Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HI all,

So I have been working on Motorsport EVs and Hybrids for the last 5 years and am heavily involved in Formula E with my work. Therefore I plan to move across to an EV early next year . The delay is that I am having an extension which involves knocking down and rebuilding my garage...so no point having an EV and no means to home charge.

My commute to Woking and back is ~20 miles total...and I don't like spending money. Also I need the flexibility to add another 60 miles onto the end of my day....so hoping for something I can get to and from work under full EV, with the backup to switch to fossil fuel in rare instances.

Therefore expecting to do an Ampera (real world 30 mile worst case range from what I understand) or an i3 REx (real world >60 mile range). So I will be keeping an eye on those forums or/and classified ads....but just wanted to say hi in the first instance...
Hello!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
If you are working in Motorsport EV, is there any chance of charging at work until your garage is rebuilt? A Leaf30 should have no difficulty in doing 10 miles home, 60 miles out and about in the evening, and 10 miles back to work. For weekends and when you do a bit extra, there is always the 'granny lead' which you can use to charge slowly from any good 13A socket.

OK the Leaf is pure EV with no fossil fuel backup, so longer trips rely on finding en-route or destination chargers, and their availability depends on where in the country you are located. See Map of charging points for electric car drivers in UK: Zap-Map for locations of possible charging points.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Dave. Unfortunately parking in the "Woking Office" is a fiasco at the best of times...so no charging at work on the horizon. However I will enjoy the few months of research and procrastination I am going to get between now and the new year.

I have considered the leaf as a cost effective option, but I am not a fan of the shape so that affects the "pros and cons" in the spreadsheet ;-) ....though not closing my mind to anything....

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
If you have parking space at home (with all the building work going on) an older Leaf 24 will do your trip to work and home with no problem, and shorter journeys in the evening (possibly with a top-up with the 'granny lead' while you have your supper snack) will still be possible, and keep your current petrol powered car for longer journeys. The VED on the Leaf is £0, so you only have the insurance and servicing costs to worry about, and a saving of 100 miles worth of petrol for the other car each week.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am massively put off by the battery rental concept with the Renaults. It adds enough of a monthly cost to negate the cost saving gained from not burning petrol. I can get a good discount on a brand new Renault Zoe through work...but I do not really want to buy new either. But glad your suggestions are matching my thoght processes and things that I have entered in my spreadsheet :)

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I am massively put off by the battery rental concept with the Renaults. It adds enough of a monthly cost to negate the cost saving gained from not burning petrol. I can get a good discount on a brand new Renault Zoe through work...but I do not really want to buy new either. But glad your suggestions are matching my thoght processes and things that I have entered in my spreadsheet :)
Many equate battery rental to fuel, but for the first 6 years it really only equates to paying the value of the battery after that then, for me, it doesn't make sense and Renault should drop it. I've only ever thought of my monthly payments, even though there are two of them, as paying for the car (I rarely keep beyond 3 and only once 5 years(Hyuandi Getz, best car ever for me)).

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Ampera will fit the bill nicely, and does long trips on petrol v quietly, also efficiently as you can heat the cabin for free while on petrol, then turn off heating while using leccy for a bit. I3 wastes engine heat, and is noiser when on petrol. But only about 25 dealers can service Ampera, so check where you'd get it serviced before committing. My dealer is 45 miles away!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback. I think I will see what is on the market in a few months and either an Ampera or i3 will suit me really well.
I will also keep an eye on here for anyone selling in the New Year. I am down in Woking, Surrey so there are a few Amperas and i3s for sale near me.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,544 Posts
If your going for an i3 REX make sure you get one that doesn't attract to much VED, some people have ended up with annual bills of £440, I think pre March 2017 was the cut off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I think I will see what is on the market in a few months and either an Ampera or i3 will suit me really well.
I will also keep an eye on here for anyone selling in the New Year. I am down in Woking, Surrey so there are a few Amperas and i3s for sale near me.
Hi Jake Conway,
Maybe the Tesla Model 3 next year will be the one? The new cars coming out now are certainly better looking but I have just bought a 30kw Leaf and yes I agree it's not a looker, but driving it is a completely different experience.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Revamped Ioniq should come next year maybe? Sounds like they can't fit a 64 kWh battery in sadly, but if they can do 50 kWh that would be a lovely coupe hatchback with 200+ mile range. That would be tempting!

·
Registered
11,086 Posts
What sort of discount?

You know you can get a battery owned version of the Zoe?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Just borrow last year's Formula E car, job's a goodun.

Seriously, look at a battery-owned Zoe or Leaf. There's a load for sale up in my neck of the woods (Sheffield).

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Seems like most EVs would fit your need. It equates to 100 miles.
Especially if between getting home and going out for 60 miles there is at least an hour to top up.
Or if its 20 miles out and then 60 miles from work thats only 80.
Almost anything other than a Leaf 24.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts