Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
OtleyBrock
Vauxhall Ampera 2014-20, waiting on e-Niro
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ampera is 6 weeks old now and I am a generally happy owner, but am looking at one or two possible warranty issues, seeking some guidance from my fellow owners on one.
From the day I picked it up my car has had a small but clear level of wind noise, a rustling sound rather than a whistle. It become apparent in my right ear at 50mph and is still clearly there (but not much louder) at 70. Is this a known feature, or does my car have a door seal issue ?
I'd go back to my dealer and compare with their demonstrator, but it's a 3 hour round trip so I thought I'd first seek some advice here first. What's others experience ?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Normally the Ampera is spookily wind noise free, so it sounds like a door seal has come loose somehow. Check around the door to check all the rubber's intact and check the door shuts cleanly and there are no strange panel gaps which might indicate previous door damage. Also make sure the window shuts all the way up and that the rubber seals all around the window are tight.

Hope this helps
Richard

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
427 Posts
You can try to fold up mirrors also. Before I had MB S class, wind noise was from broken seal of the mirror. I've been looking for the windows, door seals without any luck and then discovered about mirrors in one of the forums. The noise was disappearing when mirrors were folded:)

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've just noticed a section on diagnosing wind noise on page 178 of the workshop manual (I have just posted a link to the manual on another thread) - may be some help..?

·
Hyundai Kona convert...
229 Posts
Eerily quiet right up to around 80mph - and then a growing surge of general noise: more road noise than wind noise? I've been impressed by the overall build quality: door fit / finish, lack of rattles - by far the best quality in a Vauxhall I've ever known.

·
OtleyBrock
Vauxhall Ampera 2014-20, waiting on e-Niro
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback all, and the link @derekb, successfully downloaded. I'll do some more investigating at the weekend then get on to my dealer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts