Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone heard anything on this? It would make sense, but surely be an expensive process? Otherwise non-Rex i3s etc won't benefit from the great infrastructure the rest of us can.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
Two tweets from @ElecHighway today:

"Redundancy is coming with multi-standard points at most locations"

and

"We're starting this v soon in addition to progress on sorting reliability"

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
100 Posts
On the reliability front of chargers...I've been wanting to visit my 91yo father near dartford to show him the future in cars in my new Leaf. I wanted to do a run over to Thurrock and charge up on the Ikea rapid charger whilst we had a coffee. It's been offline for three weeks now. Do they get repaired and how likely is it that I could get caught out expecting to charge up on the motorway network?

·
Banned
558 Posts
On the reliability front of chargers...
Those of us who have been EV'ing for while chuckle at this! Newbies worry about Rapids being online - on the day! Only one year ago we would have been happy to find any charger, anywhere! We would ever drive 30 miles, off route, to snatch a blast on a Rapid and when it wasn't available (like Retford, Notts) you were up the proverbial 'creek', without the proverbial 'paddle'!
Of course that doesn't really answer your question; however, its maybe (in reality) the best answer you will get!
The evolution of the Rapid Charger Network has been fraught with problems - some technical some organisational. For sure you will never get any information on availability date, or repair date!
You just have to make the best of what's available, on the day! It can only get better!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks Brian. The growing charging network was part of my decision making process. I hear your cynical mirth and will revise down my expectations!
It does feel a bit like the industry is shooting itself in the foot whilst still in the starting blocks.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Brian is right just make sure you check the electric highway website then hope for the best. You can always ask ecotricity and they will help you plan a route they have help me before.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Thanks Brian. The growing charging network was part of my decision making process. I hear your cynical mirth and will revise down my expectations!
It does feel a bit like the industry is shooting itself in the foot whilst still in the starting blocks.
Mirth - yes. Cynacisn - No! My point is more about pragmatism.
Most journeys are still feasible with Rapid outages. But you have to be flexible and 'snack' on fast chargers, if necessary.
It is a bit of a crisis, as Matt records above - but we have to trust that Ecotricity/DBT are just as panic stricken, as we are!

·
Banned
558 Posts
Point well made Kevin / Grant. These 'single-thread' routes most certainly deserve priority in repair and in the creation of redundancy. Bristol to Cardiff (44 miles) looks feasible and that may cover the bulk of journeys. Going W of Cardiff has risks, even with the charges reported serviceable.
Its another case of Domani! Domani!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Worth knowing that there is an independent rapid charger at Baglan near Swansea at least in working hours. It is free to use, also type 2 sockets available as redundancy. And the rapid is a triple headed one with ccs. The site is a University solar research site I believe. This info from "Prof Dave" on another forum.

Will be interesting to see how many independent rapids emerge like this and the taxi firm in Cornwall. Can both add redundancy and possible rural routes to ev drivers.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
It isn't just west of Bristol either. I had to cancel a trip to London yesterday because Leigh Delemare, Membury and Heston were all out.

I notice some are back today... which is great but a day too late for me to attend the What Car? readers preview of the BMW i8. :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts