Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Which of the following would cause you to stop using ChargeMaster/Polar?

• A monthly fee for membership

Votes: 24 63.2%
  • An annual fee for membership

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • A modest fee per charge (a little more than cost of electricity)

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • A high fee per charge (a lot more than cost of electricity)

Votes: 36 94.7%
  • Nothing would stop me!

Votes: 4 10.5%
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ChargeMaster will soon be charging fees, but they haven't yet said how much.

So, will you still use them?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
What do you mean "start"? it cost me "money" to get a CM card.. So they are already too expensive..
I have used CM maybe twice in the last year.. Both times when I visited Milton Keynes (fairly infrequent). That makes my average charge £5.
So far, it would have been cheaper to buy petrol for my Ampera!

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
What do you mean "start"? it cost me "money" to get a CM card.. So they are already too expensive..
I have used CM maybe twice in the last year.. Both times when I visited Milton Keynes (fairly infrequent). That makes my average charge £5.
So far, it would have been cheaper to buy petrol for my Ampera!
This is it, it already costs to get (some of) the cards, and it's tough just to "earn" that back in electricity alone. Even as a relatively "frequent charger" I doubt I've gained much at all over the six months I've had the car.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
If I regularly visited a car park with a CM post then maybe I'd have a different view.. but I don't, they are not in enough places to make it worth while for me yet. The thing that bugs me the most is that I live in the middle of the country sometimes I go north sometimes south sometimes east sometimes west.. I might have been able to use public chargers 10 times in the last year, but every one I get near one, it uses a DIFFERENT pay-for membership scheme.. it'd cost me far more to join them all than I'd get from joining, until then I have ZCW, and Petrol.

·
Registered
62 Posts
As I said, if the chargers are in locations that I frequent and would need to charge at, then yes, I would pay - I don't know why I wouldn't want to pay for a service I needed. Until we know what their proposed charges are, though, it's pointless to throw out random amounts - there are too many variables for that to be a worthwhile exercise.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I've found the Card Activated Polar Chargers at Waitrose stores always ICEd and the 2 Car Parks in Portsmouth; 1 is underground and can't get a 3G data signal so never works (Gunwharf Quays) and Craswell Street is temperamental; not to mention £3 to park for an hour vs £1 in the actual main Cascades shopping centre.

Frankly the only Polar charger I've found useful is Abingdon Waitrose Rapid Charger; and that doesn't need a card!

·
Banned
412 Posts
I didn't take the survey - it would be an error to have it known that some may be willing to pay. The system is working fine with no charges, why change it? Will people pay pounds for a few pennies worth of electricity? Let the businessmen and politicians work it out - you don't need an LSE degree!
======
Well, I wonder if Chargemaster have got themselves in a cleft-stick by taking the 'golden shilling', from BMW to operate the UK 'Charge Now' service. Those lucky BMW i3 owners get to pay a premium price for their cars, but then half to fork-out £40 per month (min) to access Charge Now! As far as I can see - they still have to pay when using Charge-your-Car. So it seems to be be a charge for a 'free service' to the rest of us! OK you have a nice App and a centralised record of charging data. For which I would want to pay zero!
======
However, I don't really think that there are enough BMW i3 owners out to have anyone spot that yet! Besides those that are able to pay £40K for an EV, would be the last people to accept charity-price fuel! BMW drivers may expect 'valet charging'.

There is another explanation though that is much more plausible. Why would a company as well managed as Chargemaster make an incomplete announcement on Twitter? Surely such a radical change to the business model would have been calculate with precision and a thorough risk-analyis done? In my view there are 2 clues:

1) the OLEV Call for Evidence input is currently being analysed right now and proposal are bing drawn up up by civil servants to modify the OLEV Strategy for Low-Emission Vehicles;

2) last week's announcement that there is going be a huge underspend in the Plugged-in Car funding.

I'm inclined to think that the Chargemaster's tweet message is aimed at those civil servants, who might re-prioritize the public spending - giving more of the money to hydrogen infrastructure - or other low-carbon solutions for buses, trucks and larger vans?

Chargemaster will be well aware that applying charging fees could stall the fledgling market BEV market. In my opinion, those charging post are symbolic of 'widespread publicly-available' charging! Some of us think they are already obsolete - but to the non-BEV owner (prospective purchaser) - the ubiquitous presence of these posts, is a source of security.

Will OLEV heed the gypsies' warning - hopefully not! Let market forces prevail

·
Registered
62 Posts
The BMW scheme is nearer £10 a month than £40 - but I agree, it is bad! If you take the monthly option, then you get the cable included - but at £10 a month, the cable is paid for in 16 months. And you still have to pay for the electricity you use once charges are introduced. By itself it makes no sense, but it's actually part of their "Electric Packages" option so it would come with servicing and/or car hire. Which are both equally pointless - servicing is cheaper to buy separately, and their car hire prices are likewise considerably more than hiring a BMW from a normal rental firm.

However, they do offer a more sensible alternative, which is to just buy the ChargeNow card (£20 one-off) and buy a cable or supply your own, much like the existing charge schemes.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
'dropping' implies that one has already had regular use of their charging posts.

I can only speak from my own personal experience - but with a current success rate of about 10% (attempts vs actually getting a charge), I certainly wouldn't consider paying for what they're offering at the moment.

If they are willing to invest in properly marking their bays, or co-operating with the car park owners to restrict access to eliminate ICEing (cones, lockable bollards, fines, even intelligent barriers) I would consider paying for such a service.

But being prepared to hand money over implies that you're prepared to rely on availability - and we all know how much of a joke that is at the moment. The BMW drivers relying on these posts for charging away-from-home are in for a big shock....

If CM are capable of sorting these issues out, I'd gladly pay a unit price per kWh slightly above wholesale. But there's no way I'd consider paying an monthly subscription for a service I'll probably be unable to use through the incompetence and laziness of others.

·
Banned
961 Posts
I think the most viable business model here is some kind of reservation service.

If you either can't charge at home (no parking etc) or you know that you will need a charge, then you likely would be prepared to pay a reasonable amount, so long as it is guaranteed.

Let me reserve a space using a mobile app - that adds value that I think people would pay for.

·
Banned
412 Posts
BMW's charging options for UK are a mess. The had plenty of time to get CCS in every dealer - but as far as I am aware - there are none? if you click on the Charge Now link - its in German! See: https://www.chargenow.com/cnde/
An i3 BEV without the 'rapid' option (£560) you will not be travelling far - on Type 2 - only! And as I understand it with the Rex - you can't have a Rapid Charger. So its 80 miles on the battery - 40 miles of the 'benny' and then its with stop every 40 mins for more petrol - or sit on a Chargemaster for hours-and-hours.
Chargemaster/ BMW - there are going to be unhappy owners!

Reactions: cjm_2013

·
Registered
62 Posts
You can have Rex and the Rapid Charger on the i3. And the Rex should give equivalent range to the battery, so 80~ each, not 80 and 40.

·
Banned
412 Posts
I think the most viable business model here is some kind of reservation service.
Who would pay for a reservation service - no one as far as I know. Besides if you have a CHAdeMo equipped car the Chargemaster (actually all operators of Type 2/ 13 amp posts) - is the 'choice of last resort'!

·
Banned
961 Posts
Who would pay for a reservation service - no one as far as I know. Besides if you have a CHAdeMo equipped car the Chargemaster (actually all operators of Type 2/ 13 amp posts) - is the 'choice of last resort'!
Anyone who can't charge at home or wants to guarantee they can get a charge to get back again. If you don't want to pay for reservation then you clearly don't actually need the charge...

Rapid charging is great when it works. Less so when it doesn't or someone else is ahead of you in the queue. If you are looking for an adventure then you can make a long distance journey using them, but for most people that seems a little bit crazy.

I've ordered an i3 Rex without rapid charging. I just don't see the point. The car will be full every morning and when I need to make a longer trip I don't want to stop for 30 minutes all the time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Reservations aren't suitable - we need a system that's as simple as refuelling an ICE. Ideally, this would include:
  • Non-ICEable charger spaces (a simple bollard that lowers when your RFID-equipped EV pulls up would do, or an NPRS camera in the charger for automated fines)
  • At least 99% uptime (redundant supplies if possible)
  • Multiple chargers in the same location - at least six
  • Live availability via an app
  • 24/7 immediate telephone assistance
All that would cost significant amounts of money, though...

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
How much are ChargeMaster, Nissan, Ecotricity, Pod Point etc putting into this, and how much is government funded / granted to them? It feels like they're looking to make money from tax-payer funded infrastructure, but that may be way off from the reality? Does anyone know?

·
Banned
412 Posts
You can have Rex and the Rapid Charger on the i3. And the Rex should give equivalent range to the battery, so 80~ each, not 80 and 40.
Thank you for the correction - then the Rex has currently two CCSs to choose from - Isle of Islay and Luton - but it will be Type-2 or petrol for the 500 miles between the two!
That only a jest - given an improved infrastructure the Rex will be 'great'!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts