Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really shouldn't click on trashy links but I couldn't help myself this time... :ROFLMAO:

Forget self charging Hybrids, EV's are being assailed by "Blue Gas", which strangely, I've never heard of before...

If you keep up with news regarding technological advances, you have probably heard of the ongoing debate between blue gas vs. Tesla.
Sorry, haven't heard of it. :ROFLMAO:

Blue gas is essentially a liquid hydrocarbon fuel, which is made of basically carbon monoxide and oxygen. What makes this gas stand out is it uses natural gases and creates the fuel by a carbon-neutral process.
A liquid hydrocarbon fuel made from carbon monoxide and oxygen ? Huh? Aren't both of those gases?
Moreover, another interesting aspect of this gas is that instead of polluting exhaust emitted from cars, vehicles using blue gas-only emit water and heat.
Erm, no. The only fuel that can produce only water vapour as the combustion by-product is Hydrogen plus Oxygen. Hydrogen is not in CO or O2 last time I checked....

Combusting CO and O2 produces CO2 - this is one of the processes performed in a catalytic converter in a petrol car to clean up the exhaust. You can't burn CO and end up with only water vapour and heat.

Am I missing something or is this complete and utter garbage click bait to appeal to the Anti-EV brigade?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I really shouldn't click on trashy links but I couldn't help myself this time... :ROFLMAO:

A liquid hydrocarbon fuel made from carbon monoxide and oxygen ? Huh? Aren't both of those gases?
It's not impossible for two gases to combine into a liquid product. Guess what happens when (gaseous) Hydrogen combines with (gaseous) Oxygen ! (Clue : H2O)

Am I missing something or is this complete and utter garbage click bait to appeal to the Anti-EV brigade?
Probably !

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
It's not impossible for two gases to combine into a liquid product. Guess what happens when (gaseous) Hydrogen combines with (gaseous) Oxygen ! (Clue : H2O)

Probably !
Yes in this example the two gases are combined but at an entirely different exergy!

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
You miss my point a little.

CO = gas. O2 = gas. CO2 = gas.... burning CO gas in oxygen creates another gas, CO2. None of these would be liquid unless cryogenically cooled.

Also, you can't make liquid hydrocarbons without....hydrogen? :) So what other products can you make from only CO and O2 that are liquid at room temperature and a combustible useful fuel? (I'm no chemist so I have no idea)

If their plan is to just burn CO to produce CO2 then that's not exactly producing water vapour as the only product is it....

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
275 Posts
It cannot be a hydrocarbon, if the only constituents are "made of basically carbon monoxide and oxygen". there's no Hydrogen in either of those.
Lazy stupid journalism, or lazy stupid company conning lazy, stupid people?

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,530 Posts
Cow gas would be more use, as it does contain Hydrogen.;) What's the max roof rack load of a Leaf?

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
275 Posts
Oh........ it turns out it is lazy, stupid journalism combined with companies conning, lazy stupid people.

Blue gas is Hydrogen gas produced via a "clean" method, using Carbon monoxide and oxygen.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
275 Posts
Sorry for the DM link, but for once, it's actually got a good explanation;

..if you scroll past all the "blue gas" bollocks, theres a green panel with a better explanation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Why Tesla's specifically? Oh I see, it's the standard phrase "Tesla killer".
Can't be bothered to read the article, but they probably ignore that EV's are better anyway. Can you refill with blue gas at home, over night?

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So its essentially methane - as I said, Cow gas!
Sadly, burning methane produces both water vapour and CO2.

Which kind of puts the kibosh on the original claims in the articles that water vapour was was the only by-product. Methane of course also has Hydrogen in it and is the simplest Hydrocarbon.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,530 Posts
Sadly, burning methane produces both water vapour and CO2.

Which kind of puts the kibosh on the original claims in the articles that water vapour was was the only by-product. Methane of course also has Hydrogen in it and is the simplest Hydrocarbon.
No, the idea is to convert the methane into Hydrogen as per the article, for fuel cells.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Is it just me or does the production of carbon monoxide seem very worrying? CO is quite dangerous to our health. Still the DM article does not mention too much where the power to create Blue Hydrogen comes from.

And of course, the diagram shows how Hydrogen is used in a Fuel Cell but doesn't mention the efficiency:

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No, the idea is to convert the methane into Hydrogen as per the article, for fuel cells.
So we've just circled right back around to HFCV using steam reformed natural gas (methane) with carbon capture ? So, nothing new or good since you still have all the inefficiencies and problems of a HFCV.

For the record, that daily mail article has been edited dramatically since I first read it and posted the link. ("UPDATED: 12:28, 19 February 2021") Even the headline is different now!

Also reading both articles again it's actually the spacecoastdaily article that is talking complete twaddle about liquid fuel from CO and the daily mail article is now a lot more accurate. It's not often you'd hear anyone say that. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
So we've just circled right back around to HFCV using steam reformed natural gas (methane) with carbon capture ? So, nothing new or good since you still have all the inefficiencies and problems of a HFCV.

For the record, that daily mail article has been edited dramatically since I first read it and posted the link. ("UPDATED: 12:28, 19 February 2021") Even the headline is different now!

Also reading both articles again it's actually the spacecoastdaily article that is talking complete twaddle about liquid fuel from CO and the daily mail article is now a lot more accurate. It's not often you'd hear anyone say that. :ROFLMAO:
Uk press have some form here. The Sun also like to play this game. I guess it suits their purposes revenue and brand building while not attracting to much censure.
Post atrocious click bait article with dreadful inaccuracies and misleading headline... Once People have read it, and it's gone viral, people start complaining, (though still clicking the click bait.) Then they can update article and replace egregious headlines to be more accurate.

·
Registered
295 Posts
These articles are clickbait. They use "blue gas" and "Tesla killer" rather than "hydrogen vs BEVs" so you think it's something new you haven't heard about. If they didn't put "blue gas" in the headline you wouldn't be as likely to click it. The goal is to put your eyeballs in front of ads. They just wasted all our time and confused us for that purpose. Suggest make a note not to other again with spacecoastdaily and daily mail.

It looks like the idea is to react methane (CH4) or other similar hydrocarbons and water/steam (H2O) to get hydrogen (H2), and the by product is either carbon monoxide (CO) or carbon dioxide (CO2). Using methane is a problem because if it leaks, which it does, you get global warming, and a CO2 by product also causes global warming. Removal and storage of CO2 in a cost effective way is not possible for now, and won't be soon, and might never be. CO is obviously deadly.

Overall it's a bad idea.

Hydrogen cars have already lost, for many reasons. Their market share in 2025 and 2030 will be about 0% or 1%.

Hydrogen is only a problem for Tesla in its long haul truck business, but that's a small part of Tesla's business.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts