Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
ID3 Life
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the things that consistently gets held aloft in the reviews as a trophy winning design failure is the omission of independent switches for the rear windows.

Personally, in my decision to order an ID3 I never gave it a second thought. I can’t remember the last time I needed to operate the rear windows from the front so on that rare occasion I’m not gonna stress over an extra button push but I‘m interested in the real life point of view of those driving the car for some time now.

Is it an actual issue or simply a thing for reviewers to exercise their craft with?

🙂

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,520 Posts
It's a great idea. I always used to accidently open the rear windows when there was loads of buttons.
Never thought about it like that, but I have opened the rear windows by accident in my GTE...

Reactions: TomH

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Is it an actual issue or simply a thing for reviewers to exercise their craft with?
Mostly the latter - @cdlb pretty much nails that one.

Similar with the model 3 - so many reviews highlight the fact that there are no buttons to control the door mirrors with, but they're a set-and-forget in any car that has driver memory. I haven't felt the need to adjust mirrors in the 3 for about 18 months (since about a week after getting it) or in the Lexus in over 2 years (again, since not long after getting it). I'd argue that they're used less than rear window switches even so it's slightly surprising that VW didn't see fit to get rid of that control set too.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,686 Posts
Mostly the latter - @cdlb pretty much nails that one.

Similar with the model 3 - so many reviews highlight the fact that there are no buttons to control the door mirrors with, but they're a set-and-forget in any car that has driver memory. I haven't felt the need to adjust mirrors in the 3 for about 18 months (since about a week after getting it) or in the Lexus in over 2 years (again, since not long after getting it). I'd argue that they're used less than rear window switches even so it's slightly surprising that VW didn't see fit to get rid of that control set too.
No driver memory on the ID3, of course.

·
Registered
193 Posts
One of the things that consistently gets held aloft in the reviews as a trophy winning design failure is the omission of independent switches for the rear windows.

Personally, in my decision to order an ID3 I never gave it a second thought. I can’t remember the last time I needed to operate the rear windows from the front so on that rare occasion I’m not gonna stress over an extra button push but I‘m interested in the real life point of view of those driving the car for some time now.

🙂
Totally agree. It seems like an odd thing to focus on in so many of the reviews that I've read/watched so far. I don't see what the fuss is about.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Similarly the interior plastics. Nothing wrong with them.
I'd have thought that a lot of that is due to the price point and misplaced expectations. It's not a cheap car, and it seems like people still expect a solid mahogany interior with brass handles and himalayan carbon fibre inlays hand weaved by a blind monk. But I'm at the other extreme. I tend to not hug or sleep on the interior fascias, so don't really care what they're made of as long as they aren't distracting and don't rattle.

·
Registered
441 Posts
This is the same thing with climate controls, set and forget most of the time.

My criticism with those are that they are not lit, not because I want to be able change anything, but because I forget they're there at night and use the ledge as a thumb support when using the touch screen leading to temperature and volume changes!

·
Registered
ID3 Life
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My criticism with those are that they are not lit, not because I want to be able change anything, but because I forget they're there at night and use the ledge as a thumb support when using the touch screen leading to temperature and volume changes!
I suspect I’ll fall foul of that also.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
488 Posts
The controls are actually an improvement in functionality over my previous VAG group car, that had rear electric windows but all I could do as the driver was disable them, caused a few arguments with my daughter when she left it in that annoying position where the wind noise just reverberates round the cabin like a speaker building up feedback "SHUT THAT BLOODY WINDOW!"

·
Registered
Seat Ibiza- contemplating an ID.3
148 Posts
The Max and Tour trims get memory seats though don't they?

Regarding the plastics, I think a nicer door top trim would be good to have. The cabin seems more Polo than Golf, having sat in one a year ago in Berlin. But it's relatively minor, IMO.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts