Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Kona Premium Se - 64k , 2020 model.
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've got a 12in crack on our windscreen. Autoglass says because it is high tech incl cruise control and wet weather detection that fitting has to be done at a service centre rather than at home. This is because they need to recalibrate everything after the new window is installed. Not only that but the windscreen needs to be ordered. So replacement will be in a week, fri 31st. So I have to drive over to Swindon and come back 3 hours later.

Bear in mind we're post lockdown so their facilities eg cafe and toilets closed. Also they're on an industrial estate and I'll be there for 3 hours.

Not happy! All suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Tell them if they can't even provide a toilet you have no faith in their ability to fit a windscreen and you'll look for another supplier.

·
Registered
514 Posts
That is the downside of modern cars! If you had a humble car it would be a roadside or at home job. If you have a big car it becomes a two person job and if you have a high tech car its a depot job.There is no way round this if you want everything to work afterwards. At least my local AutoGlass is on a small industrial estate 25 minutes walk from a garden centre.
Is there another depot not too much further away with access to civilisation? Failing that take a flask, sandwiches, portable radio and a folding chair. Also book for a dry day!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I suggest they can collect the car and return it. If it's being repaired under insurance then it depends what the terms of the policy say, I guess.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Take a bike and explore the wonders of Swindon....
Hmm, how many times can I go around the magic roundabout system!

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
I'm not sure toilet provision ability correlates with window fitting ability
Not directly.
But if the company or local branch cares that little about it's customers' needs I'd wonder about their attitude to their customers' cars.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
We've got a 12in crack on our windscreen. Autoglass says because it is high tech incl cruise control and wet weather detection that fitting has to be done at a service centre rather than at home. This is because they need to recalibrate everything after the new window is installed. Not only that but the windscreen needs to be ordered. So replacement will be in a week, fri 31st. So I have to drive over to Swindon and come back 3 hours later.
That's odd. When my i3 needed its windscreen replaced Autoglass were happy to do it at my home then they recalibrated the active cruise control while I drove and chatted with the guy doing it. I wonder whether the Kona really is harder or if you just got someone who doesn't know what they're talking about?

The i3 recalibration simply involved them plugging in a box and me driving at a steady speed while it counted up to say it was completed.

Having to order it in sounds about right though. For my i3 they had to order it in then they had to reschedule because the first replacement turned up damaged. Then they got the damaged one confused with the undamaged one resulting the guy who was going to do most of the work phoning me up that morning to say he would be a few hours late as he was driving back to the warehouse to give them what for (and collect the undamaged one).

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I went to Autoglass in Swindon today in the heat. What do I find? They had the wrong windscreen and so unable to fit one to my car. So I need to go back when they have one in stock. The guy took the central panel off the windscreen behind the mirror and declared that he needed a replacement with a fitting to deal with windscreen mist detection. Further he said that many models (or is that some) have up to 30 different windscreen models to choose from. Hmm. Not best pleased.

If anyone has any thoughts about driving 40 miles each way for a fruitless windscreen replacement I would appreciated them.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I guess this is your insurers chosen contractor, in which case raise stink with your insurer. They got you into this mess and they use Autoglass to save themselves hassle and money. So give your insurer some grief. Do you have courtesy car cover on your insurance?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess this is your insurers chosen contractor, in which case raise stink with your insurer. They got you into this mess and they use Autoglass to save themselves hassle and money. So give your insurer some grief. Do you have courtesy car cover on your insurance?
Complaint just made requesting reimbursement for travel costs and an assurance I won't have a further wasted journey!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here in the U.S., we had our CMAX Energi windscreen replaced, they were able to do it at my office and it had cruise control and rain sensors and such, so not sure why they couldn't have done it mobile.

Of course in our case, it was cheaper to call Safelite directly than our insurance's $500 deductible (in the U.S. they only waive that if it can be repaired instead of replaced).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts