Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a freak event last week, a passing car threw up two stones at the same time which resulted in two chips on the windscreen, about 4 cm apart. One on its own might have been repairable, but the two together mean the windscreen must be replaced.
I now have the choice of using Autoglass (as my insurer LV wants) or paying £200 extra to use BMW. I am a bit nervous given the CFRP body that the windscreen will be integral to the body strength, so I want to ensure a BMW brand windscreen is used.
Anyone else have any experiences or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2015 BMW i3 REx 60ah, Solar Orange
80 Posts
Just use Autoglass. Paying BMW another £200 is ludicrous, considering you're claiming on your insurance. As far as I know there's only two variations anyway, one with the sun-strip, the other without. If in doubt, see the screen before it's installed to double check. I thought the green tint wasn't as prominent but I got knowhere with Autoglass and insurance company had moved on.

My wife has manage to get through two windscreens, accidents of course, but seems the i3 windscreen is particularly susceptible to chips and cracks.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The autoglass people are much more likely to be competent and practiced at windscreen changes than the BMW mechanic. Autoglass replaced the rear roof/screen on my Tesla with no fuss and it was better lined up than the one done at the factory.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Particularly those based on actual experience. I agree the glass co may know more than the BMW mechanic.
When I went back to LVE Insurance their selector chose a different provider - National Windscreens instead of Autoglass. I assume LVE have arrangements with more than one provider. Anyway, I have booked the replacement for next week. Will report back re how it goes.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Sadly, when it goes wrong it can be costly:

I would want confirmation that the guys have experience with the i3. They should, for example, ask whether the car has ACC.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the link. Will need to check with them carefully before they start the work. But like the poster of the message in the link "29705" I pretty much have no choice but to go with the insurance company's directive.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, via LV insurance, it ended up being National Windscreens (rather than Autoglass) who did the replacement. They must have both on their list.

National Windscreens sent their top dog to do the work. He said he had done "100s" of i3s and does all the expensive, exotic or unusual vehicles they get. He also trains the other fitters. Watching him, he knew exactly what he was doing. Quick and methodical. Very re-assuring.

Unfortunately, however, the replacement windscreen has developed a stress fracture at its base, only two days later. So it needs to be done again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm afraid I have to join the club. Just got a double windscreen chip, when a passing car launched a stone (stones?) at me. Windscreen replacement needed. My insurer sent me to Autoglass. They claim: "We have fixed glass for 226 BMW i3 customers in the last six months!". Considering how few i3s are on the road, this looks like a plague!

·
Registered
34 Posts
The next appointment available is in three and a half weeks (!!!). Also, it is a local KwikFit centre. Apparently, AutoGlass works from there. I'm not impressed.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It may be that AutoGlass want to do the work at a fitting centre rather than on your driveway. My work was done on site rather than at a centre.

My windscreen has been replaced again due the stress fracture which occured the first time. I found National Windscreens okay to deal with - no hassles in scheduling the re-work.

The mouldings above the side windows are removed and re-installed as part of the fitting process. I have a concern that they have not been replaced properly where they meet the mouldings above the rearmost side windows. Want to check another i3 to confirm. If necessary I will need to contact National Windscreens yet again.

Could I ask you what you think? Here is a picture:

20210514-IMG_2101.jpg 20210514-IMG_2100.jpg

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. That's helpful to know. Maybe I am becoming too critical! Good luck with your window replacement too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts