Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering what the best treatment is out there for the exterior of windscreen. I was thinking of getting Halford's 'Duxback' but it's a bit of a rip off.
Can anyone recommend any similar treatments/DIY products?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Rain X
G5
Angel wax
Bluecol
Autoglym & Meguiars do one...
Not sure about any DIY products, as I'm not sure where to get rubbing alcohol from

·
Registered
501 Posts
Rain X
G5
Not sure about any DIY products, as I’m not sure where to get rubbing alcohol from
G5 last much longer than Rain X (only two I have tried)

You can get IPA (rubbing alcohol) on eBay etc

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
RainX is easy to apply but has a pitiful lifespan.

Best by far is Gtechniq G1. It's a pain to apply and relatively expensive, but it will last much longer and is truly fantastic.

G5 is a lesser treatment but a lot easier to apply.

·
Registered
470 Posts
You could add Power Maxed Rain Off to the list - relatively cheap, easy to apply, decent results and better longevity compared to Rain X. You need to use it regularly (as with most of these types of spray on/buff off glass sealants) to keep it working, otherwise you need to got for a pro-type sealant such as G1.

I prefer the cheaper sealants as I don’t mind re-applying it after every few washes.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Of the two I've used, Rain-X and the one that comes in two yellow bottles (can't remember the name), I don't think either worked as well as having silicone wiperblades which leave their own water repellent coating on the screen and they had an added benefit of not being damaged when used on an icy screen.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Was wondering what the best treatment is out there for the exterior of windscreen. I was thinking of getting Halford's 'Duxback' but it's a bit of a rip off.
Can anyone recommend any similar treatments/DIY products?
Several years back I had the same question and carefully researched an alternative. I had got Duxback a few times but was finding it too expensive to justify as it is overpriced for what it is. Duxback is good though, lasts longer than products you apply yourself and seems to be more effective initially.

The top at the time I could find was a product called Carlack Glass Finish. I also bought Carlack Glass Clear to clean the windscreen before. I have found both products to be excellent, work well and be relatively easy to apply. The bottles last for multiple applications so quickly works out much cheaper than Duxback. I reckon the Carlack probably lasts about 3 months, so long enough to make it worth the bother. Carlack Glass finish scored much better than Rain X in this head to head review.

Carlack Glass Finish

It came 3rd but the first 2 products I found to be harder to obtain, and were a lot more expensive as you did not get the multiple applications of the Carlack product.

Reactions: momo1103

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
What do these products do that the wipers don't? (not being an 4rse, just genuinely don't know!)
The good ones, from 30-40mph upwards will negate the need for wiper blades in rain conditions. The water just beads and flies off with the airflow.

IMO it greatly improves visibility.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In my experience, G1 is hands down the best for semi-permanent. Although means you have to be travelling a bit quicker before the beading kicks in.

Angel Wax H2Go is a great cheaper alternative. Works at lower speeds but needs reapplying fairly frequently (once a month or so).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Personally I've always purchased silicon wiper blades (PIAA).
Not cheap but they keep the water beading for many years and last a lot longer than normal wiper blades.
Never needed to use rain X since switching.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Anyone here who's used Gtechniq G1 - have you had any problem with wiper juddering, smearing or patchiness as it wear down?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts