Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the summer of 2021, we have a holiday planned in Cornwall and I expect to have an EV by then with a range not sufficient to make the journey in one leg.
This means that I will have to plan a stop somewhere on the M5 in Devon or Somerset.
Once at my destination, I have no concerns as I can charge each night on the 13A Granny charger

My concern is that the take-off in EV adoption over the next year will not be matched by the the growth in the rapid charger network capabilities and we will see queues building up at the MSAs and other rapid charging sites on the M5, A30 etc..

I am aware of such issues occurring in the US at popular holiday times.

Given that Ecotricity EH is somewhat constrained by lack of capital for investment whilst they currently appear to have a monopoly at the MSAs, I can see this becoming a big story next summer, especially if we are still living with C19 and more of us are taking UK based holidays.

It may also be that the electricity distribution networks around the west country routes, will have a limit to how much power they can deliver to these site during peak hours.

It will only take some data network crash or issue with the chargers at just one MSA to cause a major issue with stranded vehicles.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,510 Posts
It might be worth it if you investigate alternative rapids away from the motorways along with several alternatives and make sure you have the cards/apps to cover these. Try a check on WattsUp or Zap map for the areas you are travelling through.

·
Registered
469 Posts
You shouldnt have too much issue driving down the M5. Although as we speak the Ecotricity at Taunton services (north and southbound) have been broken for many weeks.

Look at Sedgemore services as a possible stop, I think they have two chargers. Bridgwater is often available as the servcies are 5 mins off the motorway. Then 1 min off the motorway at Tiverton by the Travelodge/Burger King (Ive never had to wait here for a charge).

Avoid Collumpton Services. Wafer thin parking spaces and when Ive tried to charge the charger has been iced.

You have the fall back of the Instavolts at Tiverton Leisure Centre and Collumpton Leisure Centre.

Exeter way there are the main services and of course Ikea - 3 or 4 mins off the motorway and handy for a lunch/meal.

Youll also find a number of Rapids not far off the main drag - for example in Paignton

Just check Zap map before you set off for up todate availability.

·
Registered
Ioniq
685 Posts
Of course the Ionity Collumpton chargers are now up and running. :)
Curiously I can see them on the zap-map app on my phone but they don't appear on the website. I assumed with caching issues it would be the other way round, if anything!

The Cullompton ecotricity charger - all one of it - doesn't have CCS, which is distinctly unhelpful.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,439 Posts
I would say it is a risk - lots more BEVs ( and PHEVs ), unless there is a big up tick in the " 4+ Bay Setups " then really you need a plan B , C and D.
And, the granny brick -- good as a total backup but really you might have throttle it to 6-8amps and therefore overnight you're not going to get a total to 100% uplift --- unless you were at 70% at bedtime and were happy to leave it chugging overnight. I would treat the Granny idea as a safety net to put enough in to get you to a rapid somewhere during the day.

Really we need an explosion of FastNeds, StroudPark-Banburys, MiltonKeynesCoachway, FalkirkHubs --- then you can be fairly confident there will be a working + available-to-drive-right-in-to bay.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,104 Posts
Curiously I can see them on the zap-map app on my phone but they don't appear on the website. I assumed with caching issues it would be the other way round, if anything!
I believe the website only updates once a week. The app updates more regularly (and you can force it at any time by clearing your app cache)

I've noticed this a lot with newly listed locations. The website is always about a week behind before it shows.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And, the granny brick -- good as a total backup but really you might have throttle it to 6-8amps and therefore overnight you're not going to get a total to 100% uplift --- unless you were at 70% at bedtime and were happy to leave it chugging overnight. I would treat the Granny idea as a safety net to put enough in to get you to a rapid somewhere during the day.

[/QUOTE
Our accommodation should have enough capacity to add enough miles per night any driving planned for each following day, so that really isn't a concern. It is the journey there and back that needs 30-45 mins of rapid charging mid-ay without having to queue to the one working EH rapid pump that is working.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
In the summer of 2021, we have a holiday planned in Cornwall and I expect to have an EV by then with a range not sufficient to make the journey in one leg.
This means that I will have to plan a stop somewhere on the M5 in Devon or Somerset.
Once at my destination, I have no concerns as I can charge each night on the 13A Granny charger

My concern is that the take-off in EV adoption over the next year will not be matched by the the growth in the rapid charger network capabilities and we will see queues building up at the MSAs and other rapid charging sites on the M5, A30 etc..

I am aware of such issues occurring in the US at popular holiday times.

Given that Ecotricity EH is somewhat constrained by lack of capital for investment whilst they currently appear to have a monopoly at the MSAs, I can see this becoming a big story next summer, especially if we are still living with C19 and more of us are taking UK based holidays.

It may also be that the electricity distribution networks around the west country routes, will have a limit to how much power they can deliver to these site during peak hours.

It will only take some data network crash or issue with the chargers at just one MSA to cause a major issue with stranded vehicles.
We are all doomed🤪

·
Registered
47 Posts
If it’s an Ecotricity services, absolutely not. I stopped in today at Membury and Chievely on the way back from Wales on M4. CCS at both sites was in use. Luckily the occupant at Chievely was just finishing up.

Only hope is with IONITY or Instavolt hubs.

·
Registered
986 Posts
BP Chargemaster and Shell are adding fast chargers to their networks all the time. Ionity are also growing. Most of the EVs being bought are Teslas and they will be using their Own network. So you will be fine.

·
Registered
721 Posts
With the aid of Zap Map and not planning to use Ecotricity i do not believe you will have a problem.
It would be very difficult to get stranded or queing at Exeter the city due to the no. of rapids.
This i feel is becoming less of a problem due to the increased range of the latest EV offerings.
However i would be concerned if i had a Zoe with AC charging only.

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,696 Posts
I would still get your BEV if you are really keen to join the EV world. Then in the event of networks not having expanded enough by then why not think of option of a rental for the week or two?

·
Registered
425 Posts
New Geniepoint rapid at Morrisons in Plymouth. Have always found them reliable, at least on Chademo.
I think this response illustrates the problem...with no prejudice to the poster, it's helpful! - but if we are still able to say "there's one place I know of here" then provision is insufficient. The public charging pinch is coming and it's not going to be pretty....summer 2021 on those routes sounds like a good guess as to where it will get difficult first.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I understand your concerns and accept you may be correct but the problem is there are too many unknowns. The biggest to me is there destination charging. eg I have 2 longdistance friends one happily allows me to granny charge and the other not really and thus i have to charge before i get there and charge whilst i am travelling around. So in a way the key is not the MSA etc but the destination charger at hotels/holiday camps/friends etc.

I note you do not say where you are or what car you have, conditions are not the same for all.

Today i make a journey that is right at my limit and if one of the chargers i pass is vacant i will top up for 10mins say, if not i just carry on only making the final decision to wait if necessary close back to home when i have i good handle on range v distance to go. I may just make the choice to eek out the mls at slower speed.

·
Registered
593 Posts
The network doesn’t even accommodate the current amount of cars. Rent a Tesla instead
That's depends on where you are and which ones you visit.

In the last few weeks I've visited many rapids and never had to queue once and had one unit that needed a restart.

As to the OPs original concern, I think you are possibly exaggerating EV take up. Yes it is growing, but not to the extent of swamping current infrastructure yet. If you look at the sales figures, they are still way out numbered by ICE cars.

Plan your journey well and check typical usage on ZapMap on the chargers you plan to use. You may be surprised to see "last used 5 days ago" messages on some of the ones you plan to use.

If it still concerns you and the budget allows, just hire a ICE car. No issue with that, if the vast majority of your miles are EV ones.

I'm planning our France/Italy holiday for next year and likely I'll be taking the EV to Paris and then hiring an ICE for the vast majority of the driving as I'm not comfortable with the French charging infrastructure. Keep it a holiday until you are ready for an "adventure".

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think this response illustrates the problem...with no prejudice to the poster, it's helpful! - but if we are still able to say "there's one place I know of here" then provision is insufficient. The public charging pinch is coming and it's not going to be pretty....summer 2021 on those routes sounds like a good guess as to where it will get difficult first.
The point is that there are new rapids and fast chargers going in across the country every month you just need to keep abreast of the changes and be prepared to go a few miles off plan to charge. When I drove an ICE vehicle I would still look for supermarkets or petrol stations to fill up rather than pay motorway service station prices.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts