Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Wind deflectors

8K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  Barfly 
#1 ·
Hi I was wondering if anyone know where I can get nissan leaf wind deflectors from nissan want £125 wich is way too high please help happy ev

#6 ·
Hi All - apologies for resurrecting an old post, but wanted to ask if people think that wind deflectors are very bad for the aerodynamics?

Just found this set of Hekos for £35 - I had a set by them on my 5 series BMW for about 4 years and they were great.

#17 ·
#7 ·
Why? In my 2 years with my Leaf 30 I never wanted to, or indeed needed to, drive with a window open. Come to think of it, the last time I did so in any car was in 1989, as all my subsequent vehicles have had climate control, as (obviously) does the Leaf.

#8 ·
Personally I like to open the window on my cars and in this country air conditioning is switched on about twice a year. When it's raining, the Leaf is a nightmare. The rain just runs down the inside of the doors. So the cure is....

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Trunk

I just bought these from the fleabay link posted earlier by @Scatamonky. They fit very well and I quite like the look of them.

Reactions: Kalimbakey
#10 ·
Is a dehumidifier really necessary in the UK? Climate control also uses battery power.

Anyway... I'm sure that I'm not alone in liking the window down sometimes while I'm driving. If it's too hot or too cold then fair enough but to never open a window just feels wrong.

Each to their own I suppose...

#11 ·
Yes!

Most leafs fog up whenever it gets cold and wet, especially if you carry passengers who breath in and out and have wet shoes and clothing!

Also in so far as I'm aware air-conditioning actually uses less power at speeds not much above 30mph than the drag of having a window open. If you ever intend to use air-con its a good idea to use it regularly anyway to help limit the build up of nasties in the system

#13 ·
I've also just fitted a set of Team Heko's, slot neatly into place, but getting the clips in required a hefty big shove using the square-ended blade of an all-steel tri-square.
But they're in, the leccy windows close ok, I just have to try driving with them.
I tend to like having the NSR window open a crack on motorway runs, to help throughput and allow use of a minimal fan setting.
Thoughts?
Ps, just posted separately seeking advice on how to demist reliably in heavy rain & poor visibility, whilst not over-rapid battery depletion. 30kwh 16-plate Leaf.
Richard.

#16 ·
I can't say that I've noticed any extra noise, but I haven't been listening for it. Now that y'all have mentioned it, I'm going to hear it aren't I?

I'm just back from a trip to see the family in Ireland and there was one point where I had to get across four lanes of motorway to be in the right hand lanes and found myself sitting at 85mph to be at the same speed as everyone else to "merge". It still sounded like a Leaf to me. :)

Yes. Those clips are pretty hard to push in. I used a big wide screwdriver. Make sure to get the clips the right way around. I wouldn't want to try getting one back out.

Demisting... In the rain I leave the fan running at about 30% with no heat and no AC (press the demist button, press AC and Heat buttons to turn them off, then set the fan speed). That seems to do enough for me.

Reactions: Kalimbakey
#15 ·
Since fitting all 4, my fastest has been 50mph, and to my ears there's increased noise, seems to be from the vertical section at the forward end of the fronts, guess there's eddy vortices in there...And that vertical bit also worsens the blind spot at the A+ pillar, ie aft of the tiny "quarter" light, noticeable so far at urban junctions, in bright light. Could be worse in poor light, thanks to the smoked effect of the Hekos.
Will try on M1 tomorrow, report further.

#18 ·
Thanks everyone. I decided to take a chance and buy the Team Heko ones. They arrived today. Fitted them in about 20 minutes, no issues and the windows didn't grab at all. They look really nice on a black Leaf, they follow the lines of the car perfectly. No photo's because the car's in the garage and it's just starting to rain! I'll fetch it out to clean it one of these days and take some photos then.

#20 ·
Took the leaf out for a faster than usual run today. It normally zips around town with occasional short bursts on the plethora of dual carriageways around Milton Keynes so there's no real scope to generate wind noise there! I found that above an indicated 60mph the wind noise from the deflectors becomes very noticeable. Below that there's none at all. It's like a switch is turned on at that speed. I can imagine it'd be quite annoying if you did lots of long journeys on motorways and dual carriageways. I didn't really notice any blind spot problems with the A pillars, maybe my sitting position is different!

#23 ·
Thank PJM MK, just ordered a set.....

It was wet in the South of England today, I cracked open my window for some fresh air and about half a cup of water was dumped on to my lap through the open window.

I could see the other customers in B & Q looking at the large wet patch on my jeans around my crotch area.... Embarrassing.

#28 ·
I fitted a set of these to my 2016 Tekna, easy fitting took 10 mins. The extra wind noise is noticeable only when doing 50mph+; if it was a petrol/deisel car it would be imperceptible.
It is also highly dependent on the ambient wind speed and direction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.