Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my big concerns about the ID.4 is the lack of a heat pump.

Will the ID.4 Resistive Heaterl keep us cool in the US summers?

It can get to 100F here, and always gets into the 90s each summer (Western Oregon).

Thanks.

Mac

·
Registered
26 Posts
A heat pump in the US is what we have sitting outside of our homes. It heats AND cools.
So, maybe there is a terminology issue here?
Heat pumps and AC are effectively the opposites of each other in terms of function, but the technology is the same. I guess the implementation of that technology in the car isn't like in your home.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,583 Posts
Heat pumps and AC are effectively the opposites of each other in terms of function, but the technology is the same. I guess the implementation of that technology in the car isn't like in your home.
Not just the same tech, it can be the same machine.

An AC unit is a heat pump, the question is whether it is reversible.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,583 Posts
A heat pump in the US is what we have sitting outside of our homes. It heats AND cools.
Not all AC units can heat. It depends on the design.

But all AC units are heat pumps - I.e. they move heat from one place to another.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
276 Posts
Assuming the US isn't that different, then when it comes to common auto terminology, A/C cools (& the ID.4 has it), a heat pump heats AND cools, so does both jobs. It's just engineered to move heat in both directions, while A/C isn't very good at heating.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Talk to Donald! Cars are best with both a heating heat pump and a cooling heat pump. In winter a cooling heat pump (AC) will dehumidifying the air and keep the screen clear, followed by a heating heat pump which will warm the air and heat the passenger space.

In a home, you will not need both and the units are designed to do either heating in winter or cooling in summer.

So in the ID4 it appears you have a traditional AC cooling heat pump and a resistive heater.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Air Conditioning (AC) isn't just about cooling it also removes moisture, which being in Florida for a chunk of the year I know is important! In a car you often need both AC AND heat to remove moisture and warm cabin, which an ICE can easily do with waste heat. The solution in an EV is to use a PTC electric heater AND an AC system. In cold climates the PTC can make a significant dent to range, so a heat pump is often offered in addition to the standard AC system.

·
Registered
38 Posts
A heatpump is not offered in addition to the standard AC system, it replaces the standard AC system (namely the compressor etc.)
The difference between a AC system and a heat pump is simply that a heat pump can run "in both directions/in reverse". This requires a set of valves and changes to the coils on either end. Also on the ID.3 the heat pump system uses CO2 as the refrigerant, a climate-friendly albeit very expensive system, as it needs to handle higher pressures.
It's all about terminology and interpretation but generally we refer to AC when it's unidirectional and a heat pump when it's bidirectional.
The PTC heating system has nothing to do with all of this and is simply there in addition.

In short: Don't worry, the ID.4 will be able to keep you cool just like any other car. In winter, when it needs to heat it will be slightly less efficient than a ID.3 with a heat pump though.

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
375 Posts
One of my big concerns about the ID.4 is the lack of a heat pump.

Will the ID.4 Resistive Heaterl keep us cool in the US summers?

It can get to 100F here, and always gets into the 90s each summer (Western Oregon).

Thanks.

Mac
Like what everyone said above about the technology!!! you dont need to worry you can have air con for the car.
What you really want to know is why is a heat pump an option!

If you live in sunny california and the temp is never below 0C (32F), then you dont need to worry.
If you live in a country where it gets cold, the heat pump is used for greater efficiency.

The energy required to generate 1 unit of heat using resistive heater is several times greater than using a heat pump... So to increase range from the battery when travelling in cold weather you can use a heat pump.

BUT because a heat pump is expensive and not required for everyone, they dont make it standard... you only need to chose it if you drive a lot in the cold, and need the longer range from the battery in the cold.

Ive got one driving in the south of UK, but I probably dont need it. If I lived in spain I wouldnt bother.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts