Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Leaf lover
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst there is quiet but growing voice that the Coronavirus lockdown was a mistaken instruction, the level of fear generated by that move is looking to gridlock the unlocking of the lockdown.
So this slow start to unlock could last far longer than any of us ever have imagined.
Will it take an admission by Boris that we should never have gone into the lockdown in the first place to make people come to their senses and avoid an economic meltdown?

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Whilst personally I agree with your presumption, I think that we are in a minority at present. The majority of the public either believe that the lockdown is the correct thing (regardless of the lack of credible exit plan other than a vaccine that may never come) or are just plain frightened and relying on the generosity of the state to look after them. Currently there is the diversion from the way out discussion of the argument for having locked down earlier and wanting right wing heads to roll.
In simple form, there's no single form of words that will end this. :rolleyes:

·
Leaf lover
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hindsight is very valuable
With me it is not hindsight. It felt like madness but I accepted it believing in idea it was to prepare our health service for the worst and once ready the lockdown would be lifted. Something like 3 weeks.
Then the media went into overdrive and I realised it is madness.
Can you provide a source for this claim?
I find that once I open up to being a sceptic to my fellow dog walkers, a high proportion of them feel free to share those same views. We are all getting on by the way.
One professor (not one of my dog walker friends) claims this lockdown is a middle class luxury.
No one could accuse me of being middle class (fortunately or unfortunately, I'm not sure which) but seeing as ev ownership has been called a middle class luxury perhaps that is why I often find myself at odds with others on speakev.
Anyway stuff is out there on youtube, just a case of being prepared to doubt and hear what has been/is being, said.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
I find that once I open up to being a sceptic to my fellow dog walkers, a high proportion of them feel free to share those same views. We are all getting on by the way.
One professor (not one of my dog walker friends) claims this lockdown is a middle class luxury.
No one could accuse me of being middle class (fortunately or unfortunately, I'm not sure which) but seeing as ev ownership has been called a middle class luxury perhaps that is why I often find myself at odds with others on speakev.
Anyway stuff is out there on youtube, just a case of being prepared to doubt and hear what has been/is being, said.
So no, you either can't or won't provide a source for your claim. Your own scepticism wasn't in question, it's your claim that "there is quiet but growing voice that the Coronavirus lockdown was a mistaken instruction" that I was asking about.

·
Leaf lover
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, the mistake was not acting sooner or tougher.

An easy one to call in hindsight. ;)
No. In hindsight we will see that we should have foreseen the consequences to the health and wellbeing of the vast majority who would not be severely affected by catching virus.
A simple way to look at it is this, how many of the those who have died to date from the virus would still be alive by the end of this year or maybe even by today had the virus not come their way? Compare that to how long young people will struggle to get their lives back in order.
As one dog walker remarked ( not someone who seem to agree with me) "so we are expendable?"
Basically, "yes"

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Whilst there is quiet but growing voice that the Coronavirus lockdown was a mistaken instruction, the level of fear generated by that move is looking to gridlock the unlocking of the lockdown.
So this slow start to unlock could last far longer than any of us ever have imagined.
Will it take an admission by Boris that we should never have gone into the lockdown in the first place to make people come to their senses and avoid an economic meltdown?
Richard, you take a persistent and duplicated stand that NO CORONA LOCKDOWN should have been the stance by UK government.

Curious to know if this is an informed opinion based in medical or scientific training or career, as an economist or some other background.

Thanks

·
Leaf lover
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So no, you either can't or won't provide a source for your claim. Your own scepticism wasn't in question, it's your claim that "there is quiet but growing voice that the Coronavirus lockdown was a mistaken instruction" that I was asking about.
As I said, stuff is out there. And if @cah197 can avoid bothering to give sources why not I.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
The lockdown was right at that time.
Some countries had seen their ICUs over whelmed. We needed to prevent that. Which we did by some margin.
ICU demand never passed 60% of capacity.
We now know so much more, I believe that lockdown should be lifted and should have eased to a greater degree by now.
I have known people who have died of it, not any close but friends parents. So I'm not some heartless unaffected individual. I have family who are vulnerable and shielding.

But perspective is needed.
This is going to severely affect a whole generation of kids. Teen mental health was on the floor anyway this will impact on the social and mental health for the rest of their lives.
The country needs to move on.

Some figures.
The amount of children up to school leaving age in the UK is approximately 10 million.
How many deaths from that group that had Covid 19 as the cause?
2. Two tragic deaths but 1 in 5 million. More children would have died on the school commute during lockdown. I have no numbers but suspect teen suicides have increased by a greater factor.

But that's kids, they are OK, they don't get it as bad.

OK, the mortality rate in the population per capita is in the region is 0.05%. I did exact numbers a week or two back for the major countries and they were very similar rates.
I recalculated my area with up to date figures last night. Gives a mortality rate per capita of 0.06%.
In plain numbers that is 6 people in every 10,000.

Is it a price worth paying? I would say no.

·
Leaf lover
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I confess I am not too concerned with facts and figures and arguing about graphs etc. I leave that to others.
What bothers me is how I feel about how we have been asked to act. Is it natural behaviour? yes to some. But not for the majority. We have been told how to behave and that together with the media reaction has raised a level of fear such that most, regardless of sound judgement, are going along with.
The message from the government has got to change to remove that fear and that means accepting how the level of fear has been generated, not by the virus itself but by an over reaction to their message so far.
Because the truth is, for the vast majority, personal experience of the virus other than how the lockdown is directly affecting them, has been a nonentity.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts