Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
856 Posts
We’ve just been through something similar. Our Zappi installer was really helpful in explaining everything that needed to be done before it was fitted and contacted the DNO (National Power Networks) who were also extremely helpful.

The first thing was to switch to Octopus, then request the smart meter. That was fitted very quickly (and resulted in a lot of the meter stuff being upgraded), including the tails. Next National Power Networks came and installed the 100A fuse. Finally the Zappi was installed. It was all incredibly smooth and simple in practice.

Based on my experience, getting a really helpful charge point installer to take on the job was worth a few quid over the cheapest and removed a lot of potential stress for someone like me who doesn’t really know what they’re doing.

Sadly I’m still waiting for the car, which has been delayed a mo

·
Registered
194 Posts
I will be going to a local OLEV approved installer to have a look, but this is our current cut-out. The house is a Victorian villa split into an upstairs and downstairs flat.

Our meter tails are the grey ones, but does it look like the DNO fuse for upstairs supply is on a separate phase but is in our property? How would that work if we were on holiday and it blew? The black wire disappears into the wall.

And also is that a fuse on the Neural - which from the document linked above is a big no-no.

20210419_185123.jpg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Blimey, that looks older than my set up!
I had a call today, having sent my pics to my DNO they don’t think that I’ll get 100amps on the current set up.
They are going to send someone around who will advise but they said that for about £500 they can modernise the whole lot and get the meter outside.
That sounds like very good value to me so we shall see what the home visit results in!

·
Registered
618 Posts
I will be going to a local OLEV approved installer to have a look, but this is our current cut-out. The house is a Victorian villa split into an upstairs and downstairs flat.

Our meter tails are the grey ones, but does it look like the DNO fuse for upstairs supply is on a separate phase but is in our property? How would that work if we were on holiday and it blew? The black wire disappears into the wall.

And also is that a fuse on the Neural - which from the document linked above is a big no-no.

View attachment 143783
Installed by Fred Flintstone........Barney held the tool bag!

·
Registered
441 Posts
I had a call today, having sent my pics to my DNO they don’t think that I’ll get 100amps on the current set up.
They are going to send someone around who will advise but they said that for about £500 they can modernise the whole lot and get the meter outside.
That sounds like very good value to me so we shall see what the home visit results in!
For £500 I would take their arm off. That seems stupidly cheap for a point forward move and uprating your supply. Having the box outside makes installing the charger far easier as well !

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
For £500 I would take their arm off. That seems stupidly cheap for a point forward move and uprating your supply. Having the box outside makes installing the charger far easier as well !
I'm sure that it will be more than £500 once they have surveyed! I'm 99.9% certain that I'm going to get the work done though as long as the cost isn't ridiculous!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,867 Posts
You may be able to push the cost down further than that as it is the DNO's responsibility to provide an adequate supply for an EV charge point, so if they move your supply to an external box that part should be free and the only cost to you is for the installation of new tails from the meter to your existing consumer units. From your description of the distance £500 seems a lot for that.

Reactions: GandT

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,867 Posts
How would that work if we were on holiday and it blew?
The DNO can force access if they believe that it is a safety issue, but it is VERY rare for them to do so. More likely your neighbours will be without power for a long time. Out of interest, who owns the Freehold and do they have a right of access to your property under the terms of the lease?

·
The best there is at what I do
10,394 Posts

View attachment 143783
I dont think that is 3 phase, the incoming cable isnt thick enough, it's more likely an old version of a Henley block.

·
Registered
441 Posts
At my last house I was quoted £2000 to move the meter outside. Total distance about 6m of cable. It was pretty straight forward. Straight run through a sub floor void with good access.

Which is why £500 sounds like a bargain to me. That was 10 years ago as well.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Out of interest, who owns the Freehold and do they have a right of access to your property under the terms of the lease?
In Scotland generally there is no freeholder, effectively each flat owner owns a share of the building. According to the deeds we each own half of the common electricity cables so suppose they could have a right to access their share of the cables, and would also be responsible for half the cost of any maintenance.
Unusually the original house was given a Million year lease which is still in effect, this should be converted to be owned by the tenant(s). Ultra-long leases convert to ownership - Scottish Legal News

21 - 31 of 31 Posts