Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've encountered an intermittent issue with my windscreen wipers, where they stop working. They intermittently stop work when I use the wiper stalk (not set in auto....) but then restart work on their own (without using the stalk, as if the previous use / request has been stored). When it happened this morning, I could still use the rear wiper OK.
Has anyone else experienced this? I have called my dealer, and they say there are known issues.

I have briefly checked the stalk and motor connections, but nothing obvious.

Any sensible suggestions, appreciated.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Hi, I've encountered an intermittent issue with my windscreen wipers, where they stop working. They intermittently stop work when I use the wiper stalk (not set in auto....) but then restart work on their own (without using the stalk, as if the previous use / request has been stored). When it happened this morning, I could still use the rear wiper OK.
Has anyone else experienced this? I have called my dealer, and they say there are known issues.

I have briefly checked the stalk and motor connections, but nothing obvious.

Any sensible suggestions, appreciated.
Lee - You've had no bites on this, I wonder if the auto rain sensor on the windscreen is giving you issues. That sort of works on mine but it seems very flaky to me. For instance when it's teeming, the wipers go at normal speed, when it's just a drizzle they go like hell sometimes.

Cheers Tony.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Tony, I don't think its that, as the manual request does work either when trying to operate during the non responsive period. Additional, they stopped yesterday with the washer sequence -water sprayed, but no wipers.
Really confusing.....
I'm gonna investigate further at the weekend to see if it can find the root cause.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Hi Tony, I don't think its that, as the manual request does work either when trying to operate during the non responsive period. Additional, they stopped yesterday with the washer sequence -water sprayed, but no wipers.
Really confusing.....
I'm gonna investigate further at the weekend to see if it can find the root cause.
Check with LeafSpy to see if there are error codes-you mat be able to clear them and rectify the problem!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lee - You've had no bites on this, I wonder if the auto rain sensor on the windscreen is giving you issues. That sort of works on mine but it seems very flaky to me. For instance when it's teeming, the wipers go at normal speed, when it's just a drizzle they go like hell sometimes.

Cheers Tony.
Hi Tony,
It just randomly stops working altogether (even the manual request).

I'm gonna spend abit time on it tomorrow to see if I can pin point the root cause before hand over to the dealer (booked in Monday).
Cheers

Lee

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,012 Posts
Probably not applicable in this particular case but in general over the years it's been shown that a Leaf is quite sensitive to low voltage in the 12v DC ancillary battery. And a low voltage can produce bizarre and random events in any electrical equipment. Easy enough to check and attach a 12v charger for a few hours to eliminate that from the investigation. See numerous threads on this subject in the forum search facility.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update, the dealer 'thinks' its the wiper and had been replaced at my cost of £280. Only 4 month put of warranty.
I have said, I won't be the cash cow to fund the diagnosis if the fault persists.

Watch this space.

Thanks for all your comments.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Update, the dealer 'thinks' its the wiper and had been replaced at my cost of £280. Only 4 month put of warranty.
I have said, I won't be the cash cow to fund the diagnosis if the fault persists.

Watch this space.

Thanks for all your comments.
That's an expensive piece of rubber!!!!! Surely you mean the motor.....even so blo$dy dear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts