Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rumour has it that the Treasury has lost patience with the fiddling of CO2 emissions figures for PHEVs and following BREXIT are going to remove the ultralow charge surrounding them and limit it only to BEVs.
Being cynical you might say this is because they need every penny of income post BREXIT and with the approach of COVID19.
From my perspective it is the right idea but the wrong method. They need to more accurately reflect the need to cut overall emissions and more accurately account for energy usage. The current rules unfairly support such energy inefficient vehicles as Range Rover Sport Hybrids and Audi E-tron, but the question is how to support say a Golf GTE and ID3 instead? Is it just a matter of a price limit?
For the record I drive a non-company owned LEAF24 so have no direct interest.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Well, the way things are going is all perks I've seen for EVs are dying off quickly. Yet on the news, they talk about incentives to encourage people to make the switch!?

IMHO petrol/diesel needs to hiked significantly to discourage inefficient SUVs & driving style, combine journeys culminating to smaller more fuel-efficient vehicles as we approach the cutoff date for new fossil cars.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Rumour has it that the Treasury has lost patience with the fiddling of CO2 emissions figures for PHEVs and following BREXIT are going to remove the ultralow charge surrounding them and limit it only to BEVs.
A PHEV is an ICE vehicle carrying a small battery around and a charger. Waste of time and the worst of both worlds (just my opinion of course), and possibly Bob Llewellyn's. They can't rapid charge but block charging points.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I think PHEV's should have some incentive, but not the same as it is now.

They just need to whack on a big tax to new cars sold that are over the limit of 95g CO2/km, maybe £3,500 and then for cars over 130g CO2/km £7,000, then use that money to fund the equivalent reduction in price of a BEV, but not at the point of sale where it just gets built into the price

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you read this artical - Plug-in hybrid cars emit three times more CO2 in ‘real world’ driving one of the problems is the perverted tax treatment or company cars - reduced BIK on ownership but encouraged to run on petrol.

"Company car drivers may be incentivised to fill up with petrol - using company credit cards - rather than charge cars at home and pay the fuel bills themselves. "

So they never get plugged in, until they get sold on to private owners who will use them properly.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I'm afraid @Blanik is right, A lot of Ampera's sold into the london area never saw a charger, just bought for BIK and Congestion charge exemption. Only when the 2nd user got them did the cars get plugged in and used as intended.

There is no simple solution, if the engine is there, there is some form of BIK and the user has a company fuel card then it doesn't matter how big the battery is it will not be used. They will just be used to game the tax system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts