting to think harder about it.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
581 Posts
Do you know if the Zoe ZE50 has any features to top up the 12 volt battery, say if you leave it parked up for a long time (2-4 weeks)?

Say if it was left at an airport for a couple of weeks, when you come back to it, will the 12 volt battery need charging?

I'm aware the traction battery will hold its charge for a much longer time, so I'm not concerned about that. It is the 12 volt battery that concerns me and if the car shouldn't be left for that long without running.

I've not been able to find out anything definitive from Renault about this unfortunately.
I'd expect the 12V battery to last as long as an ICE car battery, and I've left one of those at an airport for 2 weeks. It has to work much harder to operate the starter motor too, while there's no comparable drain on a EV 12V battery.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,815 Posts
I'm about to leave ours for, possibly, seven weeks.... Is there any harm in just disconnecting the 12v entirely or will that cause great upset when it comes back?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These quotes are from a couple of different Renault web sites about 12V battery being topped up from the traction battery. I couldn't tell which models this applies to.

If you are planning to leave your electric car for a long period of time, we would recommend leaving it with between 40-70% charged to ensure it can top up the 12V battery if it starts to run low.” Electric vehicle consumption: the impacts - Renault

However, leaving the battery fully charged for an extended period of time is not recommended. In fact, it could actually accelerate the wear on battery cells. The best option is to charge your battery to no more than 50% before leaving your car parked for an extended period of time. That said, it is best not to leave the battery completely empty either, so that it can regularly recharge the small 12V battery that powers the car’s various accessories. With Renault ZOE, we recommend a minimum charge of 20%. This way, the car will be ready to drive right away, without needing to be charged first.Electric cars: how to prepare for an extended period of inactivity - Easy Electric Life

Anybody know if this info is accurate?

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
644 Posts
I’d try out the following procedure while you are at home with time to spare.
Open bonnet.
Close and lock all car doors. (will it lock with the bonnet open ? )
Monitor the battery voltage and wait till the battery voltage drops showing the DC-DC 12 volt charging has stopped.
Wait another 5 minutes.
Remove a battery terminal, preferably the earth.
Shut the bonnet.
Leave for 7 weeks or a few minutes if you’re just testing.
Check the car is still locked and see if you can get in using the emergency key in the fob (if there is one in the ZE50.

Up to ZE40 the car does not charge the 12v battery if left alone, and I expect the ZE50 to be the same.
How about doing a remote cabin heat via the app while you’re away, this should charge the 12v battery, as you say the traction battery is not a problem.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens Q210 22kw 2013
747 Posts
as far as i know the dc-dc converter charges the 12v battery when the drivers door is open , wakes the car up and starts charging. thats not possible if you are not physically there . I know the remote precon wakes up the car too , but enough to charge 12v battery I am not so sure. Could you bring one of these 12v emergency portable starters with you on holiday and then if you get back after a couple of weeks and your Zoe is totally dead that you cannot even unlock the doors can you let yourself in with the emergency key in the fob (I think the barrel lock is in passenger side door - it being a french car and they drive on the wrong side of the road LOL :) ) - then when you get in you can open up the bonnet and start it up with the emergency engine starter. I bought one of these the other day:

·
Registered
Zoe R110 ZE40
274 Posts
If you've got an external power source, you could have the traction battery mainly discharged, then schedule the car to charge for 30min a week. It will top up the 12V while charging the traction battery.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,716 Posts
The elephant in the room (pun intended!) is the state of your 12V battery. You're asking for a ZE50 so I assume it is not too old, and you should basically be fine. It's not like the ZOE draws more power when it is asleep than any other fairly modern car, be it EV or dino.

Really the only difference is that when it's dead, it's dead. No pushing it with a few strong guys (electric handbrake, and no generator), which is quite the experience, especially if you know the traction battery is fairly full. Ask me how I know.............. Not that that doesn't happen with modern dino cars, so the difference is diminishing in that respect too.

·
Registered
747 Posts
gotta think what draws the power though on these type of cars with handsfree unlocking - so that for a start , its got to be having a trickle power to keep that awake , always listening out for the key fob in its vicinity. Also go to have some trickle power going to the GPRS modem so that when you send a command from the my renault app to precon it start her up. - all got to be supplied by the 12v battery, cannot see it all listening (or in a standby state) using the traction battery - so over time would this not be helping draining the 12v battery when the car is sitting there not doing anything?

·
Registered
747 Posts
There are settings in the BCM of the Zoe in DDT (well this is older Zoe as an example, i should imagine new on the same) called Supersleep. Now i have not done full research on this so forgive me if I am wrong, but it seems that maybe its a way of totally shutting down the whole system , maybe while car is laid up in storage before selling and then when the car is ready to be sold turned off in its PDi (pre delivery inspection)

·
Registered
Zoe R110 ZE40
274 Posts
gotta think what draws the power though on these type of cars with handsfree unlocking - so that for a start , its got to be having a trickle power to keep that awake , always listening out for the key fob in its vicinity.
The proximity sensors only activate when you press the button on the door handle or pull boot handle - they then check for a nearby fob. However it is listening for the keyfob button and for the door buttons all the time.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GTline CCS
882 Posts
so on a ZE50 you walk up and can hear the doors unlocking and you only have to pull the handle to open the door is that how it works on the 50?
Yes.. on mine as I walk towards her the door mirrors automatically unfold back into normal position and as I walk away the doors lock and the mirrors fold in .. it's handy so you can see car is locked by looking at the mirrors .

·
Registered
ZOE 50 Intens + CCS, Flamme Red
111 Posts
@elephant
The answer is in your question. If you left your ZOE ZE50 stationary too long it will definitely drain the 12 volt battery.

The question is how long is "too long", when "too long" begin.

The other question is how to prevent draining the 12 volt battery if you left your ZOE ZE50 stationary for some time.

And you got some answers from people replaying you, didn't you?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts