Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving along yesterday and the left wing mirror glass fell clean off and smashed on the road!

Garage have said warranty doesn't cover it, so just wondering if anyone has replaced it before and which part I need to order? It looks like the backing plate is still in the mirror housing - it's sort of matt black. Not sticky at all.

Is it possible just to buy the glass, or should I get the whole glass and backing?

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
There are plenty on eBay for around a tenner.

If you’ve still got the rest of the mirror, ie it’s just the glass that has de-bonded from the double sided tape, then an eBay special will be fine.

Pick one that just has the double sided tape on the back rather than any plastic bits. The right hand one I purchased also had the wide angle part like the factory mirror.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Hi everybody on the GTE site !.
I have now sold my beloved GTE and gone full BEV !.
Love it !.
Regarding the mirror, it’s all been said by fellow members really.
You can’t just buy the glass from the “Steelers”.
It glass comes bonded ( but not very well it appears ) to the heated backing plate.
They will supply you with the new assembly if you cross their palms with about £40 coins !.
My drivers mirror just crashed to the ground on the drive after closing the door !.
Clearly the bonding agent between the glass and the backing plate is not fit for purpose !.
As suggested, get an EBay replacement glass !.
Get one for the other side while you are about it !.
Trust me, you will need one.
About £6 ish each .......... comes to mind.
Installing a complete unit from the dealer CAN be a little tricky anyway because the clips are REALLY strong.
If you apply a lot of pressure in the wrong place on the glass, you can break your new £40 glass and heart !.
Go down the EBay route !.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,666 Posts
Here is my story: Woke up one morning and as usual got in the car. Saw my passenger side mirror was missing. After brief investigation, identified the culprit on the video from my house webcam: a darkhoodied individual removing it in a manner of seconds in the dark of midnight.

And now the point of the story: are you sure someone did not attempt to steal yours?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,666 Posts
I think it just fell out and smashed onto the floor !.
Sure, this is what you saw.... but how certain are you that someone did not dislodge it from its original place? But could not actually get the deed done?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sure, this is what you saw.... but how certain are you that someone did not dislodge it from its original place? But could not actually get the deed done?
Mine was falling off similar to Carty's. The glue they use is not very heat resistant over time as in a country like ours the heating element will be used quite often. I caught the mirror while I was changing the indicators to sweeping ones. Glued it back on using heat resistant ABS plastic epoxy glue.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My near side one came away from the backing whilst I was washing the car. Local main dealer suggested that I had left the switch in the heated position for too long and it was a known problem!!
Got some Evo Stick Serious Glue and it’s been on since. Jinked it now!!

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Local main dealer suggested that I had left the switch in the heated position for too long and it was a known problem!!
Again - This is total B.S. from the dealers.
The heated door mirrors have a maximum time delay built into them.
As does the heated rear window.
They will both "Time Out" and turn off if you forget you have turned them on.
It is simply a case of the bonding agent between the glass and the backing plate is breaking down over a period of time.
It is not fit for purpose.
I had it suggested to me that I had "Clipped" another car with the mirror and that is why the mirror glass had smashed !.
Yeah right - That is why the mirror housing as zero percent damage to it, you idiot.
The car had been sitting on the drive for two weeks while we where away on holiday.
The mirrors where turned in and up, because the car was locked.
On our day of return, I unlocked the car with the fob and entered the cabin.
As soon as I shut the door, the mirror glass crashed to the ground.
The glass had clearly let go of the bonding agent, but the glass was held against the backing plate because of the angle of the mirror when the doors are locked.
Some how, I managed to open the door okay.
But the minute I pulled the door shut, the glass fell out.
I guess the when washing the car, the shampoo etc may help degrade the bonding agent over time as well.
Effectively, its held in with a very thin film of double sided tape as best as I could see !.
A thin film of translucent mastic around the edge, would have been used to replace it, had I managed to catch the glass before it hit the deck !.
I had the very same thing happen to a Ford I owned about 20 years ago.
But you could just buy the glass for that car from Ford !.
No wonder VW had the glass in stock when mine smashed.
The parts guy said :- "Yeah, we sell loads of these".
NO SHIT ! - I replied, that must be the most expensive 8" inch piece of double sided tape in the world !.
Yet another money spinner from VW folks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine was falling off similar to Carty's. The glue they use is not very heat resistant over time as in a country like ours the heating element will be used quite often. I caught the mirror while I was changing the indicators to sweeping ones. Glued it back on using heat resistant ABS plastic epoxy glue.
Which make of glue did you use?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Which make of glue did you use?
The plastic backing is ABS so I used Unibond Plastic Epoxy

Center the plastic as much as possible and stick together, don't use too much as when you clamp the two piece together the glue will spread. If you using clamps rember that the mirror is slightly curved so clamp at the edges, if you are using weight to seal the bond try not to use something too heavy as it could break the glass.
The glue should set after 5 minutes but I kept it clamped for a couple of hours. The mirror heating will still work but due to the glue it will take slightly longer to heat up.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Thin line of translucent ( clear ) mastic between the glass and the backing plate to replace the rubbish OEM tape.
Support the glass until the mastic cures.

·
Registered
53 Posts
This happened to me on Wednesday when leaving a local garage. Drove over a slight bump and the driver side glass fell out. Relatively easy to find a replacement online (not from VW!!) which I'm expecting to arrive Saturday.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Nice little earner for VW this one !.
Sell the glass and the backing plate for around £50 for the sake of a piece of glass at about £6.
Nothing wrong with the glass or the backing plate, just shite two sided tape to attach them together !.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts