Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Collected my Nissan Leaf a couple of weeks ago, so still getting use to all of this.

Living in Reading I love the idea of being able to charge from the Green Park Ecotricity Wind turbine

Friends think I'm mad for spending what I did on the Leaf, I see this as the future, they see it as money down the drain.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think if you in anywhere near Green Park and drive an EV this is sort of a holy place to visit

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
For Ampera owners I would say that spending that kind of money on a cable that you don't really need it's a pricey option. I have one because I also have a Leaf but if I didn't then I would not have bought a type2 to type1 cable. I have a petrol engine so why would I spend hours charging when I don't have to. I don't spend time charging with the Leaf because I want to but because i have to. I don't have to in the Ampera.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Indeed but I'll happily plug-in wherever I can, even if it's only for 30mins. I appreciate it won't add much range but if they are there then they need to be seen to be used. Our local garden centre, the one with the 15 charge points, I've not seen on EV use them yet, I hope to change that :)

·
Registered
705 Posts
I agree with Darren. It was a lot of money to buy a type 1 to 2 cable but the thought of arriving somewhere that I could have plugged my Ampera in would be disappointing. I am pleased to plug in at any opportunity. It is possible to plan journeys to have longer breaks whilst charging. You could even watch a DVD in the car.
Geoff

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I don't disagree with either of you. I too want to plug in whenever I can and I do. For example... I plug in to the POLAR unit at my local Waitrose so that they are seen to be used... as you do. But it is a very expensive option and at over £200 you will never get your money back.

Just so long as we don't give the wrong impression... we are doing it mainly to promote EVs and to show the charge stations are being used.

Surely you buy an Ampera precisely so you don't have to have those long breaks don't you? At least that is why most would get one. Nothing wrong with you watching a DVD while you charge but why would people do that if they can get on with their trip on petrol? Good on you for doing that but it isn't something many would do. I wouldn't for sure.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh we had that debate. Their reply was you could have bought a cheaper car and saved £3,000 on the price difference of the Leaf.

Anyway I'm more than happy being an adopter of an EV, it's my biggest and best gadget.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
yes you could buy a cheaper car but their are pouring 3000 a year down the drain, every year they own the car with EVs its a one time cost

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
So let's say you keep the car ten years. That's £30,000 saved.

Is mathematical education really that bad now? It's no wonder we'll all be speaking mandarin in twenty years.

EDIT

A while ago I did the comparison between the Ampera and an equivalent spec and performance diesel Astra. The purchase prices are more expensive than the Leaf, but the point remains the same.

This assumes that diesel gets more expensive at the same rate that it has for over 30 years (with very high R^2 - do not be fooled by the recent temporary and unsustainable tax cut) but doesn't include the advantages of 0 road tax and cheaper servicing. You can see that the Ampera comes out £20,000 ahead over its lifetime despite the £8000 higher purchase price at the time. That price has now dropped by around £2000.

Maybe ask your friends if they are happy about $2bn per day going from the West to the Middle East...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very good reply. The cost saving isn't a one off but an annual saving the life of the car.

Amazing savings on the Ampera vs Astra.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts