Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Which way will the Leaf 40 pricing go over the next 12 months?

• The price will increase

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • The price will decrease

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • The price will pretty much stay at the current level

Votes: 27 38.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The news of the last day of the Dutch government telling EU countries to avoid UK car manufacturing parts has got me thinking about the current and future Leaf 40 pricing. I am thinking as the UK gets further into the Brexit process it may actually drive the Leaf 40 price upwards?

What do others think?

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I think the production facilities at Sunderland will close in the long term and all production will move to Europe. They export around 80% of the production there into Europe using lots of parts already made there and imported/exported several times in the production process. Nissan has a Just-In-Time manufacturing philosophy than means components for the production are not stored on site but delivered to the production line when needed by suppliers.

The skill is not solely held in Sunderland to do this, it could easily be shifted elsewhere.

We get what we voted for.
What was it that made them build the plant in Sunderland in the first place? Why not Scotland or Ireland?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Price in next 12 months depends on supply & demand. Unsure if they plan to make more, unsure how many people will commit £30k or £350pm for a 40 kWh ~160miler if the 60 kWh ~240 miler is coming.

There will be many Leaf24 3yr & Leaf30 2yr PCPs ending in Q1 2019.. They're at the £200 - £250 pm PCP level. How many of those will have "equity" in the £15K balloon payment to carry over to cover deposit? How many can be upsold from £200+ pm, to £350+ pm?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Price in next 12 months depends on supply & demand. Unsure if they plan to make more, unsure how many people will commit £30k or £350pm for a 40 kWh ~160miler if the 60 kWh ~240 miler is coming.

There will be many Leaf24 3yr & Leaf30 2yr PCPs ending in Q1 2019.. They're at the £200 - £250 pm PCP level. How many of those will have "equity" in the £15K balloon payment to carry over to cover deposit? How many can be upsold from £200+ pm, to £350+ pm?
Exactly my position with 2 Leafs in our family, an extra £300 (and that’s generous) a month is beyond us...watch this space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Long term, the unrealistically cheap PCP’s offered by Nissan up to the launch of the new Leaf are not going to help BEV’s. Lots of people took them out on their Leaf24 & Leaf30 as it was a similar cost to their existing fuel costs and they got a ‘free’ new car in the process.

Nice though it was, the costs were unsustainable in my opinion.

As stated before, I had a PCP for a Yeti in 2010, where I put a deposit down of £6000, paid £340 per month and the GFV was £9,000 for 15,000 miles a year over 3 years. The value of the car was similar. Top of the range with all options selected.

The current Leaf deals are similar so are in the correct ball park now.

I very much doubt the prices will fall. I expect the Leaf 60 to be a good extra premium to get the extra 33% of actively cooled battery and more powerful motor. The rumoured extra £5k seems in the right order to me.

The base spec Model 3 when it eventually arrives will be around £35,000 at a guess. To get the extras standard on a Tekna, will add lots. Potentially £5-10,000. So Nissan will not need to drop the prices of anything. It will still be much cheaper.

If the base spec Leaf 40 is about £23k, then £28k for a Visia Leaf 60 sounds about right after any incentives, if they are still available!

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the production facilities at Sunderland will close in the long term and all production will move to Europe.

The skill is not solely held in Sunderland to do this, it could easily be shifted elsewhere.

Not every voted for that, and so not every country is planning to leave Europe, and that is precisely why it is highly plausible Nissan will move their plant to Scotland.

What was it that made them build the plant in Sunderland in the first place? Why not Scotland or Ireland?
You can see Scotland hosting the Nissan plant in the future can't you? Ireland less so because the political situation is more complicated there and also it is not mainland. Scotland offers a practical and cost effective opportunity, Edinburgh is not radically geographically different to Sunderland in the context of the UK. This is the kind of opportunity the Scottish First Minister (Sturgeon) likes and seizes upon. So as Brexit is being finalised and Scotland's EU re entry in process, talks with Nissan and Sturgeon should not surprise anyone.

I very much doubt the prices will fall. I expect the Leaf 60 to be a good extra premium to get the extra 33% of actively cooled battery and more powerful motor. The rumoured extra £5k seems in the right order to me.

The base spec Model 3 when it eventually arrives will be around £35,000 at a guess. To get the extras standard on a Tekna, will add lots. Potentially £5-10,000. So Nissan will not need to drop the prices of anything. It will still be much cheaper.

If the base spec Leaf 40 is about £23k, then £28k for a Visia Leaf 60 sounds about right after any incentives, if they are still available!
Agreeing with this. I am still concerned about the Leaf 40 price might increase further though. The current poll results are interesting, there is so much varying opinion. A price decrease being the least popular expectation is perhaps telling.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
You can see Scotland hosting the Nissan plant in the future can't you? Ireland less so because the political situation is more complicated there and also it is not mainland.
It would make lots of sense. Cheaper land and housing for workers is more affordable. Cheap renewable energy, what's not to like?

·
Registered
233 Posts
The Leaf is a car of similar size and quality of a Ford Focus.

To compete long term in the marketplace then it needs to be priced similarly. The gap in PCP prices between the Leaf and other similar sized cars of similar quality is huge and represents poor value for money, most people will buy ICE cars instead.

If Nissan’s aim is just to make enough cars to attract niche ev enthusiasts, and ev curious people then perhaps they are succeeding, but I doubt it is sustainable long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
577 Posts
Suppliers to car manufacturers are locked into contracts which reduce the price every yr and also manufacturers have an underlying efficiency improvement of say 2-3% per yr. Therefore there is no need to increase prices to increase profitability as the initial set up costs have gone. The only reason to increase prices is if the general market price increases or to keep up with inflation. It is in the interest of car manufacturers to extend the life of a car design as long as possible and this usually requires bundling in some of the extras (which cost peanuts to produce). In real terms ex inflation,the price will come down

·
Banned
3,248 Posts
I wonder if they will even keep making the 40 in it's current form.

The Leaf 65 will need to be a new platform to stay competitive. Active thermal management, modern instruments/dash, and probably a new shape to improve aerodynamics, and ideally a more efficient drive train too. They won't want to build an old and new model side-by-side, so either the 40 gets refreshed at the same time or it gets dropped.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
I think the production facilities at Sunderland will close in the long term and all production will move to Europe. They export around 80% of the production there into Europe using lots of parts already made there and imported/exported several times in the production process. Nissan has a Just-In-Time manufacturing philosophy than means components for the production are not stored on site but delivered to the production line when needed by suppliers.

Nissan have EV van production facilities in Spain, however Sunderland is the most productive plant with the best workforce globally for Nissan. It is no simple call as to what might happen. If Nissan open a second European production line somewhere in Europe and meet the European demand then the price of the car might fall a little as a result of economy of scale.

I suspect the 60 kWh is going to be the same car as the 40 kWh just with a bigger capacity battery and motor in about the same volume plus a TMS. The battery pack might extend slightly more to the rear to have enough space. Instead of firmware upgrades for existing models it will be next model for Pro-Pilot 2 with a juicy price tag. I hope there will be 60 kWh in both tech-toys lite and tech-toys heavy versions with price tags that widen the affordability and increase sales. Only a 60 kWh fully loaded version available would I think be to hand success to Musk on a plate.

Nissan need to cover three options one) the 60 kWh takes over from the 40 kWh and kills the smaller range car or two) the 60 kWh does not sell well because it is too expensive or three) both sell really well at their respective price points. That is why I think they will share the same body in order to hedge the risk of future sales patterns. All about getting back to having better margins on the more expensive cars like ICEs do. The Tesla M3 is shaping up well to achieve this working top model down . Nissan have some catching up to do to achieve a wider price point range.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
The Nissmo photo realeased a while back looks remarkably like the current Leaf.....

·
Banned
3,248 Posts
I think the new Leaf will look a lot like the current. All that work for just one year?

I also think they prepared the current Leaf to minimise design needed for the new battery.
It's going to need active temperature management, a faster charger, and a modern interior. That's the minimum, but a more efficient body shape would massively increase range, especially at motorway speeds.

The current body is one of the least efficient among EVs.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts