Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m seeing more and more Electric Highway installations being “upgraded” by Gridserve, which usually results in less CHAdeMo connectors becoming available and often reduced to one, which shares a charger with a CSS connection but is (for now at least) incapable of serving both connectors simultaneously.

As a Leaf owner this makes it very likely that I’m going to find myself waiting for a CCS car to complete its charge on the shared charger while the other one sits there doing nothing. I realise that AC and CCS users have been faced with the same situation for a long time (with the added bonus of unreliable CCS connectors) but I question the claim that something which is clearly going to make the service worse for a significant number of users can be described as an improvement or an upgrade…

·
Registered
644 Posts
It’s difficult to know how things will change - I had 3 Gridserve sessions yesterday, the first saw me arrive to both chargers being free, so I could use the dual CCS, but soon after an ID3 arrived so took the other other charger. By the time we both finished and we’re ready to leave there had been no other EV drivers arrive. The second session saw me arrive to an i3 already charging on dual CCS unit, so I had to take the other charger. It was only as the i3 was almost ready to leave that another EV arrived, so had a short wait (and another ID3 driver) so Instyaed out and let them take the dual CCS. If it had been a Chad driver I would have happily stopped and moved to the dual CCS to give them access to the Chad unit. At my last stop I was the onlly vehicle charging and did not see any more EV drivers before I left.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Dual charging will be coming soon. In fact some of their chargers already have it. There's more cars that use CCS than CHAdeMO so once this feature is available across the board then things should be okay for people like yourself in the LEAF.

I personally leave the blame with Nissan and the few others that have stuck with that connector for so long, rather than the charge networks. In 2021 there shouldn't really be brand new cars for sale that use CHAdeMO when CCS is widely accepted as the new standard and almost every other manufacturer has now seen sense.

·
Registered
2021 BMW iX3 Premier Pro / Nissan Leaf 2021 e+tekna (ordered)
391 Posts
Yeah, I feel for people with CHAdeMO, but let's be honest no new cars should be using it, Europe has 'aligned' on CCS for dc rapid, so should really be used.

Reactions: pilotwoo

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, quite, and presenting that as an upgrade or an improvement is disingenuous. Clearly reliability of CCS had to be improved and the number of sockets increased but reducing the number of sockets available to other users is not the way forward.

Previously we had a solution which was just about fit for purpose for one set of users and hopelessly inadequate for another. Replacing it with something which is somewhat better but still stretched thin for one class of users and likely to be inadequate for the other does not seem like progress, and, since I for one am going to be kicking up a fuss every time I’m left waiting, isn’t going to make the infrastructure look any better to non EV drivers…

·
Registered
391 Posts
Can't really expect the networks to invest heavily in a technology they know is 'dead' though, I agree that both should be covered, and not crippled if a CCS is on the charger at the same time, but CHAdeMO is end of life now.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,395 Posts
Previously 40% of MSAs didn't even have CCS at all while Chademo had 100% coverage. It's just reversal of fortune now that CCS cars are the majority.
And the post that had Chademo also had AC which meant the Zoe owners were shit out of luck if a Leaf turned up first.

CCS is the future, its been said for long enough. Chademo equipped owners sat back and laughed when AC wasn't mass adopted and then the same went for CCS and the other issues CCS owners had. That's all gone full circle and CCS is the leader.

Sucks to be a Chademo owner now, I was an AC owner so I've absolutely every sympathy and no sympathy at the same time. There was no support, not banding together of owners to support each other, just a tough luck you should have bought a "real" EV with chademo etc.

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
646 Posts
We are supposedly trying to wean ourselves off the throwaway society by promoting re-use and repair ability and extending product life.
The present loss of AC chargers at MSAs is very bad news for Zoe, but Gridserve have included Chademo at their new chargers. The proposed AC is a pipe dream only so far, or a piece of conduit……
AC and Chademo need to be available at MSAs so the existing BEVs can continue to be used on long journeys. It would give the anti EV brigade a great story if the chargers for Zoes and Leafs were to disappear.
We need more chargers, not less.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,006 Posts
Sucks to be a Chademo owner now, I was an AC owner so I've absolutely every sympathy and no sympathy at the same time. There was no support, not banding together of owners to support each other, just a tough luck you should have bought a "real" EV with chademo etc.
Not at all, the only CCs only chargers I know of locally, are Ionity's 69p 350kw chargers. Never encountered a CCS only charger in Scotland, especially on the CPS network as Trans Scot wouldn't allow it.
Brand new BP Pulse chargers on the M8 have both, but no AC.

I am totally unconcerned by the anti chademo brigade's predictions: chademo is here to stay for many years yet.

Reactions: JeffG

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,920 Posts
I am totally unconcerned by the anti chademo brigade's predictions: chademo is here to stay for many years yet.
People just pointing out how it is isn’t being ‘anti ChaDeMo’, and as there are networks still installing both CCS and ChaDeMo connectors I’d say that overall the number of ChaDeMo connectors is increasing, not decreasing.

On that basis, a few local issues aside I don’t see a problem for Leaf owners for the useful life of the vehicles.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,855 Posts
Sunday's journey we stopped at Tamworth. Single charger site. I waited for a M3 to finish charging then an ipace turned up - he opted to continue on to Donnington. By the time I was done there was an i3, e208 and Leaf all in the queue. At that site the Leaf driver has an advantage, once duel charging is available, as they can jump on while the i3 charges.

Gridserve have a complex challenge. The old chargers are junk and needed to be replaced. We need more chargers at each location but space and grid supply constraints mean this can't happen, at least straight away. Personally I'm beginning to suspect their choice of ABB is a bad one. They work but the firmware seems flaky. The UI isn't great and the dual charging is still not available - which is on ABB to provide the firmware afaik. We don't really know what their long term game plan is, other than to hopefully run a reliable network. Maybe they're going to install more hubs at MSAs and the existing roll out is an interim solution. We'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Tamworth is just up the road, but as a sorta local never been to the services! Don't think the asda (extra) has any either, but of a dead zone around this way to be honest.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,135 Posts
Maybe they're going to install more hubs at MSAs and the existing roll out is an interim solution. We'll have to wait and see.
That is "phase 2" of their masterplan.

They've already promised 6-12 charger hubs for Reading, Thurrock, Exeter & Cornwall services by Xmas (Maybe January now, the way the current rapid replacements have slowed down).

·
Registered
495 Posts
I really hope that the dual charging software update is deployed soon and works properly. It is beginning to look a bit embarrassing for Gridserve to have said in June they thought it would be there in 1-2 months yet here we are 3 months later and no sign of it.

But, to be fair, they never set a firm date and I'm not sure how many competing rapid chargers support dual charging at the moment.

They all should though. Even the latest EVs can't max out the newer high power chargers for long, so the whole public charging network is wasting capacity as it stands. Massively inefficient.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I wonder what gridserve are going to do with those old chargers, they were mostly unreliable as CCS chargers, chademo worked sweet as a nut.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts